Projects per year
I joined the Norwich Medical School at UEA as a lecturer in March 2019.
I studied organic chemistry (MSc) at the University of Nantes in France and obtained a PhD in 2001 on food authentication using proton Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (1H NMR) and multivariate statistics (University of East Anglia). This was followed by postdoctoral appointments at the Quadram Institute (formerly the Institute of Food Research) on authentication of genetically modified foods and typical foods using metabolomics. In 2009, I took a sabbatical year from the IFR and took a postdoctoral position at the University of Nantes on nutritional imprinting. In 2010, I became the manager of the metabolomics unit in the IFR Analytical Science group and provided metabolite analysis on an open-access basis to staff and students. I have expertise in metabolomics/ lipidomics and over 20 years expertise in the field of metabolite analysis using techniques such as NMR and Mass Spectrometry (MS). My expertise covers data processing, deconvolution and multi and univariate analysis as well as compound identification. My knowledge extends to mammalian, food, plant and microbial metabolism. I have worked on numerous projects covering human nutrition and health, food authenticity, bacterial substrate specificity and the interactions between the host and the microbiota. In 2018, I was appointed in the Qi lab to develop a new thermal technique called Thermal Analysis by Structural Charaterization (TASC) and optimise the formulation of organogels for long term drug release.
I am an author or co-author of over 50 peer-reviewed articles, 5 book chapters, a Henri Stewart tutorial (NMR workflow from data analysis to metabolite identification, https://hstalks.com/bs/3611/) and numerous conference proceedings and posters. I also delivered tutorials at the “Introduction to metabolomics analysis” course at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) in Hinxton Cambridge and to UEA master students taking modules in forensic sciences and microbial cell biology (https://csr.quadram.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Microbial-Cell-Biology-lecture_Metabolomics.pdf).
- Manuscripts submitted to Food Chem, Magn. Reson. Chem., Anal. Chim. Acta, J. Agric. Food Chem., Br. J. Nutr. Phytochemistry, Mol. BioSyst., Metabolomics, Current Drug Metabolism, Plant Physiol. Biochem., Mol. Nutr. Food Res., Sci. Rep., J. Proteome Res., Nanotoxicology, ISME J., Am. J. Clin. Nutr., and book chapters (Bentham, Wiley)
- Research proposals submitted to the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council BBSRC ALERT calls (2013, 2014, 2017)
- Research proposals submitted to Broad Medical Research Program, Inflammatory bowel disease grants, USA (2012); Innovation research incentives scheme veni, wotro science for global development, Netherlands (2015); Funding opportunity for research projects, Poland (2015) and to the French National Institute for Agricultural Research INRA (2017)
- Tutorials “introduction to metabolomics” to UEA master students taking modules in forensic sciences (2011, 2012, 2013) and microbial cell biology (2016, 2017, 2018)
- Tutorials at the “Introduction to metabolomics analysis” course at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) in Hinxton Cambridge (2013, 2014, 2015)
- Online tutorial, UK, October 2017, NMR workflow from data analysis to metabolite identification – Henry Stewart Talks - https://hstalks.com/bs/3611/)
- London, UK March 2015, Gut microbiota and metabolomics – National Institute for Health Research, gastrointestinal infection annual meeting
- London, UK December 2014 Metabolite profiling of purple tomatoes for substantial equivalence assessment – FSA workshop: The application of new technologies to the risk assessment of genetically modified organisms
- Athens, Greece May 2014 Gut microbiota and metabolomics – International Probiotics Association (IPA) World Congress
- Greenwich, UK February 2014 Metabolomics in sport science and nutrition – invited seminar speaker at the University of Greenwich
- Manchester, UK September 2013 Metabolite profiling in food and nutrition research – Metabolomics Mass Spectrometry day
- Clermont-Ferrand, France March 2013 Acute consumption of flavan 3-ol enriched dark chocolate affects human endogenous metabolism - 2nd International Congress of Translational Research in Human Nutrition Integrative approaches in nutrition research
- Norwich, UK, April 2012 Metabolomics of mice and men - NMR Spectroscopy at the NRP
- Reading, UK September 2011 Who’s eaten all the chocolates? Markers of dark chocolate consumption by metabolomics – IFR and Food and Nutrition at the University of Reading
- Harrow UK, July 2011 Metabolomic & lipidomics studies on CCR5 -/- and WT mice – Meeting with the Antigen Presentation Research Group at Northwick Park Hospital
- Nantes, France, June 2011 Metabolomic studies in relation to human health and nutritional programming - NUPEM project – Nutritional imprinting annual symposium
- Marseille, France May 2010 An NMR-based pharmacometabonomic study of CYP3A4 activity – Journees scientifiques de metabolomique conference
- Aberdeen, UK Institute April 2010 Markers of dark chocolate consumption – invited seminar speaker at the Rowett Institute
Senior researcher, Quadram Institute Bioscience1 Apr 2010 → 31 Mar 2018
Post-doc, Institute of Food Research1 Oct 2001 → 31 Mar 2010
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 1 Finished
New high resolution mass spectrometry facilities for macromolecules and metabolites at the University of East Anglia
5/11/20 → 4/04/21
Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Quercetin on High-Glucose and Pro-Inflammatory Cytokine Challenged Vascular Endothelial Cell MetabolismOzyel, B., Le Gall, G., Needs, P. W. & Kroon, P. A., Mar 2021, In : Molecular Nutrition & Food Research. 65, 6, 2000777.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
Effects of in vitro metabolism of a broccoli leachate, glucosinolates and S-methylcysteine sulphoxide on the human faecal microbiomeKellingray, L., Le Gall, G., Doleman, J. F., Narbad, A. & Mithen, R. F., Jun 2021, In : European Journal of Nutrition. 60, 4, p. 2141–2154 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile8 Downloads (Pure)
Lactobacillus plantarum-mediated regulation of dietary aluminum induces changes in the human gut microbiota: An in vitro colonic fermentation studyYu, L., Duan, H., Kellingray, L., Cen, S., Tian, F., Zhao, J., Zhang, H., Le Gall, G., Mayer, M. J., Zhai, Q., Chen, W. & Narbad, A., Apr 2021, In : Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins. 13, 2, p. 398–412 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)
Faecal microbiota transplant from aged donor mice affects spatial learning and memory via modulating hippocampal synaptic plasticity- and neurotransmission-related proteins in young recipientsD’Amato, A., Di Cesare Mannelli, L., Lucarini, E., Man, A. L., Le Gall, G., Branca, J. J. V., Ghelardini, C., Amedei, A., Bertelli, E., Regoli, M., Pacini, A., Luciani, G., Gallina, P., Altera, A., Narbad, A., Gulisano, M., Hoyles, L., Vauzour, D. & Nicoletti, C., 1 Oct 2020, In : Microbiome. 8, 1, 140.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile5 Citations (Scopus)12 Downloads (Pure)
Identification of genes required for glucan exopolysaccharide production in Lactobacillus johnsonii suggests a novel mechanism of biosynthesisMayer, M. J., D'Amato, A., Colquhoun, I. J., Le Gall, G. & Narbad, A., 1 Apr 2020, In : Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 86, 8, 15 p., 02808-19.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)20 Downloads (Pure)