Projects per year
I study the politics that arise when attempts are made to govern environmental problems using the tools and methods of public policy. I have examined how these different forms of politics have played out in relation to the use of policy instruments, policy coordination across sectors, policy innovation and policy dismantling. I undertake comparative work on these topics in policy areas such as climate change and sustainable development. I am particularly interested in governing processes that occur in the European Union, its Member States and countries outside of Europe.
I have published many papers and books on these topics, including The Tools of Policy Formulation (Edward Elgar, 2015, with John Turnpenny) and Durable by Design? (CUP, 2020, with Brendan Moore). Google Scholar ranks me amongst the world’s most highly cited researchers in the fields of environment policy, climate policy, environmental politics and the European Union.
In the past, I have taken on leadership roles in many large national and EU-funded projects, and produced work for a large number of knowledge users including the OECD, the UK Cabinet Office, the UK environment ministry (DEFRA), UK Foresight, the European Commission, the Dutch Environment Ministry, WWF and the RSPB. In 2015-16 I served as a specialist advisor to the UK Parliamentary Environmental Audit Committee during its inquiry on the EU referendum. In 2016-20, I served on the Scientific Committee of the European Environment Agency. Between 2014 and 2018 I Chaired COST Action IS1309 (Innovations in Climate Governance -INOGOV, 2014-8), an extensive, 28 country network of excellence which was ranked amongst the top 4 performing Actions (total = 669, 2014-2020)) for its "breakthrough" outputs and impact.
I currently sit on DEFRA's Science Advisory Council: Social Science Expert Group (2018- ) and the editorial boards of three international academic journals - West European Politics, Policy Sciences and Environmental Politics. Since 2021 I have served on British Triathlon’s Sustainability Commission which has been tasked with developing a sector-leading sustainability strategy for the swim, bike and run community in the UK. In 2022 I joined the Board of the Campaign for Social Science which aims to demonstrate how social science improves public policy, society and all our lives.
In 2008 I was elected a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences (FAcSS) and in 2022 a Fellow of the British Academy (FBA). In 2018 I was awarded Fellow membership of the Institute for Environmental Management and Assessment (FIEMA) in recognition of my policy impact work.
- Climate Change Policy and Politics post Paris: a large, five year ERC Advanced Grant project 'DeepDCarb' - Deep Decarbonisation: the Democratic Challenge of Navigating Governance Traps.
- The ESRC Centre for Climate Change and Social Transformations, specifically co-leading Theme 2 (Learning)
- Brexit and the Environment - an award winning ESRC funded academic network which seeks to understand what challenges and opportunities Brexit raises for environmental policy.
Tyndall - https://www.tyndall.ac.uk/people/andrew-jordan
Google scholar - http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=C1TMreMAAAAJ&hl=en
Researchgate - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrew_Jordan
Prizes and fellowships
Australian National University (2005-6); University of Queensland, Brisbane (2012)
Philip Leverhulme Prize fellowship (2003-6)
Leverhulme Trust Major Research Fellowship (2010-3)
Contemporary European Studies Association, annual best book prize (2007)
Harold D. Lasswell Prize for the best ariticle in Policy Sciences (2011)
Lloyds Science of Risk prize for Climate Change research (2012)
Insight of the Year - 2017 ENDS Environmental Impact Awards (for work on the EU Referendum)
Web of Science, Highly Cited Researcher – ranking in the top 1% by citations for field and publication year – one of only 180 social scientists in the world (2017).
ERC Advanced Grant (DeepDCarb) (2021-2026)
Fellow of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (FIEMA) (2018-)
Research Group or Lab Membership
Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research
Key Research Interests
Environmental politics and policy making; public policy; climate change; governance; policy coordination; policy appraisal; sustainable development .
- Jordan, A.J. and J. Turnpenny (eds) (2015) The Tools of Policy Formulation: Actors, Capacities, Venues and Effects. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham. ISBN: 9781783477036. Open Access
- Jordan, A.J., D. Huitema, H. van Asselt and J. Forster (eds) (2018) The Governance of Climate Change: Polycentricity in Action? Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. Open Access. ISBN: 9781108418126.
- Jordan, A.J. and B. Moore (2020) Durable by Design? Policy Feedback in A Changing Climate. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. i-xv+ 244 pp +Index. ISBN: 978-1-108-49001-6
- Jordan, A.J. and V. Gravey (ed.) (2021) Environmental Policy in the European Union: Contexts, Actors and Policy Dynamics (4e). Routledge: London. ISBN: 9781138392168.
- Rayner, T., Szulecki, A.J Jordan and S. Oberthur (eds) (2023) Handbook on European Union Climate Change Policy and Politics. Edward Elgar: Cheltenham. ISBN 978-1789906974. Open Access
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
Postgraduate Research Opportunities
I warmly welcome email enquiries from potential PhD students.
I am particularly keen to recruit people to work on the politics and policy of climate change, but will seriously consider applicants wanting to work on one of my other areas of interest. I will help you secure funding from the ESRC (UEA is a partner in the SeNSS DTP) and/or help with applications for external funding - recent PhD students have been funded by Commonwealth University fellowships, the Ford Foundation and studentships from their home countries.
My former PhD students are now forging their own independent careers inter alia at:
- University of Exeter (David Benson, Prof Duncan Russel)
- University of Pretoria (Camilla Adelle)
- Queens University Belfast (Viviane Gravey)
- University of Darmstadt (Jonas Schoenefeld)
- Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH) (Juliette Young)
- University of Sussex (Michelle Twena)
- UK local government (Kate Urwin)
- Free University Brussels (Brendan Moore)
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/03/21 → 28/02/26
1/09/18 → 31/08/21
Feasibility of Afforestation and Biomass energy with carbon capture storage for Greenhouse Gas Removal (FAB GGR)
Vaughan, N., Bateman, I., Binner, A., Chilvers, J., Day, B., Forster, J., Friedlingstein, P., Gilbert, P., Gough, C., Harper, A., Hastings, A., Jordan, A., Lenton, T., Lorenzoni, I., Rayner, T. & Roeder, M.
1/05/17 → 30/09/22
The durability–flexibility dialectic: The evolution of decarbonisation policies in the European UnionJordan, A. J. & Moore, B., 2023, In: Journal of European Public Policy. 30, 3, p. 425-444 20 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Citations (Scopus)9 Downloads (Pure)
Dudley, H., Jordan, A. & Lorenzoni, I., Sep 2022, In: Global Environmental Change. 76, 102589.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile31 Downloads (Pure)
Schaub, S., Tosun, J., Jordan, A. & Enguer, J., 21 Sep 2022, In: Politics and Governance. 10, 3, p. 226–238 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile7 Downloads (Pure)
Petrovics, D., Huitema, D. & Jordan, A., Oct 2022, In: Environmental Policy and Governance. 32, 5, p. 438-449 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile5 Citations (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Jordan, A., Lorenzoni, I., Tosun, J., Enguer i Saus, J., Geese, L., Kenny, J., Levario Saad, E., Moore, B. & Schaub, S. G., 18 Mar 2022, In: Climate Action. 1, 6.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile12 Downloads (Pure)