Projects per year
My academic background is in human geography and since I moved to UEA in 1990 I have been involved in a range of projects concerned with applications of geographical information systems (GIS), landscape visualisation software and statistical techniques.
At present I have particular interests in issues of rural land-use change, natural capital and ecosystem services, future energy pathways and catchment management. My main research projects are:
Co-leader of the Wensum Demonstration Test Catchment project (2010-17) (http://www.wensumalliance.org.uk) funded by Defra and the Environment Agency.
Co-I and Theme Leader for work on green infrastructure and GIS applications in the ESRC-funded Business and Local Government Data Research Centre (BLGDRC, 2014-19) http://www.blgdataresearch.org.
PI on a NERC funded ADVENT consortium grant (ADdressing Valuation of Energy and Nature Together, 2015-20) which is developing conceptual frameworks and modelling tools to integrate the analysis of prospective UK energy pathways with considerations relating to the value of natural capital (http://www.ukerc.ac.uk/programmes/challenges/advent.html).
PI on a NERC International Opportunities Fund project KAPtEN (Knowledge Assessment Platform for the valuation of Energy and Nature together, 2016-19) linked to ADVENT.
- 1977-80: UG Student, Dept. of Geography, UCW Aberystwyth.
- 1980-83: PhD Student, Dept. of Geography, UCW Aberystwyth.
- 1983-84: Research Associate, Dept. of Geography, University of Lancaster.
- 1984-90: Teaching Fellow, Dept. of Geography, University of Lancaster.
- 1990-96: Lecturer, School of Environmental Sciences, UEA.
- 1996-2005: Senior Lecturer, School of Environmental Sciences, UEA.
- 2005-07: Reader, School of Environmental Sciences, UEA.
- 2007-Date: Professor of Geography, School of Environmental Sciences, UEA.
- 2010-15: Deputy Head of School, School of Environmental Sciences, UEA.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Applications of geographical information systems (GIS) and statistical methods in the geographical and environmental sciences, particularly with respect to landscape planning and visualisation; catchment management, renewable energy and environmental economics.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- Social Sciences Sector Head
- BSc Geography Course Director
- Session Chair, Digital Landscape Architecture 2014, ETH Zurich - May 2014
- Plenary Speaker, International Conference on Environmental and Occupational Health (ICEOH) 2014, Putrajaya, Malaysia - April 2014
- Steering group member for the UKERC Energy Futures under Uncertainty Flagship project - 2012-2014
- Editorial Board Member: Health and Place - 2005-2010
- Editorial Board Member: Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design - 2004-2008
- Chair of the Geography of Health Research Group of the Royal Geographical Society-Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG) - 2002-2005
- Member of the Steering Committee for the GIS Research UK (GISRUK) conference series. Organiser of the 2004 conference held at the University of East Anglia in April 2004 - 2000-2007
- Editorial Board Member: Computers, Environment & Urban Systems - 1997-2008
- Secretary/Treasurer of the Quantitative Methods Research Group of the Royal Geographical Society-Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG) - 1991-1994
Geographical information systems, landscape planning and visualisation, catchment management, environmental implications of future energy pathways.
Since joining UEA in 1990 I have contributed to modules on environmental epidemiology, regional planning, waste management, catchment management, research skills, concepts and methods in geography and geographical information systems (GIS). My teaching responsibilities now focus mainly on GIS, human geography and catchment management.
Areas Of Expertise
GEOGRAPHY||GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS||LANDSCAPE PLANNING AND VISUALISATION||CATCHMENT MANAGEMENT||ENERGY AND ENVIRONMENT
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Devlopment Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/07/19 → 31/12/21
Cooper, R., Hama-Aziz, Z., Hiscock, K., Lovett, A., Vrain, E., Dugdale, S., Sunnenberg, G., Dockerty, T., Hovesen, P. & Noble, L., Aug 2020, In: Soil and Tillage Research. 202, 13 p., 104648.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review9 Citations (Scopus)
Temporal hydrochemical dynamics of the River Wensum, UK: Observations from long-term high-resolution monitoring (2011–2018)Cooper, R. J., Hiscock, K. M., Lovett, A. A., Dugdale, S. J., Sünnenberg, G. & Vrain, E., 1 Jul 2020, In: Science of the Total Environment. 724, 138253.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Citations (Scopus)
Lovett, A. (ed.) & Albert, C. (ed.), 2019, Dordrecht: Springer.
Research output: Book/Report › Book
Cooper, R. J., Hiscock, K. M. & Lovett, A. A., 26 Jun 2019, Landscape Planning with Ecosystem Services. von Haaren, C., Lovett, A. A. & Albert, C. (eds.). Springer, Dordrecht, p. 359-379 21 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter
Using word clouds to present farmers’ perceptions of advisory services on pollution mitigation measuresVrain, E. & Lovett, A., 29 Jul 2019, In: Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. 2019
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)14 Downloads (Pure)