Projects per year
- Pro-Vice Chancellor for Medicine and Health Sciences (2017-present)
- Executive Dean, Faculty of Medeicine and Health Sciences (2016-2017)
- BIO Research Staff Coordinator (2014-15)
- Member, Senate Student Disciplinary Committee (2013-16)
- Athena SWAN Co-Chair for BIO (2014-16)
- Head of School of Biological Sciences(2008-13)
- Chair of BIO Executive (2008-13)
- Chair of Finance Committee (2008-13)
- Chair of UEA Biological Hazards and Genetic Manipulation Committee (2008-13)
Prof Dylan Edwards is Pro-Vice Chancellor for the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at UEA, with oversight of the university's role in the Norwich Research Park (NRP). He also has responsibility for UEA's Continuing Professional Development activities.
From 1998-2016 he was Chair of Cancer Studies in the School of Biological Sciences (BIO), before moving to the Norwich Medical School to take over the role of Executrive Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences. From 2008-13 he was Head of BIO, and from 2015-16 was Interim Director of The Genome Analysis Centre on the NRP, now known as the Earlham Institute.
He did his PhD at UCL working with Dr. Irving Johnston on yeast cell cycle mutants and postdoctoral research on growth factor regulation of gene expression in mammalian cells at the University of Western Ontario with Dr. David Denhardt (of Denhardt’s solution). This led on to work with Dr. John Heath at Oxford University on the regulation of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and their tissue inhibitors (TIMPs), which has been a theme of his subsequent work as a principal investigator. He was an Assistant and Associate Professor at the University of Calgary, Canada from 1989-98, before returning to the UK to become Big C Chair of Cancer Studies.
Dylan Edwards is a molecular biologist principally interested in the functions of the human “degradome” – the repertoire of proteases and their inhibitors that cells and tissues use during tissue remodelling processes in development, tissue repair and disease states. A major focus of the work of the laboratory is on cancer, where we are studying proteases to identify novel diagnostic markers and therapeutic targets, and to identify the cellular and molecular mechanisms of extracellular proteases. From 2004-9 he was Coordinator of the European Union Framework Programme 6 “Cancerdegradome” Project, which involved 41 Partner laboratories in 13 countries, and from 2011-15 was a partner in the FP7 “SaveMe” project on pancreatic cancer imaging and therapy using nanoparticles.
- Pro-Vice Chancellor, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences 2017-present
- Executive Dean, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences 2016-17
- Interim Director, The Genome Analysis Centre (TGAC), Norwich Research Park 2015-16
- Head of School of Biological Sciences, UEA (2008-2013)
- Professor, Chair of Cancer Studies, School of Biological Sciences 1998-2016 and Norwich Medical School 2016-present
- Associate Professor, Departments of Medical Biochemistry, and Pharmacology & Therapeutics, University of Calgary, Canada 1994-1998.
- Assistant Professor, Departments of Pharmacology & Therapeutics, and Medical Biochemistry, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. 1989-1994
- Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, Oxford University, Oxford 1986-1989.
- Research Associate, Cancer Research Laboratory, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada. 1980-1985
- PhD Department of Biochemistry, University College, London. 1980
- M.A. (Cantab) 1979
- BA Natural Sciences Jesus College, Cambridge University, 1975
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Main Research Interests include:
- Extracellular matrix adhesion, signalling and proteolytic remodelling in angiogenesis
- Investigation of the roles of ADAM proteases in cell signalling
- Studies of degradome genes in multiple sclerosis.
- Molecular mechanisms of transcriptional and post-transcriptional control of degradome gene expression
- The hepatocyte growth factor signalling pathway in angiogenesis and wound healing
- Novel cancer therapies or chemopreventive agents, focussing on dietary phytonutrients
- MicroRNAs in cancer
- Editorial Board Member - International Journal of Cancer
- 1A13 (Fundamentals of Molecular Biology and Genetics)
- 1A4Y (Skills for Biologists)
- 1A5Y (Introduction to Biomedicine)
- 3C27 (Cancer Biology)
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Conformation-specific inhibitory anti-MMP-7 monoclonal antibody sensitizes pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cells to chemotherapeutic cell killMohan, V., Gaffney, J. P., Solomonov, I., Levin, M., Klepfish, M., Akbareian, S., Grünwald, B., Dym, O., Eisenstein, M., Yu, K. H., Kelsen, D. P., Krüger, A., Edwards, D. R. & Sagi, I., 2 Apr 2021, In : Cancers. 13, 7, 1679.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Norwich COVID-19 testing initiative pilot: evaluating the feasibility of asymptomatic testing on a university campusGillam, T. B., Cole, J., Gharbi, K., Angiolini, E., Barker, T., Bickerton, P., Brabbs, T., Chin, J., Coen, E., Cossey, S., Davey, R., Davidson, R., Durrant, A., Edwards, D., Hall, N., Henderson, S., Hitchcock, M., Irish, N., Lipscombe, J., Jones, G. & 5 others, , Mar 2021, In : Journal of Public Health. 43, 1, p. 82-88 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile4 Citations (Scopus)8 Downloads (Pure)
Norwich COVID-19 testing initiative pilot: evaluating the feasibility of asymptomatic testing on a university campusBerger Gillam, T., Cole, J., Gharbi, K., Angiolini, E., Barker, T., Bickerton, P., Brabbs, T., Chin, J., Coen, E., Cossey, S., Davey, R. P., Davidson, R., Durrant, A., Edwards, D., Hall, N., Henderson, S., Hitchcock, M., Irish, N., Lipscombe, J., Jones, G. & 5 others, , Mar 2021, In : Journal of Public Health. 43, 1, p. 82-88 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile4 Citations (Scopus)12 Downloads (Pure)
Berger Gillam, T., Chin, J., Culley, K., Davidson, R., Edwards, D., Gharbi, K., Goodwin, N., Hall, N., Hitchcock, M., Jupp, O., Lipscombe, J., Parr, G., Shearer, N., Smith, R. & Steel, N., 12 Apr 2021, In : Journal of Public Health.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen Access
Johnson, R., Alghamdi, A., Robinson, S. & Edwards, D., 8 Apr 2020, In : Journal of Cell Science. 133, 7, jcs235762.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile10 Citations (Scopus)9 Downloads (Pure)