Projects per year
After an MSc in Soil Science with a focus on biogeochemical cycles (1991), I moved into oceanography for PhD research on CO2 air-sea exchange in the Atlantic and Southern Oceans. The oceans cover two-thirds of our Blue Planet and major findings are still being made. The multidisciplinary, seagoing fieldwork is a fun aspect of oceanography. Central in my research are processes affecting the air-sea transfer of natural long-lived greenhouse gases (carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide) and the marine carbon cycle in a changing climate, notably the role of marine biota, ocean circulation, stratification, iron supply, sea ice and ocean acidification.
Data quality and access to marine biogeochemical data are important, especially for studies of longterm variation and change. I contribute to these aims as chair of the Surface Ocean CO2 Atlas (SOCAT), a high-profile activity by the international marine carbon research community. Version 2021 of SOCAT is available. Automation of SOCAT data upload now enables annual, public releases of SOCAT. SOCAT has made a Voluntary Commitment to the 2017 UN Conference for Annual, public releases of the Surface Ocean CO2 Atlas (#OceanAction20464) and contributes to UN Sustainable Development Goal 14.3.1 (Ocean Acidification). Recent SOCAT-based estimates indicate that the ocean carbon sink is more variable on year-to-year and decadal time scales than ocean biogeochemical models indicate.
Currently I am investigating carbon cycling in UK shelf seas and the Southern and Arctic Oceans. I am part of the CUSTARD, PICCOLO, MOSAiC and COMFORT research projects. Past research projects include CarboChange, and Ocean Acidification Research. I have participated in 21 multidisciplinary, mostly seagoing research projects, am an author of 91 peer-reviewed articles and 5 book chapters and supervise 1 researcher and 5 PhD students.
- 2018 to date: University of East Anglia, Reader (Associate Professor)
- 2016-2018: University of East Anglia, Senior Lecturer
- 2006-2016: University of East Anglia, Research Officer
- 1998-2005: University of East Anglia, Senior Research Associate
- 1998: PhD awarded by the University of Groningen
- 1996-1998: Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France, Research Associate
- 1991-1996: Netherlands Institute for Sea Research, PhD research
- 1985-1991: Wageningen Agricultural University, The Netherlands, MSc Soil Science
- 2015: Recognition for my contribution to the Surface Ocean CO2 Atlas (SOCAT) by the Surface Ocean Lower Atmosphere Study (SOLAS).
Email me (d.bakker at uea.ac.uk) to discuss PhD projects on the ocean carbon cycle and sources of funding.
Click here for other PhD opportunities in the School of Environmental Sciences.
- 2007- Chair Surface Ocean CO2 Atlas (SOCAT);
- 2021- Member WCRP SSG on Earth System Modelling and Observational Capabilities (ESMOC);
- 2016- Scientific Advisor of the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, Norway;
- 2016- Member UK National Committee for Antarctic Research;
- 2020- Scientific Advisor of NOREMSO ERIC, Norway;
- 2020- Member Ship Underway User Group of the Marine Facilities Advisory Board, UK;
- 2021 Member NERC's Strategic Need Advisory Group for Environmental Data Services, UK.
