Projects per year
- 1985: B.Sc. (Hons.) Environmental Sciences, Lancaster University
- 1988: Ph.D. Thesis title: The simulation of lava flows with small scale models; Lancaster University
- 1992: Diploma in Environmental Impact Assessment; University of Wales, Aberystwyth
- Chair of Extenuating Circumstances Panel
- Course Director, MSc Environmental Assessment and Management
- Module Director, ENV-7020A Environmental Assessment Theory
- Module Director, ENV-7021K Environmental Assessment Effectiveness
I am a Senior Lecturer in Environmental Management at the University of East Anglia, have over 20 years' experience in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and am currently Course Director of a full-time MSc programme on Environmental Assessment and Management.
Much of my research (some funded by the European Commission and some by Defra) has been focussed in the nuclear field, particularly with respect to the application of environmental assessment at project and strategic levels to the problem of radioactive waste management and nuclear power plant decommissioning. I am currently a member of the Sustainability Assessment Group of the Nuclear Decommisiong Authority's Radioactive Waste Management Directorate.
The energy theme continues through recent work looking at the potential implications of biomass crop planting (of willow and miscanthus) on a regional scale in England. I have also conducted research on improving the consideration of health in planning for the Welsh Assembly Government and have been involved in HIA research projects for the UK Environment Agency, Health Development Agency, Health Protection Agency and World Health Organization. I chair the publications committee of the International Association for Impact Assessment and am on the editorial boards of both Environmental Impact Assessment Review, and Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal. On the professional side, I work with the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) as a member of their Technical Sub-committee.
- 19/9/88-26/7/91: Research Technologist with Mars Confectionary, Dundee Road, Slough, Berks, SL1 4JX, U.K.
- 1/10/92-30/9/94: Research Assistant, EIA Unit, Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Aberystwyth.
- 1/10/94-30/6/03: Lecturer (Course Supervisor, EIA M.Sc. by distance learning), EIA Unit, Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Aberystwyth
- 1/07/03-present: Senior Lecturer in Environmental Management, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia
Key Research Interests and Expertise
My research interests revolve around the effectiveness of decision-making tools, including Environmental Impact Assessment, Strategic Environmental Assessment and Sustainability Assessment. This long standing interest has been reflected in research contracts and publications over the last 20 years, and encompasses research on discourses associated with the goals of impact assessment techniques.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- co-Chair Emerging Technologies section of the International Association for Impact Assessment (IAIA)
- Editor-in-Chief Environmental Impact Assessment Review - Current
- Editorial Board member Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal - 2010-2015
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 6 Finished
Biomass energy - optimising its contribution to poverty reduction and ecosystem services (Lead IIED)
Bond, A. & Macqueen, D.
1/08/10 → 30/10/10
UKERC2 - Proposal for providing work to continue activity of the UK Energy Research Centre (UKERC) 2009 - 2014 - (Linked to R22013)
1/05/09 → 30/04/14
Building an interdisciplinary collaborative programme in Business, Environment, Science and Technology
Bond, A., Brown, L., Clarke (La Trobe University), M., Deane, E., Finlay, D., Morrison-Saunders (Murdoch Uni), A., Muhar, A., Rodger (Uni of Newcastle, NSW), J., Sanden, P., Simmons (Flinders Uni, Australia), C. & Wheldrake, J.
1/05/06 → 15/06/10
Bond, A., Pope, J. & Retief, F., Jul 2021, In: Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 89, 10 p., 106596.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review1 Citation (Scopus)
Taking an environmental ethics perspective to understand what we should expect from EIA in terms of biodiversity protectionBond, A., Pope, J., Morrison-Saunders, A. & Retief, F., Jan 2021, In: Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 86, 106508.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article2 Citations (Scopus)
Bond, A. & Retief, F., Feb 2021, In: Environmental Management. 67, p. 424–435 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Bond, A., Morrison-Saunders, A., Retief, F. & Doelle, M., 14 May 2020, The Conversation.
Research output: Contribution to specialist publication › ArticleOpen Access
Bond, A., Pope, J. & Alberts, R. C., 16 Sep 2020, In: Koedoe. 62, 1, p. 1-9 9 p., a1631.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)45 Downloads (Pure)