Projects per year
Key Research Interests
My research concerns the respectful care of older people. I am particularly interested in participative or collaborative approaches to research and have recently been carrying out research into the organisational arrangements of care of older people using this approach. I also research in the area of children and young people and mental well-being. (This This work led on to a study examining organisational culture in the residential care of older people.)
Previous research has examined community interventions involving collaboration between multiple services and agencies.
- In the first of these, SPR:OCKET, Broadland District Council funded a year’s research project to inform the local, multi-agency community safety agenda. The research team first mapped out offending across the Broadland area, and from this data constructed a framework to sample case studies. The case studies revealed issues and processes that supported pathways out of offending behaviour, and threw light on how these could be improved or strengthened.
- The EVISSTA study examined a multi-agency strategy to reduce on-street sex-working.
I researched the impact of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and also how this may be affected by social inequalities. This project was developed in close collaboration with a large voluntary organisation for adults living with CFS/ME, and took the perspective of adults with CFS from various social backgrounds.
- Lecturer in Occupational Therapy 2003 to present
- Primary Mental Health Worker 2002-2003
- Head Occupational Therapist, Child and Adolescent Mental Health 2002
- Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist 1997-2002
- Senior Occupational Therapist in Child and Adolescent Mental Health 1990-1997
- Occupational Therapist in social services with people with disabilities 1987 - 1990
- Senior Occupational Therapist, adult mental health 1986-1987
- Occupational Therapist in adult mental health acute admissions and community 1985 -1986
- Doctorate in Education, UEA, 2005
- PG Cert HEP, UEA, 2007
- MA Applied Research in Education UEA, 1996
- Dip COT Dorset House Oxford, 1985
My teaching includes qualitative research methods, qualitative research synthesis, the impact of dementia, evidence based care in dementia, human development, occupational therapy interventions, psychological interventions.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
The clinical, social and cost effectiveness of a decision support tool to optimise community-based tailored management of sleep (TIMES) for people living with dementia or mild cognitive impairment and sleep disturbance
1/02/22 → 31/01/27
Evidence synthesis from process evaluation of complex interventions conducted in UK care homes: a systematic review and contributory analysis of the influence of contextual factors on trial outcomes.
1/11/19 → 30/04/24
Exploring the lived experience in care homes of infection risk and transmission during the COVID-19 pandemic: a mixed-methods study to inform what we can learn for future infectious disease outbreaks (Understanding Care Home Infection Experiences - UCAIRE)
1/06/21 → 30/11/22
Brainard, J., Bunn, D., Watts, L., Killett, A., O'Brien, S. J., Lake, I. R., Mumford, S. & Lane, K., Jul 2023, In: American Journal of Infection Control. 51, 7, p. 792-799 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)3 Downloads (Pure)
Inclusion of adults with conditions that have the potential to affect capacity and/or communication in research: triangulation from a mixed methods study of current practice and values across multiple stakeholdersKillett, A., Langdon, P. E., Ryan, H., Shiggins, C., Heywood, R., Jimoh, O. F., Redley, M. & Bunning, K., 28 Apr 2023, In: BMJ Open. 13, 4, e068366.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)
Most common refusals of personal care in advanced dementia: Psychometric properties of the Refusal of Care Informant Scale (RoCIS)Backhouse, T., Khondoker, M., Killett, A. & Mioshi, E., Oct 2023, In: The Gerontologist. 63, 8, p. 1330–1340 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Kelly, S., Cowan, A., Akdur, G., Irvine, L., Peryer, G., Welsh, S., Rand, S., Lang, I. A., Towers, A-M., Spilsbury, K., Killett, A., Gordon, A. L., Hanratty, B., Jones, L., Meyer, J., Goodman, C. & Burton, J. K., 16 May 2023, In: Age and Ageing. 52, 5, afad069.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)
Piloting of a minimum data set for older people living in care homes in England: protocol for a longitudinal, mixed-methods studyTowers, A-M., Gordon, A., Wolters, A. T., Allan, S., Rand, S., Webster, L. A., Crellin, E., Brine, R. J., De Corte, K., Akdur, G., Irvine, L., Burton, J., Hanratty, B., Killett, A., Meyer, J., Jones, L. & Goodman, C., 27 Feb 2023, In: BMJ Open. 13, 2, e071686.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)2 Downloads (Pure)