Projects per year
I joined the Norwich Medical School at UEA as a lecturer in March 2019.
I studied organic chemistry (MSc) at the University of Nantes in France and obtained a PhD in 2001 on food authentication using proton Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (1H NMR) and multivariate statistics (University of East Anglia). This was followed by postdoctoral appointments at the Quadram Institute (formerly the Institute of Food Research) on authentication of genetically modified foods and typical foods using metabolomics. In 2009, I took a sabbatical year from the IFR and took a postdoctoral position at the University of Nantes on nutritional imprinting. In 2010, I became the manager of the metabolomics unit in the IFR Analytical Science group and provided metabolite analysis on an open-access basis to staff and students. I have expertise in metabolomics/ lipidomics and over 20 years expertise in the field of metabolite analysis using techniques such as NMR and Mass Spectrometry (MS). My expertise covers data processing, deconvolution and multi and univariate analysis as well as compound identification. My knowledge extends to mammalian, food, plant and microbial metabolism. I have worked on numerous projects covering human nutrition and health, food authenticity, bacterial substrate specificity and the interactions between the host and the microbiota. In 2018, I was appointed in the Qi lab to develop a new thermal technique called Thermal Analysis by Structural Charaterization (TASC) and optimise the formulation of organogels for long term drug release.
I am an author or co-author of over 50 peer-reviewed articles, 5 book chapters, a Henri Stewart tutorial (NMR workflow from data analysis to metabolite identification, https://hstalks.com/bs/3611/) and numerous conference proceedings and posters. I also delivered tutorials at the “Introduction to metabolomics analysis” course at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) in Hinxton Cambridge and to UEA master students taking modules in forensic sciences and microbial cell biology (https://csr.quadram.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Microbial-Cell-Biology-lecture_Metabolomics.pdf).
- Manuscripts submitted to Food Chem, Magn. Reson. Chem., Anal. Chim. Acta, J. Agric. Food Chem., Br. J. Nutr. Phytochemistry, Mol. BioSyst., Metabolomics, Current Drug Metabolism, Plant Physiol. Biochem., Mol. Nutr. Food Res., Sci. Rep., J. Proteome Res., Nanotoxicology, ISME J., Am. J. Clin. Nutr., and book chapters (Bentham, Wiley)
- Research proposals submitted to the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council BBSRC ALERT calls (2013, 2014, 2017)
- Research proposals submitted to Broad Medical Research Program, Inflammatory bowel disease grants, USA (2012); Innovation research incentives scheme veni, wotro science for global development, Netherlands (2015); Funding opportunity for research projects, Poland (2015) and to the French National Institute for Agricultural Research INRA (2017)
- Tutorials “introduction to metabolomics” to UEA master students taking modules in forensic sciences (2011, 2012, 2013) and microbial cell biology (2016, 2017, 2018)
- Tutorials at the “Introduction to metabolomics analysis” course at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) in Hinxton Cambridge (2013, 2014, 2015)
- Online tutorial, UK, October 2017, NMR workflow from data analysis to metabolite identification – Henry Stewart Talks - https://hstalks.com/bs/3611/)
- London, UK March 2015, Gut microbiota and metabolomics – National Institute for Health Research, gastrointestinal infection annual meeting
- London, UK December 2014 Metabolite profiling of purple tomatoes for substantial equivalence assessment – FSA workshop: The application of new technologies to the risk assessment of genetically modified organisms
- Athens, Greece May 2014 Gut microbiota and metabolomics – International Probiotics Association (IPA) World Congress
- Greenwich, UK February 2014 Metabolomics in sport science and nutrition – invited seminar speaker at the University of Greenwich
- Manchester, UK September 2013 Metabolite profiling in food and nutrition research – Metabolomics Mass Spectrometry day
- Clermont-Ferrand, France March 2013 Acute consumption of flavan 3-ol enriched dark chocolate affects human endogenous metabolism - 2nd International Congress of Translational Research in Human Nutrition Integrative approaches in nutrition research
- Norwich, UK, April 2012 Metabolomics of mice and men - NMR Spectroscopy at the NRP
- Reading, UK September 2011 Who’s eaten all the chocolates? Markers of dark chocolate consumption by metabolomics – IFR and Food and Nutrition at the University of Reading
- Harrow UK, July 2011 Metabolomic & lipidomics studies on CCR5 -/- and WT mice – Meeting with the Antigen Presentation Research Group at Northwick Park Hospital
- Nantes, France, June 2011 Metabolomic studies in relation to human health and nutritional programming - NUPEM project – Nutritional imprinting annual symposium
- Marseille, France May 2010 An NMR-based pharmacometabonomic study of CYP3A4 activity – Journees scientifiques de metabolomique conference
- Aberdeen, UK Institute April 2010 Markers of dark chocolate consumption – invited seminar speaker at the Rowett Institute
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Senior researcher, Quadram Institute Bioscience
1 Apr 2010 → 31 Mar 2018
Post-doc, Quadram Institute Bioscience
1 Oct 2001 → 31 Mar 2010
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 1 Finished
New high resolution mass spectrometry facilities for macromolecules and metabolites at the University of East Anglia
5/11/20 → 4/04/21
(-)-Epicatechin mitigates anxiety-related behavior in a mouse model of high fat diet-induced obesityKang, J., Wang, Z., Cremonini, E., Gall, G. L., Pontifex, M. G., Muller, M., Vauzour, D. & Oteiza, P. I., 20 Sep 2022, (E-pub ahead of print) In: Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 109158.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Fecal microbiota transfer between young and aged mice reverses hallmarks of the aging gut, eye, and brainParker, A., Romano, S., Ansorge, R., Aboelnour, A., Le Gall, G., Savva, G. M., Pontifex, M. G., Telatin, A., Baker, D., Jones, E., Vauzour, D., Rudder, S., Blackshaw, L. A., Jeffery, G. & Carding, S. R., 29 Apr 2022, In: Microbiome. 10, 68.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile10 Citations (Scopus)4 Downloads (Pure)
Wilkinson, J., Ajulo, D., Tamburrini, V., Le Gall, G., Kimpe, K., Holm, R., Belton, P. & Qi, S., 1 Nov 2022, In: European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 178, 106253.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile8 Downloads (Pure)
Lipopolysaccharide associated with β-2,6 fructan mediates TLR4-dependent immunomodulatory activity in vitroYoung, I. D., Nepogodiev, S. A., Black, I. M., Le Gall, G., Wittmann, A., Latousakis, D., Visnapuu, T., Azadi, P., Field, R. A., Juge, N. & Kawasaki, N., 1 Feb 2022, In: Carbohydrate Polymers. 277, 118606.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)4 Downloads (Pure)
Scott, N. A., Lawson, M. A. E., Hodgetts, R. J., Le Gall, G., Hall, L. J. & Mann, E. R., May 2022, In: Immunology. 166, 1, p. 138-152 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile25 Downloads (Pure)