Projects per year
Key Research Interests and Expertise
My research concerns the respectful care of older people. I am particularly interested in participative or collaborative approaches to research and have recently been carrying out research into the organisational arrangements of care of older people using this approach. I also research in the area of children and young people and mental well-being. (This This work led on to a study examining organisational culture in the residential care of older people.)
Previous research has examined community interventions involving collaboration between multiple services and agencies.
- In the first of these, SPR:OCKET, Broadland District Council funded a year’s research project to inform the local, multi-agency community safety agenda. The research team first mapped out offending across the Broadland area, and from this data constructed a framework to sample case studies. The case studies revealed issues and processes that supported pathways out of offending behaviour, and threw light on how these could be improved or strengthened.
- The EVISSTA study examined a multi-agency strategy to reduce on-street sex-working.
I researched the impact of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and also how this may be affected by social inequalities. This project was developed in close collaboration with a large voluntary organisation for adults living with CFS/ME, and took the perspective of adults with CFS from various social backgrounds.
- Lecturer in Occupational Therapy 2003 to present
- Primary Mental Health Worker 2002-2003
- Head Occupational Therapist, Child and Adolescent Mental Health 2002
- Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist 1997-2002
- Senior Occupational Therapist in Child and Adolescent Mental Health 1990-1997
- Occupational Therapist in social services with people with disabilities 1987 - 1990
- Senior Occupational Therapist, adult mental health 1986-1987
- Occupational Therapist in adult mental health acute admissions and community 1985 -1986
- Doctorate in Education, UEA, 2005
- PG Cert HEP, UEA, 2007
- MA Applied Research in Education UEA, 1996
- Dip COT Dorset House Oxford, 1985
My teaching includes qualitative research methods, qualitative research synthesis, the impact of dementia, evidence based care in dementia, human development, occupational therapy interventions, psychological interventions.
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Exploring the lived experience in care homes of infection risk and transmission during the COVID-19 pandemic: a mixed-methods study to inform what we can learn for future infectious disease outbreaks (Understanding Care Home Infection Experiences - UCAIRE)
1/06/21 → 31/05/22
Arthur, A., Woodward, M., Buckner, S., Killett, A., LaFortune, L., Mathie, E., Mayrhofer, A. M., Thurman, J. & Goodman, C., 1 Jul 2021, In : Dementia. 20, 5, p. 1711-1722 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile13 Downloads (Pure)
A systematic review and narrative synthesis of the research provisions under the Mental Capacity Act (2005) in England and Wales: Recruitment of adults with capacity and communication difficultiesJimoh, O. F., Ryan, H., Killett, A., Shiggins, C., Langdon, P. E., Heywood, R. & Bunning, K., 1 Sep 2021, In : PLoS One. 16, 9, e0256697.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review articleOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Inclusion under the Mental Capacity Act (2005): A review of research policy guidance and governance structures in England and WalesRyan, H., Heywood, R., Jimoh, O., Killett, A., Langdon, P. E., Shiggins, C. & Bunning, K., Feb 2021, In : Health Expectations. 24, 1, p. 152-164 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile16 Downloads (Pure)
Organizational Support Experiences of Care Home and Home Care Staff in Sweden, Italy, Germany and the United Kingdom during the COVID-19 PandemicLethin, C., Kenkmann, A., Chiatti, C., Christensen, J., Backhouse, T., Killett, A., Fisher, O. & Fänge, A. M., 19 Jun 2021, In : Healthcare. 9, 6, 767.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
CAPAbility: Comparison of the JOURNEY II Bi-Cruciate Stabilised and GENESIS II total knee arthroplasty in performance and functional ability: protocol of a randomised controlled trialClarke, C., Pomeroy, V., Clark, A., Creelman, G., Hancock, N., Horton, S., Killett, A., Mann, C., Payerne, E., Toms, A., Roberts, G., Smith, T., Swart, A. M. & Mcnamara, I., 24 Feb 2020, In : Trials. 21, 15 p., 222.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile32 Downloads (Pure)