Projects per year
I am an Associate Professor in Economics, and obtained my Ph.D. from the University of Essex.
Member of the Centre for Behavioural and Experimental Social Science (CBESS) at UEA.
- Co-Investigator (with Arnold Polanski) on British Academy funded project, Machine Learning and Negotiation. The project started October 2020 and runs for 18 months.
- Principal Investigator on British Academy Small Research Grant, "Cooperative Bargaining Situations" (with Maria Montero, University of Nottingham). The project began April 2014 and ran for 18 months.
- Principal Investigator on Leverhulme Trust Research Grant, "Understanding Unstructured Bargaining Situations". The project ran until March 2013.
- I was Principal Investigator and my colleague Bob Sugden was Co-Investigator on the ESRC sponsored research project, "Understanding Focal Points in Bargaining Situations", (grant RES-000-22-3322). This project ran until October 2010.
- British Academy Small Research Grant for the project "Focality and Complexity in Bargaining Situations". This project ended March 2012.
My personal home page, with downloadable publications and working papers, is available here:
I have refereed for American Economic Review, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Journal of Public Economics, Public Choice, European Economic Review, Journal of Economic Psychology, Journal of Socio-Economics, Journal of Theoretical Biology, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, The Economic Journal, The Cambridge Journal of Economics and The Southern Economic Journal.
I am a member of the Royal Economic Society and the Game Theory Society.
I am a member of the ESRC Peer Review College, and have reviewed grants for ESRC and NSF.
I am an external examiner for Warwick Business School.
PhD Supervision Interests
I am happy to supervise students on novel and interesting topics within experimental and behavioural economics, and within economic theory. Feel free to get in touch with me.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
General research interests: Behavioural economics, experimental economics, microeconomics, industrial organization, and strategic analysis (game theory).
Current research interests: Consumer negotiation. Market design. Behavioural price discrimination. Identifying and implementing behavioural interventions in organizations. Algorithmic fairness and accountability in markets. Focal points in dynamic bargaining situations. Decision making under time pressure. Emergence of conventions. Coalition formation. Bargaining and renegotiation.
See my personal web page for more details.
I am currently the school's PhD Training Officer.
I currently lecture on the module, Behavioural Economics.
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Essex
Award Date: 1 Jan 2000
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/10/20 → 27/03/22
Poulsen, A. & Montero, M.
1/04/14 → 20/12/16
Starmer, C., Turocy, T., Barr, A., Brown, G., Chater, N., Cubitt, R., Fatas, E., Gathergood, J., Gosling, S., Hargreaves-Heap, S., Lomes, G., MacKay, R., Poulsen, A., Read, D., Stewart, N., Sugden, R. & Zizzo, D.
31/12/12 → 30/12/16
1/04/11 → 30/06/13
1/03/10 → 1/09/11
Poulsen, A., 9 Jul 2021, In : Management Science.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile8 Downloads (Pure)
Poulsen, A., Dec 2019, In : Journal of the European Economic Association. 17, 6, p. 1941–1970 30 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)23 Downloads (Pure)
Poulsen, A., Sugden, R. & Tsutsui, K., Mar 2019, In : Games and Economic Behavior. 114, p. 193-214 22 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile9 Citations (Scopus)26 Downloads (Pure)
Poulsen, A. & Roos, M., Mar 2017, In : Games and Economic Behavior. 102, p. 687–699 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)14 Downloads (Pure)
Bett, Z., Poulsen, A. & Poulsen, O., Feb 2016, In : Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics. 60, p. 29-34 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile5 Citations (Scopus)10 Downloads (Pure)