Projects per year
I lead a team which studies the role of marine bacteria, phytoplankton and zooplankton in the global cycling of carbon and oxygen, and how this varies in space and time and with changing environmental conditions such as increasing nutrient supply, temperature and carbon dioxide and decreasing dissolved oxygen. This involves laboratory and field observations, remote sensing, numerical models and the use of water mass tracers (sulphur hexafluoride), gliders and time series datasets.
I developed an analytical system to continually measure seawater dissolved inorganic carbon and used this to determine the spatial variability in the North Atlantic CO2 sink, the impact of coccolithophore blooms on oceanic carbon uptake and the imbalanced uptake of carbon and nitrogen by phytoplankton.
Using scientific diving techniques I investigated carbon flux in the ice-ocean-plankton systems of the Antarctic and in high CO2 hydrothermal regions in the Aegean Sea.
I undertook laboratory and mesocosm studies to investigate the cycling of carbon through the marine microbial foodweb under varying nutrient ratio and temperature conditions.
I led a project to investigate the latitudinal variability in the balance between phytoplankton uptake of CO2 and bacterial production of CO2 to develop empirical and remote sensing models to derive global plankton production.
Recent projects have included the determination of oxygen photolysis as a potential bias in the determination of plankton production, the impact of coastal upwelling on carbonate chemistry, the relationship between apparent oxygen utilisation and dissolved organic carbon, and determination of the proportion of plankton respiration attributable to bacterioplankton.
I am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology and past President of the Challenger Society for Marine Science.
I organise a 2 day weekend Introduction to Oceanography course, open to anyone with an interest in the marine environment. The last course was held in March 2019.
My personal twitter account is @CarolRobinson8
- 2018 - present: Professor of Marine Sciences, University of East Anglia
- 2007 - 2018: Reader in Marine Biogeochemistry, University of East Anglia
- 2000 - 2007: Senior Scientist (Head of Science, Biogeochemistry), Plymouth Marine Laboratory
- 1996 - 2001: NERC Advanced Research Fellow, Plymouth Marine Laboratory
- 1988 - 1996: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Wales; Bangor
- 1987 - 1988: Postdoctoral Research Assistant, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne
- 1987 Ph.D. Civil Engineering (Public Health) University of Newcastle Upon Tyne
- 1982 B.Sc. Zoology (Marine) University of Newcastle Upon Tyne
Studentship projects available in my group include :
Will climate change cause the ocean to run out of breath ?
However,feel free to email me at any time to discuss projects outside these areas and alternative sources of funding.
- 2021 - present Co-Chair ICES working group on Ocean Negative Carbon Emissions
- 2021 - present Co-Chair SCOR working group on Mesopelagic Respiration
- 2021 - present Chair Panel B NERC Peer Review College
- 2019 - present Chair of the NERC Marine Facilities Advisory Board
- 2016 - present Chair of the Scientific Steering Committee of the SCOR/Future Earth programme ‘Integrated Marine Biosphere Research’ (IMBeR)
- 2016 - 2018 Evaluator for EU H2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions Individual Fellowships
- 2015 Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2015 - present Editor for Frontiers in Marine Science - Marine Biogeochemistry
- 2012 - 2016 Vice Chair of the EU FP7 People-ITN Marie Sklodowska-Curie Review Panel
- 2012 - 2015 Chair of the Steering Committee for the NERC Facility for Scientific Diving
- 2011 - present Editor for Biogeosciences, European Geoscience Union
- 2006 - 2016 Editor for Ocean Sciences, European Geoscience Union
- 2011 - present Member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the British Indian Ocean Territories, Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- 2011 - 2013 Member of the External Advisory Board for the FP7 Network of Excellence EuroMarine
- 2011 - 2018 Associate Editor ASLO e-lectures
- 2010 - 2013 Vice Chair of the Scientific Steering Committee of the IGBP/SCOR programme ‘Integrated Marine Biogeochemistry and Ecosystem Research’ (IMBeR)
- 2010 - 2014 Deputy Chair of the European Research Council Fellowship Review Panel
- 2010 Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology FSB (Chartered Biologist CBiol)
- 2009 - 2013 UK IGBP National Committee
- 2008 - 2010 President of the Challenger Society for Marine Science
- 2006 - 2010 Member of the scientific steering committee of the SCOR sponsored programme GEOTRACES
Key Research Interests and Expertise
I led the NERC large grant - the Atlantic Meridional Transect programme - which aimed to quantify the nature & causes of ecological & biogeochemical variability in the planktonic ecosystems of the Atlantic Ocean and a NERC SOLAS project to investigate the impact of upwelled water along the Mauritanian coast on open ocean biogeochemistry and air-sea exchange of climatically important gases. I was also a co-investigator on a NERC project to investigate spatial variability in marine productivity using underwater gliders. I have participated in ca. 30 open ocean research cruises, coastal mesocosm experiments and coastal time series studies, including a 3 month stay at the Australian Antarctic base DAVIS.
