Projects per year
In 2002, Barbara Jennings joined the inaugural team that designed the Norwich Medical School undergraduate curriculum. She is the academic lead for the MBBS genetics theme and contributes to curriculum development in genetics and genomics at UEA and in national networks. Barbara also leads the school’s faculty-development-programme. In 2016, Barbara became a senior fellow of Advance HE (HEA). Barbara’s career has spanned academic research posts, a clinical role in molecular diagnostics for the NHS, and international collaborations in genetics research, medical education, and curriculum design. A list of Barbara’s publications can be found on the ORCID database.
Barbara is an associate editor for AMEE’s online journal MedEdPublish and in 2020, she was lead author for a genetics textbook published by Oxford University Press called Genetics in Medicine.
Barbara contributes to national and international projects about technology-enhanced learning; genetic epidemiology; reflective peer-observation in faculty development; and open-access publishing and education.
Administrative Roles for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught Programmes:
- From 2017 MClinEd Module Lead (MED7020F Leading Contemporary Clinical Education)
- From 2016 Academic Lead for MED faculty-development programme
- From 2002 Genetics Theme Lead for MBBS programmes
Undergraduate teaching roles include problem-based-learning (PBL) facilitation; the delivery of seminars and lectures; and supervising student selected studies. I also deliver online webinars or asynchronous online workshops for undergraduate and postgraduate modules.
I am an experienced supervisor and examiner for postgraduate researchers who complete PhD and MD degrees or Masters-level dissertations. Topics supervised include: the use of genomic technology including the diagnostic potential of circulating tumour DNA; the genetics of cholesteatoma; genetic epidemiology of folate metabolism; and the principles of genomics education and medical education.
Roles and Scholarly Activities
- Associate Editor (from 2019) for MedEdPublish https://www.mededpublish.org/Editorial-Board for AMEE International Society for Medical Education.
- Member of National Genomics Clinical Leads Group for Education (from 2018) for Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AoMRC).
Conference Presentations and Invited Talks in 2021:
- Guest Lectures. Moving Lectures Online (with the help of Multimedia Lessons & Digital Champions) at Newcastle Medical School (4th February 2021) & Nicosia Medical School Faculty Development Session (15th July) Norwich Medical School team at UEA has been converting F-2-F lectures with short asynchronous multimedia lessons since 2019. We have called the initiative MEDX Online, and the pandemic has accelerated its progress over the last year. In these guest lectures, Barbara explained and discussed the drivers, practicalities, and hopes for the MEDX Online project at UEA (and beyond); alongside the bottlenecks, and wicked-problems encountered.
- Mini presentation for Scholarly Publishing Society conference (Taylor & Francis) in April 2021 as Associate Editor for MedEdPublish Title: #MEPOpenAccess: https://vimeo.com/536312964 Whiteboard animation exploring open access publishing and the benefits to associations and their membership, particularly early career researchers.
- Member of Panel for Royal Society of Biology event for early career researchers: Using writing skills to build your biosciences career 25th May 2021. Event to discuss primer textbooks published by OUP including:
- AMEE Conference Presentations
- Panel member for MedEdPublish Reviewers Workshop 29th / 30th August 2021.
- Co-author for paper presented by Dr Cesar Orsini: The development of a reporting form for peer observation of online learning courses: An e-Delphi consensus study.
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
3/10/16 → 2/10/18
Tailoring the Treatment Regime for the Patient Affected by Colorectal Cancer (A Pharmacogenetic Study) [Study of the influence of genes on the benefits and side effects of anti-folate chemotherapy in bowel cancer]
1/01/08 → 31/03/12
Collins, R., Hong Ta, N., Jennings, B. A., Prinsley, P., Philpott, C. M., Steel, N. & Clark, A., Jul 2020, In : Clinical Otolaryngology. 45, 4, p. 500-505 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)17 Downloads (Pure)
Jennings, B., Taieb, J., Deenen, M., Marinaki, A., Gross, E., van Kuilenburg, A., Thomas-Jean, F., Loriot, M-A., Pignon, J-P. & Le Teuff, G., 16 Jul 2020, (Accepted/In press).
Research output: Contribution to conference › Abstract
Jennings, B., Gibbs, T., Hunt, J. & Mckay, K., 7 Jul 2020, In : MedEdPublish. 9, 1
Research output: Contribution to journal › Comment/debateOpen AccessFile9 Downloads (Pure)