Projects per year
Beatriz de la Iglesia is a data mining researcher with experience of health care data analysis. She has worked, among other themes, on the analysis of primary care datasets for cardiovascular disease risk evaluation; on text mining of gastroenterology procedural reports to identify key success indicators and on linking data in the secondary care setting in order to create patient-centric databases suitable for clinical research. She has experience of developing new data mining algorithms using optimisation techniques and has over 60 peer reviewed publications.
Beatriz obtained her first degree, a first class BSc Honours in Applied Computing, at UEA in 1994. She obtained her PhD in Computing Science in September 2001. The subject of her research was data mining and in particular the extraction of partial classification rules or nuggets using meta-heuristic algorithms.
- May 95 to January 97: worked in Norwich Union (now Aviva) full-time as a Teaching Company Associate for a Teaching Company Scheme between Norwich Union and UEA.
- January 97 to January 2001: tutor post for UEA lecturing on various courses, part-time.
- October 1999 to December 2001: half-time post as a senior research assistant in a bio-informatics project funded by a BBSRC grant.
- January 2001 to July 2012: Lecturer in Computing Science, UEA.
- July 2012 to now: Senior Lecturer in Computing Science, UEA.
- Member of the programme committee for numerous conferences including the UK KDD Symposium, the Parallel Problem Solving from Nature (PPSN), Multi-criteria decision making (MCDM) , International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Information Retrieval (KDIR/IC3K), the Pacific Asian KDD conference, the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, the IEEE MultiCriteria Decision Making Conference, the International Data Mining conferences and the International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL).
- Reviewer for a number of journals including: The British Medical Journal, the Journal of SuperComputing, Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, the Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms, Data and Knowledge engineering and others.
- Invited speaker: A presentation on Primary Care Data Analysis to the University of Birmingham, Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, in November 2010
- Invited speaker: "Performance of the ASSIGN cardiovascular disease risk score on a UK cohort of patients from general practice". A talk to the Primary care database research at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in March 2011.
- Invited speaker: The business benefits of data and text mining. SAS Users Meetings 2007 and 2010.
- Keynote speech: B. de la Iglesia. Application of Multi-objective Metaheuristic Algorithms in Data Mining, Proceedings of the Third UK Knowledge and Data Mining Symposium (Invited Talk), Expert Update, Autumn 2007, Vol.9, No.3, ISSN: 1465-4091, 43-48, 2007.
- Keynote speech: Beatriz de la Iglesia and Alan Reynolds, The use of metaheuristic algorithms for data mining, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies, Keynote Address, Krachi, Pakistan, IEEE, August, 2005.
- Invited visiting lecturer: University of Bologna, Italy, every year since 2010.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Beatriz de la Iglesia is part of the Machine Learning and Statistics Laboratory.
Beatriz's research interests are the area of data mining algorithm development and application of data mining techniques ranging from financial data to biological and medical data. They also include some health informatic themes.
In terms of algorithm development, she is interested in the adaptation of meta-heuristic and, in particular, multi-objective algorithms for classification and clustering tasks. This includes the development of novel algorithms such as GRASP in a multi-objective context; the application of such algorithms to specific data mining problems; the efficient representation and evaluation of data mining solutions in the multi-objective context and the improvements to solution quality by maintaining diversity in the Pareto front.
In terms of application, Beatriz is interested in mining heterogeneous medical data and all of the challenges that such task represent. For example, mining in the context of complex objects including text, structured data and images; application of data mining techniques to large primary care datasets with large proportions of missing data; linking data in the secondary care setting in order to create patient-centric databases; knowledge representations that are acceptable in the clinical setting, etc.
Beatriz has also got consultancy experience mining financial data, particularly in the context of general insurance and life insurance, but also credit card data, looking for business exploitable patterns.
- Director of PgT Programmes
- Chair of Examiners (UG)
- Director of the Data Science MSc
- Admissions Deputy Director PGT
- Coursework Co-ordinator (PgT Students)
- Induction Programme Director
- Deputy Director of Learning and Teaching
Research Group Membership
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Devlopment Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Doctor of Philosophy, University of East Anglia
Award Date: 1 Jan 2001
Bachelor of Science, UEA
Award Date: 1 Jan 1994
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Lettice, F., Aung, M. H., Bagnall, T., Buckley, O., Cawley, G., Day, A., De La Iglesia, B., Finlayson, G., Harvey, R., Huber, K., Kulinskaya, E., Laycock, S., Lines, J., Mackiewicz, M., Milner, B., Moulton, V., Parr, G., Ren, E. & Wang, W.
10/01/20 → 8/01/22
Hancock, R., Sena, V., Coakley, J., Cornford, J., De La Iglesia, B., Fasli, M., Fearne, A., Forder, J., Harwood, A., Hviid, M., Jones, A., Kulinskaya, E., Laurie, H., Lovett, A., Schofield, G., Appleton, K., Morciano, M. & Sunnenberg, G.
31/01/14 → 31/10/20
Alahamade, W., Lake, I., Reeves, C. & De La Iglesia, B., 3 Nov 2021, In: Geoscientific Instrumentation, Methods and Data Systems. 10, p. 265–285 21 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Using supermarket loyalty card data to measure the differential impact of the UK soft drink sugar tax on buyer behaviourFearne, A., Borzino, N., De La Iglesia, B., Moffatt, P. & Robbins, M., 10 Nov 2021, (E-pub ahead of print) In: Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Edo-Osagie, O., Iglesia, B. D. L., Lake, I. & Edeghere, O., 4 Nov 2020, Hybrid Artificial Intelligent Systems. de la Cal, E. A., Villar Flecha, J. R., Quintián, H. & Corchado, E. (eds.). Cham: Springer International Publishing AG, p. 160-171 12 p. (Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics); vol. 12344 LNAI).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contributionOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)
Edo-Osagie, O., De La Iglesia, B., Lake, I. & Edeghere, O., Jul 2020, In: Computers in Biology and Medicine. 122, 103770.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile18 Citations (Scopus)2 Downloads (Pure)