Projects per year
Areas of Expertise
Key Research Interests
- Health and social care of older people
- Medicine taking and adherence research in old age
- Health Literacy and older people
- Sociology of diagnosis
- Qualitative research methods
- Qualitative systematic review
- Healthcare communication
As a social gerontologist in a medical school she is ideally placed to continue her work to improve the health and wellbeing of older people and to promote improvements to the quality of life and wellbeing of older people by contributing to knowledge and advances in healthy ageing. She is currently working with older people in the areas of adherence to osteoporosis medicine, health literacy and healthcare communication. She is also researching empathy in the medical consultation. All her work involves users and/or patient and public involvement. She is a member of the Local Support Network for Age & Ageing.
Charlotte is primarily a qualitative researcher although she is particularly keen that mixed methods are used where ever feasible. Charlotte’s expertise includes using discourse analysis, thematic analysis and framework analysis. More recently she has developed her use of qualitative systematic reviews and is writing a book chapter on this topic.
Sociology of diagnosis
Inequalities in care of older people
Health and social care of older people
Primary care and old age
Communication in health care
Physical activity, exercise and ageing
Postgraduate Research Student Supervision
Ageing and the sociology of diagnosis
Ageing and health literacy
Ageing and preventive health care
Communicaiton, health and older people
As Deputy Team Lead for Consultation Skills Charlotte’s administrative responsibilities include representing Consultation Skills at Assessment Group, Clinical Methods Group, and Curriculum Development & Design. Charlotte has also sat on Senate.
- Senior Lecturer Consultation Skills, Norwich Medical School, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences. University of East Anglia. May 2006 to July 2013
- Lecturer Consultation Skills, Norwich Medical School, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences. University of East Anglia. May 2006 to August 2013
- Senior Research Associate 2005 –2006
- Health & Social Care Planning Officer for Older People 2000 – 2001
- Freelance Researcher in Gerontology, Norfolk Social Services 2000
- Research Assistant, Department of Social & Public Policy and Social Work, University of Kent 1997 – 1998
- Consultancy Work 1993 – 1997
- Research Officer, Personal Social Services Research Unit, University of Kent 1990 – 1993
- Home Care Manager, Kent Social Services 1989 – 1990
- Residential Social Work Assistant, London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham 1988 – 1989
- Research Co-ordinator, Geriatric Department, St. George’s Hospital Medical School London 1986 - 1988
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 16 Finished
1/05/19 → 14/08/21
Goal-setting in care planning for people with multimorbidity: a randomised controlled trial - SNCCG RCF
1/11/17 → 30/11/19
The lived experience of implementing infection control measures in care homes during two waves of the COVID-19 pandemic. A mixed-methods studyBunn, D., Brainard, J., Lane, K., Salter, C. & Lake, I., 3 Dec 2021, In: Journal of Long-Term Care. p. 386-400 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Citations (Scopus)17 Downloads (Pure)
Shiner, A., Player, E., Salter, C. & Steel, N., 1 Mar 2020, In: InnovAiT. 13, 3, p. 179-185 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile10 Downloads (Pure)
de Wit, L., Karnaki, P., Dalma, A., Csizmadia, P., Salter, C., de Winter, A. & Meijering, L., 2 Apr 2020, In: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 17, 7, 2411.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)7 Downloads (Pure)
Physical activity and retirement: Original analysis of responses to the English Adult Active Lives SurveyBrainard, J., Cooke, R., Lane, K. & Salter, C., 28 Jul 2020, In: International Journal of Public Health. 65, 6, p. 871–880 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile5 Citations (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Charlotte Salter (Member)2006 → …
Activity: Membership › Network, Working Group or Professional Association