- 2017-21 Member WCRP Data Advisory Council (WDAC);
- 2017 Contributor to the G7 Ocean Actions Plan;
- 2016 Co-Organiser Air-Sea Gas Flux Conference;
- 2016 Co-Organiser 2016 UK Antarctic Science Conference;
- 2015-17 (Deputy) Representative ICOS Marine MSA (Monitoring Station Assembly);
- 2014-15 National ICOS (Integrated Carbon Observation System) Representative;
- 2013-16 & 2007-09 Member GESAMP Task Team on Pollution of the Open Ocean;
- 2013 Participant Surface Ocean pCO2 Mapping Intercomparison (SOCOM);
- 2013 Member SCAR Ocean Acidification Action Group;
- 2007-13 Co-chair SCOR Working Group 131;
- 2005-17 Member SOLAS-IMBER Carbon Working Group on Surface Systems;
- 2012 Member Local Organising Committee Challenger Conference for Marine Science;
- 2011 Co-Organiser IOCCP Data to Flux Workshop;
- 2011 Co-Organiser SOLAS/IMBER/IOCCP Ocean Carbon Synthesis Conference;
- 2011 Member NERC International Opportunities Fund Moderating Panel;
- 2005-10 Member SSG International Ocean Carbon Coordination Project (IOCCP);
- 2009 Member Writing Team UK Ocean Acidification Research Programme
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Air-sea interactions of long-lived greenhouse gases (carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide). The marine carbon cycle and its feedbacks with other biogeochemical cycles and climate. Seasonal, year-to-year and decadal variation in the ocean carbon sink and the processes driving this variation. The role of seasonal sea-ice in air-sea transfer of carbon dioxide (CO2). The key role of iron in the Southern Ocean carbon cycle. The effects of a high CO2 world and ocean acidifcation on marine biota. Remote sensing. Maintaining time series. Safe data storage. Access to marine biogeochemical data.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- Director for Postgraduate Research, School of Environmental Sciences
- Joint Head, Sector for Atmosphere, Ocean and Climate Sciences, School of Environmental Sciences
- Joint Director, Centre for Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (COAS), University of East Anglia
- Adviser, School of Environmental Sciences
- Module Organiser, ENV-4014Y Quantitative Skills II
- First Aider at Work
Research Group Membership
Since 2018 I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I teach on:
ENV-4004Y Research and Field Skills (Chemistry & Slapton Field Course)
ENV-4014Y Quantitative Skills II (Module Organiser)
ENV-5020K Marine Sciences Field Course
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Our common future ocean in the earth system - quantifying coupled cycles of carbon, oxygen, and nutrients for determining and achieving safe operating spaces with respect to tipping points. COMFORT (Bergen leading)
HEINZE, C., Bakker, D., Humphreys, M., Sanders, R., Gruber, N., OLAVSDOTTIR, S. & Davila, M.
1/09/19 → 31/08/23
1/10/18 → 30/09/22
Carbon Uptake and Seasonal Traits of Antarctic Remineralisation Depth (CUSTARD - NOC Southampton lead)
1/04/18 → 31/03/22
Kutsch, W., Bakker, D., Branco, V., Papale, D., Chen, H., Cerasoli, S., Sanders, R., Noe, S., Michalopoulos, N., Buchmann, N., Olejnik, J., Rinne, J., Gielen, B., Herbst, M., Osborne, B., Levin, I., Mammarella, I., Johannessen, T., Davila, M., Nicolae, D., Haszpra, L., Burns, I. & Sprtova, M.
1/01/17 → 31/12/20
Cold-water corals in the Subpolar North Atlantic Ocean exposed to aragonite undersaturation if the 2 °C global warming target is not metGarcía-Ibáñez, M. I., Bates, N. R., Bakker, D. C. E., Fontela, M. & Velo, A., Jun 2021, In : Global and Planetary Change. 201, 103480.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile5 Downloads (Pure)
Integrated ocean carbon research: a summary of ocean carbon research, and vision of coordinated ocean carbon research and observations for the next decadeArico, S., Arrieta, J. M., Bakker, D. C. E., Boyd, P. W., Da Cunha, L. C., Chai, F., Dai, M., Gruber, N., Isensee, K., Ishii, M., Jiao, N., Lauvset, S. K., McKinley, G. A., Monteiro, P., Robinson, C., Sabine, C., Sanders, R., Schoo, K. L., Schuster, U., Shutler, J. D. & 20 others, , 2021, UNESCO. 46 p.
Research output: Book/Report › Commissioned reportOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Uncertainties in eddy covariance air–sea CO2 flux measurements and implications for gas transfer velocity parameterisationsDong, Y., Yang, M., Bakker, D. C. E., Kitidis, V. & Bell, T. G., 26 May 2021, In : Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 21, 10, p. 8089-8110 22 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)3 Downloads (Pure)
Bakker, D., Leon, P., Wakelin, S., Walsham, P. & Williamson, P., 15 Jan 2020, Marine Climate Change Impacts Partnership.
Research output: Book/Report › Commissioned reportOpen AccessFile23 Downloads (Pure)
Jickells, T., Diesing, M., Aldridge, J., Andrews, J., Artioli, Y., Bakker, D. C. E., Burrows, M. T., Carr, N., Cripps, G., Felgate, S. L., Fernand, L., Greenwood, N., Hartman, S., Kröger, S., Lessin, G., Mahaffey, C., Mayor, D. J. & 11 others, , 18 Mar 2020, In : Frontiers in Marine Science. 7, 23 p., 143.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile19 Citations (Scopus)18 Downloads (Pure)