Projects per year
Key Research Interests and Expertise
My main research interests include assessment of upper and lower airway function and disease activity using physiological assessment and surrogate measures of airway inflammation including bronchial and nasal challenge testing, induced sputum examination, nasal lavage and epithelial sampling and exhaled gas analysis. I have an interest in the pharmacological, nutritional and environmental effects on respiratory airways disease including asthma, rhinitis, emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Other research interests include the effect of matrix metalloproteases on airway remodelling and the delivery of drugs to the airways.
Research Group Membership
Areas Of Expertise
- 2000 MD University of Edinburgh
- March 1995 MRCP (UK)
- July 1992 MB ChB, University of Edinburgh
I have an interest in the delivery of clinical teaching to undergraduate and post-graduate students especially in the areas of Respiratory Medicine and General Medicine. In particular I have an interest in alternative, non-lecture based, teaching methods for undergraduate students. Teaching activities include:
- Respiratory Unit Team Leader
- PBL Tutor
- Personal Advisor
- Lecturer and Seminar Leader in Respiratory Medicine and Clinical Pharmacology
- Student Research Project Supervisor
- Academic F2 programme leader
- MBBS Unit 5 (Respiratory) Team Leader
- Academic F2 Co-ordinator
- Clinical Research and Trials Unit team member
- MBBS Curriculum Development team member
- Scadding-Morriston Davies Fellow 2002-2003
- Finalist of the Schering Plough International Young Researcher 2000. Rome, Italy 29 October 1999
- Winner of the Fitzgerald-Peel Prize, Scottish Society of Physicians, Glasgow, October 2000
- 1 November 2004 to Present Clinical Senior Lecturer in Respiratory Health, University of East Anglia, Norwich and Honorary Consultant Physician in Respiratory Medicine, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colney Lane, Norwich, NR4 7UY.
- 1 June 2003 – 1 November 2004 Clinical Lecturer and Honorary Specialist Registrar in Clinical Pharmacology, Respiratory Medicine and General Medicine, Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital & Medical School, University of Dundee, DUNDEE
- 1 June 2002 – 1 June 2003 Clinical Fellow to Prof AE Holbrook, Prof FE Hargreave and PM O’Byrne. McMaster University 1200 Main Street, Hamilton Ontario Canada L8N 3Z5.
- 1 June 1998 – 1 June 2002 Clinical Lecturer and Honorary Specialist Registrar in Clinical Pharmacology, Respiratory Medicine and General Medicine, Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital & Medical School, University of Dundee, DUNDEE
- 1 August 1996- 1 June 1998 Clinical Research Fellow in Clinical Pharmacology and Honorary Registrar at Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Ninewells Hospital & Medical School, University of Dundee, DUNDEE
- 1 August 1994 – 31 July 1996 Senior House Officer in Medical Rotation at Salford Royal Hospitals NHS Trust, SALFORD
- 1 August 1993- 31 August 1994 Senior House Officer in Medical Rotation. Calderdale Healthcare, HALIFAX. HX3 0PW
- Feb 93-Aug 93 Medical HO: Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary, DUMFRIES
- Aug 92-Feb 93 Surgical HO: Western General Hospital, EDINBURGH
- Member of the working committee organised by the European Respiratory Society to produce guidelines for the use of nebulisers in Respiratory Medicine. (Eur Respir J 2001;18:228-242). Attended symposium to discuss my paper on “Drug Device Matching” at Weisbaden, Germany, 29 September 1999 to 1 October 1999
- Member of expert panel to attended a Phase II conference on “Allergic rhinits a burden to both the patient and NHS” BMA House, London, UK, 4 February 2000
- Invited to attend a “Dry Powder Inhaler Advisory Board” in New York 27-28 July 2000 to help with the launch of Asmanex, Key Pharmaceuticals, USA
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/06/21 → 31/05/24
The efficacy of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in people with aspirin exacerbated airways disease and uncontrolled asthma
1/04/21 → 31/03/24
Effect of high-intensity interval training in adolescents with asthma: the eXercise for Asthma with Commando Joe’s® (X4ACJ) trialWinn, C. O. N., Mackintosh, K. A., Eddolls, W. T. B., Stratton, G., Wilson, A. M., McNarry, M. A. & Davies, G. A., Jul 2021, In : Journal of Sport and Health Science. 10, 4, p. 488-498 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)21 Downloads (Pure)
Evaluating the delay prior to primary care presentation in patients with lung cancer: a cohort studyKotecha, J., Clark, A., Burton, M., Chan, W. Y., Menzies, D., Dernedde, U., Banham, R., Wilson, A. & Martin, W. C., Apr 2021, In : BJGP Open. 5, 2, BJGPO.2020.0130.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
Feasibility of investigating methylphenidate for the treatment of sarcoidosis-associated fatigue (the FaST-MP study) – a double-blind, parallel-arm randomised feasibility trialAtkins, C., Jones, A., Clark, A., Stockl, A., Fordham, R. & Wilson, A., 21 May 2021, In : BMJ Open Respiratory Research. 8, 1, e000814.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Stirling, S., Clark, A., Musgrave, S., Al Sallakh, M., Price, D., Davies, G., Pinnock, H., Pond, M., Sheikh, A., Sims, E., Walker, S. & Wilson, A., 15 Jun 2021, In : British Journal of General Practice.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Clark, A., Birring, S., Atkins, C., Whyte, M. & Wilson, A., 25 Jun 2021, (Accepted/In press) In : Chronic Respiratory Disease.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile5 Downloads (Pure)