Projects per year
- Vice Chancellor
- Deputy Vice Chancellor
- From September 2014 Vice-Chancellor, University of East Anglia
- From August 2012 Deputy Vice Chancellor, University of East Anglia
- From August 2011 Pro-Vice Chancellor, Enterprise & Engagement, University of East Anglia
- Jan 2008-July 2011 Executive Dean, Faculty of Science, University of East Anglia
- Aug 2004-Dec 2007 Associate Dean, Faculty of Science, University of East Anglia
- June 2001-present Professor of Microbial Biochemistry, School of Biological Sciences,
- University of East Anglia
- Oct 1998-June 2001 Reader, School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia
- June 1991-Oct 1998 Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia
- Oct 1988-May 1991 Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford
Key Research Interests
- Respiratory flexibility in Bacteria
- Electron transfer at microbe-mineral interfaces
- New approaches to studies of the nitrogen cycle in wastewater treatment plants
- Biochemistry, genetics, and molecular ecology of bacterial denitrification
- The regulation of bacterial nitrous oxide production
- Novel methods for second generation bioalcohol production
- Nitric oxide metabolism in pathogens and leguminous root nodules
- Bacterial semi-conductor mediated photocatalysis
- Enzyme based biosensors for nitrogen oxides and nitrogen oxyanions
- Microbial electrocatalysis
Areas of Expertise
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Epigenetic control of nitrous oxide emission by denitrifying bacteria
Gates, A., Richardson, D. & Waller, Z.
Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
1/11/19 → 30/11/23
Revealing the microbial process of iron-driven anaerobic ammonium oxidation
Bond, P., Richardson, D. & Hu, S.
1/04/18 → 31/03/21
Phenotypic diversification in denitrification: mechanisms, prevalence and implications.
1/02/18 → 30/09/21
Bacterial nitric oxide metabolism: recent insights in RhizobiaSalas, A., Cabrera, J. J., Jiménez-Leiva, A., Mesa, S., Bedmar, E. J., Richardson, D. J., Gates, A. J. & Delgado, M. J., 2021, Advances in Microbial Physiology. Poole, R. K. & Kelly, D. J. (eds.). Elsevier, Vol. 78. p. 259-315 57 p. (Advances in Microbial Physiology).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter (peer-reviewed) › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Citations (Scopus)9 Downloads (Pure)
Bioenergetics theory and components: Periplasmic electron-transport systems in bacteriaRichardson, D. J., Sawers, G. & Van Spanning, R. J. M., 2 Aug 2021, Encyclopedia of Biological Chemistry: Third Edition. Elsevier, Vol. 2. p. 31-37 7 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Entry for encyclopedia/dictionary
Effect of pH on the denitrification proteome of the soil bacterium Paracoccus denitrificans PD1222Olaya-Abril, A., Hidalgo-Carrillo, J., Luque-Almagro, V. M., Fuentes-Almagro, C., Urbano, F. J., Moreno-Vivián, C., Richardson, D. J. & Roldán, M. D., 26 Aug 2021, In: Scientific Reports. 11, 1, 17276 .
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile11 Citations (Scopus)9 Downloads (Pure)
Microbial small RNAs – The missing link in the nitrogen cycle?Moeller, S., Payá, G., Bonete, M. J., Gates, A. J., Richardson, D., Esclapez, J. M. & Rowley, G., 17 May 2021, In: Frontiers in Environmental Science. 9, 660055.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)13 Downloads (Pure)
Exploring the molecular machinery of denitrification in Haloferax mediterranei through proteomicsTorregrosa-Crespo, J., Pire, C., Richardson, D. J. & Martínez-espinosa, R. M., 8 Dec 2020, In: Frontiers in Microbiology. 11, 605859.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Citations (Scopus)9 Downloads (Pure)
- 1 External research organisation
Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (External organisation)
David Richardson (Council Member)2012 → 2016
Activity: Membership › External research organisation