Projects per year
- Responsible for the Research Evidence Group
I have background on public health medicine, health statistics, and health services research; have been conducting systematic reviews and modelling for health technology assessment, and research synthesis related methods. My research interest also includes primary research on health care interventions and health services research.
Key research interests
- Evidence-based medicine research; systematic reviews, meta-analysis and modelling for evaluating a wide range of health care interventions.
- Methodological research concerning evidence-based medicine and evidence synthesis, including publication and related biases, assessment of non-randomised studies, indirect treatment comparison, network meta-analysis, and evaluation of complex healthcare interventions.
- Primary research on public health interventions, health services research, the control of chronic conditions, disability and rehabilitation, smoking cessation and tobacco control.
- Vaccination against COVID-19 and society's return to normality in England: a modelling study of impacts of different types of naturally acquired and vaccine-induced immunity. in: BMJ Open. 2021, 16 Nov. 11,eo53507.
Post-lockdown SARS-CoV-2 nucleic acid screening in nearly ten million residents of Wuhan, China. Nat Commun. 2020 Nov 20;11(1):5917. doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-19802-w.
Online information on electronic cigarettes: comparative study of relevant websites from Baidu and Google search engines. JMIR, 2020; https://doi.org/10.2196/14725.
Impact of the NHS Stop Smoking Services on smoking prevalence in England: a simulation modeling evaluation. Tobacco Control 2020; 29:200-206
Cumulative subgroup analysis to reduce waste in clinical research for individualised medicine. BMC Medicine, 2016, 14:197. DOI: 10.1186/s12916-016-0744-x
Increasing value and reducing waste: addressing inaccessible research. Lancet. 2014; Jan 7. pii: S0140-6736(13)62296-5. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62296-5.
Inconsistency between direct and indirect comparison: a meta-epidemiological study. BMJ, 2011; 343:d4909 doi: 10.1136/bmj.d4909.
PhD Student Supervision
Welcome enquires about PhD study opportunities (by email: email@example.com) from UK and international students, regarding research topics, for example, on research synthesis methodology, health services research, global health and control of chronic conditions.
Research methods, systematic review and meta-analysis, evidence based practice, critical appraisal of research evidence
- Coordinate and teach postgraduate module on Evidence Based Practice (including statistical methods for evidence based practice, systematic reviews, critical appraisal of clinical research, assessment of studies of diagnostic tests).
PhD Student Supervision
Welcome enquires about PhD study opportunities (by email: firstname.lastname@example.org) from UK and international students. Research topics suitable for PhD studies include: (1) Research synthesis methodology. (2) Health services research, global health and control of chronic conditions. (3) Other evidence-based medicine and health services research topics
Key Research Interests and Expertise
I have extensive experience in systematic reviews and simulation modelling for evaluating healthcare interventions. I have been conducting methodological research concerning evidence synthesis, including heterogeneity in meta-analysis, publication and related biases, assessment of non-randomised studies, indirect and mixed treatment comparison for evaluating competing healthcare interventions, and methods for synthesizing evidence for the evaluation of complex healthcare interventions. My research interest also includes primary research on public health interventions, health services research, the control of chronic conditions, disability and rehabilitation, smoking cessation and tobacco control.
- Associate editor, BMC Medical Research Methodology (2011 - 2017)
- Invited member, Evidence Synthesis Meeting of the HTA Commissioning Board (07/2007)
- Invited member (expertise in evidence synthesis), Methods Review Workshop, National Institute for Clinical Excellence (05/2007)
- Invited examiner of external PhDs, University of Birmingham, and University of Liverpool (2006, 2009, 2011)
- Peer reviewing of MRC, ESRC, HTA, & DSEN grant applications.
- Member of Cochrane Collaboration Bias Research group, and MTM method Group
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Devlopment Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
The APW is created for producing three scoping reviews of the scientific literature to inform the development ofupdated requirements and upper limits of intake for iron, vitamin A and magnesium in children aged 0 3 years
5/03/21 → 30/09/22
Development of a medication adherence tool for people with bipolar disorder which will both identify non-adherent behaviour and the individual's barriers to medication adherence.
1/04/18 → 31/03/22
Cost-effectiveness of 4 mg dibotermin alfa/absorbable collagen sponge versus iliac crest bone graft for lumbar degenerative disc disease in the United KingdomCumming, D., Song, F., Taylor, R. S., Zahra, M., Williams, A. & Eggington, S., Jan 2022, In: Journal of Medical Economics. 25, 1, p. 59-65 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Downloads (Pure)
Evidence to underpin vitamin A requirements and upper limits in children aged 0 to 48 months: a scoping reviewHooper, L., Esio-Bassey, C., Brainard, J., Fynn, J., Jennings, A., Jones, N., Tailor, B., Abdelhamid, A., Coe, C., Esgunoglu, L., Fallon, C., Gyamfi, E., Hill, C., Howard Wilsher, S., Narayanan, N., Oladosu, T., Parkinson, E., Prentice, E., Qurashi, M., Read, L. & 5 others, , 10 Jan 2022, (Accepted/In press) In: Nutrients.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Quality of health economic evaluations in mainland China: A comparison of peer-reviewed articles in Chinese and in EnglishCheng, J., Zhang, Y., Zhong, A., Tian, M., Zou, G., Chen, X., Yu, H., Song, F. & Zhou, S., Jan 2022, In: Applied Health Economics and Health Policy. 20, p. 35–54 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-review
Song, F., Elwell-Sutton, T., Naughton, F. & Gentry, S., 18 Jun 2021, In: Tobacco Control. 30, 4, p. 380-385 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)9 Downloads (Pure)
Immune checkpoint inhibitors (anti PD‐1 or anti PD‐L1) plus platinum‐etoposide versus platinum‐etoposide alone for first‐line treatment of extensive small cell lung cancerGao, Y., Shi, S., Liu, M., Wu, F., Zhang, J., Song, F. & Tian, J., 19 Oct 2021, In: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2021, 10, CD014809.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Song, F. (Creator), UEA, 2018