I’m currently funded (by NERC and The Leverhulme Trust) to study the role of plankton respiration in carbon sequestration and the production of carbon dioxide and how this might change in a changing environment. Current projects link organic and inorganic chemistry, photochemistry, microbial ecology, plankton physiology, remote sensing, numerical models, and the use of tracers, gliders and time series datasets. My PhD students are studying the relationship between phytoplankton community structure and cycling of carbon dioxide in the North Atlantic and zooplankton mediated carbon flux in the Southern Ocean.
I maintain a publicly available global database of plankton community and bacterial respiration.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
I have held several research and teaching leadership and management positions, including Senior Advisor, Disability Awareness Officer, On- and in-water safety officer and Co- Sector Head of the Atmospheres and Oceans sector, and have been a member of Teaching Executive, the Undergraduate Affairs Committee, the Promotions Committee, the Undergraduate Examinations Board, the Equipment Committee and the Postgraduate Research Committee.
I am currently the Chair of the Undergraduate Examinations Board.
Research Group Membership
Current Postdoctoral Researchers
Dr Isabel Seguro Requejo
Dr Kevin Vikstrom
Dr Natalia Osma Prado
Previous Postdoctoral Researchers
Dr Enma Elena Garcia-Martin
Dr Cecilia Liszka
Dr Niki Gist
Dr Vassilis Kitidis
Dr Pablo Serret (Marie Curie Fellow)
Current Postgraduate Students
Completed Postgraduate Students
Dr Victoria Fowler
Dr Peter Ward
Dr Cecilia Liszka
Dr Alida Rosales Villa
Ms Cansu Bayindirli (MPhil)
Dr Clare Ostle
Dr Katy Owen
Dr Chris Brown
Dr Johanna Gloel
Dr Raffaella Nobili
Dr Rhiannon Mather (University of Liverpool)
Dr Rachel U Shelley (University of Plymouth)
Ms Jenna Robinson (MPhil University of Newcastle upon Tyne)
I teach on the first year environmental sciences fieldcourse and a module on Sustainability, Society and Biodiversity, on second year modules in Aquatic Biogeochemistry and the Marine Sciences Fieldcourse, third year modules in Biological Oceanography and the Carbon Cycle and Climate Change and Masters modules in Ocean Observing Systems and the Marine Sciences Fieldcourse.
I'm the module organiser for Biological Oceanography and the Marine Sciences Fieldcourse.
I have been the external examiner for the BSc in Oceanography at the University of Liverpool (2010-2012) and the MSc in Oceanography at the University of Southampton (2009-2012), and a PhD examiner at the Universities of Southampton, Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Dundee, Swansea and Marseilles.
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/05/17 → 21/05/22
14/01/19 → 13/06/19
& 14 others, , 14 Apr 2021, In : Science Advances. 7, 16, 10 p., eabc7318.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Diel vertical migration of a Southern Ocean euphausiid, Euphausia triacantha, and its metabolic response to consequent short-term temperature changesLiszka, C. M., Robinson, C., Manno, C., Stowasser, G. & Tarling, G. A., 18 Feb 2021, In : Marine Ecology Progress Series. 660, p. 37-52 16 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Integrated ocean carbon research: a summary of ocean carbon research, and vision of coordinated ocean carbon research and observations for the next decadeArico, S., Arrieta, J. M., Bakker, D. C. E., Boyd, P. W., Da Cunha, L. C., Chai, F., Dai, M., Gruber, N., Isensee, K., Ishii, M., Jiao, N., Lauvset, S. K., McKinley, G. A., Monteiro, P., Robinson, C., Sabine, C., Sanders, R., Schoo, K. L., Schuster, U., Shutler, J. D. & 20 others, , 2021, UNESCO. 46 p.
Research output: Book/Report › Commissioned reportOpen AccessFile10 Downloads (Pure)
Robinson, C., 15 Jul 2020, In : Frontiers in Marine Science. 7, 545.
Research output: Contribution to journal › EditorialOpen AccessFile7 Downloads (Pure)
Damerell, G., Fielding, S., Firing, Y. L., Frajka-Williams, E., Hartman, S., Henley, S. F., Heywood, K., Holliday, N. P., Huvenne, V. A. I., Mills, R. A., Rabe, B., Robinson, C., Sanchez-Franks, A., Smythe-Wrigh, D., Taylor, M. L. & Yelland, M., 2020, In : Ocean Challenge. 24, 2, p. 19-30
Research output: Contribution to journal › Comment/debateOpen AccessFile9 Downloads (Pure)