Projects per year
Current research in Engineering falls into two areas: Advanced Materials and Sustainable Energy. We are working on cutting-edge technologies that have wide and important applications, from the role of graphene in energy storage and water purification membranes to next generation of printing techniques and reliability of renewables as well as optical fibre sensors, self-cleaning surfaces and efficient energy transport technologies. As we continue to grow, we anticipate broadening this research portfolio to include other disciplines within Engineering.
Our primary research themes are:
- Graphene and nanostructured materials
- High-resolution drop-on-demand printing technology
- Electrospray deposition of functional materials
- Nanotechnology in photovoltaics and energy buildings
- Self-cleaning surfaces
- Phase-change on functional surfaces
- Efficient energy transport
- Thin film deposition
- Optical fibre sensors and biosensors based on nanostructured coatings
Modelling and Simulation in Engineering Systems
- Optimisation-driven design
- Energy-efficient structures
- Low-speed impact analysis
- Solar radiation and PV performance prediction
- Modelling of light propagation across optical waveguides and optical fibre sensors behaviour
Low Carbon & Renewable Energy Systems
- Energy and fuels from biomass and waste
- Intelligent energy buildings
- Carbon recycling and carbon capture
- PV characterization, degradation and diagnostics
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/10/21 → 30/09/22
Lettice, F., Alexander, M., Askounis, A., Baker, A., Cammidge, A., Chao, Y., Fabian, L., Fielden, J., Hernaez Saenz De Zaitigui, M., Hui, O., Kaplani, E., Khimyak, Y., Liss, P., Lord, R., Marin, M. J., Mayes, A., Melendi-Espina, S., Nolte, S., Romanov, A., Saeed, A., Sobolewski, A., Tolhurst, T. & Wright, J.
6/11/20 → 5/05/22
Reducing the ‘levelised cost of energy’ in offshore wind through a disruptive fault diagnosis technology, SmartCMS
1/11/20 → 31/01/22
[Fe(CN)6] vacancy-boosting oxygen evolution activity of Co-based Prussian blue analogues for hybrid sodium-air batteryKang, Y., Wang, S., San Hui, K., Li, H-F., Liang, F., Wu, X-L., Zhang, Q., Zhou, W., Chen, L., Chen, F. & Hui, K. N., Jun 2021, In: Materials Today Energy. 20, 100572.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review3 Citations (Scopus)
Adaptive multi-level search for global optimization: An integrated swarm intelligence-metamodelling techniqueDong, G., Liu, C., Liu, D. & Mao, X., 4 Mar 2021, In: Applied Sciences. 11, 5, 2277.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile10 Downloads (Pure)
Atkin, C. & Ponnusami, S., 10 Aug 2021, In: Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 920, A29.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)6 Downloads (Pure)