Projects per year
- Director of Employability (BIO)
- Module organiser for Infection and Immunity (BIO-3C28)
- Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, UEA (2007-)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Food Research, UK (2004-2007)
- MRes & Ph.D. - University of Glasgow, UK (2000-2004)
- B.Sc. – Biomedical Science, University of Bradford, UK (1996-2000)
Key Research Interests and Expertise
I am a Molecular Microbiologist and my primary research interests relate to the environmental regulation of enteric pathogens such as Salmonella Typhimurium. We are particular interested in dissecting how various stresses and stimuli impact on virulence phenotypes, and whether they can be manipulated to develop novel antimicrobial or vaccine targets.
Current Research Projects
- Integration of envelope stress response pathways.
- The role of nitric oxide detoxification in physiology and pathogenesis.
- Identification of novel drug transport mechanisms.
- Nitrous oxide production by enteric and environmental bacteria (with Prof David Richardson)
- The role of chaperones in periplasmic homeostasis (with Dr Tom Clarke).
Life in our research group
Our research group uses a powerful combination of genetics, functional genomics, infection models and chemostat culture systems to understand the mechanisms that bacterial pathogens use to cause disease. We use the excellent facilities across the NRP such as the Wolfson Fermentation Laboratory and the brand new tissue culture facilities in the Biomedical research Centre. We are a new lab with lots of European flair and like to keep the fun in our science. We get together on a regular basis for lab meetings and journal presentations and we make sure that at least one group member goes to conferences relevant to our work. Group members recently presented at the American Society for Microbiology Salmonella Conference in Aix en Provence and we always make a regular appearance at Society for General Microbiology meetings in the UK. We are also committed to Science Outreach with lab members taking part in local science activities. We currently collaborate with several groups across the UK. If you think we can collaborate or help you in anyway please contact us.
Postdocs & Fellows
I am always happy to discuss possibilities for postdoctoral work and collaborations. Possible funding routes include applying for fellowships, e.g. EU Marie Curie or Royal Society fellowships, with me acting as sponsor, or grant applications with you as a named postdoc.
- Skills for Biologists (BIO-1A4Y)
- Microbiology (BIO-2B28)
- Molecular Biology (BIO-2B02)
- Molecular Cell Biology (BIO-3C10)
- Microbial Biotechnology (BIO-3C09)
- Infection and Immunity (BIO-3C28)
- Medical Biotechnology (BIO-M105)
- Microbial and Enzyme Biotechnology (BIO-M101)
- Medical Biotechnology and Host:Pathogen Interactions (BIO-M207)
- Research Skills (BIO-M14Y)
- Research project (BIO-M13Y)
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 16 Finished
9/07/18 → 31/08/18
12/04/17 → 11/01/21
The role of indole in modulating the expression of Salmonella Pathogenicity Island 1 (SPI-1) - Jessica Gray
Rowley, G. & Gaimster, H.
1/07/15 → 25/08/15
Griffiths, R., Soriano-Laguna, M., Alston, M., Richardson, D., Gates, A. J. & Rowley, G., 6 Aug 2019, In : mBIO. 10, 4, e01165-19.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile6 Citations (Scopus)42 Downloads (Pure)
The Salmonella specific, σE-regulated, STM1250 and AgsA, function with the sHsps IbpA and IbpB, to counter oxidative stress and survive macrophage killingHews, C. L., Pritchard, E. J. & Rowley, G., 23 Jul 2019, In : Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 9, 263.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)18 Downloads (Pure)
Maintaining Integrity Under Stress: Envelope Stress Response Regulation of Pathogenesis in Gram-Negative BacteriaHews, C. L., Cho, T., Rowley, G. & Raivio, T. L., 4 Sep 2019, In : Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 9, p. 313
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review articleOpen AccessFile23 Citations (Scopus)27 Downloads (Pure)
DiTing: A pipeline to infer and compare biogeochemical pathways from metagenomic and metatranscriptomic dataXue, C-X., Lin, H., Zhu, X-Y., Liu, J., Zhang, Y., Rowley, G., Todd, J. D., Li, M. & Zhang, X-H., 2 Aug 2021, In : Frontiers in Microbiology. 12, 698286.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Moeller, S., Payá, G., Bonete, M. J., Gates, A. J., Richardson, D., Esclapez, J. M. & Rowley, G., 17 May 2021, In : Frontiers in Environmental Science. 9, 660055.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review articleOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)