Projects per year
- Associate Editor, Therapeutic Advances in chronic disease (2011)
- Associate Editor Anti-inflammatory Agents in Medicinal Chemistry (2013)
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Internal Medicine (2013)
- Member of British Society of Gastroenterology Research Committee (2013)
- Member of the NIHR Gastroenterology Research Network Committee (2008)
- Member of the editorial boards of American Journal of Digestive Diseases, Edorium Journal of Gastroenterology, Clinical Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Allergy Drugs, Universal Journal of Clinical Medicine, www.gastrotraining.com, f1000 Research, World Journal of Gastrointestinal Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Webmedcentral Research (2010)
- Manuscript reviewer for over 50 peer-reviewed journals (2001)
- Grant submission reviewer for MRC, Wellcome, NIHR, Cancer Research UK (2003)
Areas Of Expertise
Key Research Interests and Expertise
- Biology of gastrointestinal peptide hormones
- Barrett’s oesophagus and oesophageal adenocarcinoma
- Regulation of gastrointestinal mucosal inflammation and the relationship to cancer
- Peptic ulcer disease and Helicobacter pylori infection
- Signal transduction in the gastrointestinal epithelium
- Gastrointestinal pharmacology, including the clinical trials of novel agents for inflammatory bowel diseases, anaemia and dyspepsia
- Aetiology and management of acute and chronic gastrointestinal bleeding
- Aetiology and treatment of Microscopic colitis
- Management of anaemia of gastrointestinal origin
- Management of Clostridium difficile infection
- Management of systemic diseases affecting the gastrointestinal tract
- Receptor biology
- JAK/STAT pathway
- Cancer biology
- Aetiology and prognosis of disease
Postgraduate Research Student Supervision
- Clinical gastroenterology
- Signal transduction
- Education and training
- Cell Biology
Enterprise and Engagement Activities
- Medical Advisor to Norfolk and Suffolk Crohns and Colitis group (2009)
- Member of National Advisory group for Crohn’s and Colitis UK (2009)
- Member of the Organising Committee for the World Organization for Specialized Studies on Diseases of the Oesophagus (2012)
- Advisory board member and consultant to several pharmaceutical and research organisations, including AstraZeneca, Proctor and Gamble, Shire, Ferring, Amgen, Pfizer, Almirall (2005)
I teach in all 5 years of the MB BS programme, in lecture, seminar, workshop and ward-based teaching situations. In addition to clinical gastroenterology/medicine, I teach physiology, pharmacology, cell biology and pathology.
I am very involved in teaching gastrointestinal endoscopy nationally and nationally. I chair the JAG quality assurance for endoscopy training working group and I am co-director the Norwich endoscopy training centre. I am member of both the British Society of Gastroenterology Training Committee and the National Endoscopy Training Centres Committee.
I am a member of the National Gastroenterology Specialty Examination Question writing group.
I have designed and provided the Integration and Revision courses for both the 3rd,4th and 5th year MB BS students.
I supervise 3rd, 4th and 5th year student undertaking clinical and laboratory-based research projects.
I examine in the MB BS course in the written papers, OSCEs, SSS presentations, Research Project review committees and Research Project marking.
I teach on the Endoscopy for Nurses, Nutrition for Nurses and Critical Care Nursing courses.
Professional Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- BSc (Biochemistry) – 1st Class Honours – 1986
- MB BS (Distinctions in Medicine, Surgery, Clinical Pharmacology, Pathology) – 1989
- MD – 1997
- MRCP (UK) – 1992
- FRCP – 2007
- FHEA – 2001
- FEBG - 2009
- MAcadMedEd - 2012
- Member of the British Society of Gastroenterology, American Physiological Society, British Pharmacological Society
- Deputy Director of MB BS course - Head of MB BS curriculum
- Module 8 Lead (Digestion and Nutrition)
- Head of Timetabling for MB BS course
- Member of MB BS assessment group
- Member of Year 3 examination board
- Member of the Curriculum Design and Implementation Committee (CDD) in the MB BS
- Lead for integrative teaching in MB BS years 3, 4 and 5.
- Co-director of the Norwich Endoscopy Training Centre
- Chair of Norfolk and Suffolk Gastroenterology Research Network
After initial clinical training in London, I completed my gastrointestinal clinical and research training in Cambridge and Norwich, with a period as a research fellow at the University of Michigan. I came to the UEA as one of the original core team responsible for the planning and set up of the Medical School. Currently, I combine clinical work as a consultant gastroenterologist with both undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research and at UEA I have built up a portfolio of clinical and laboratory studies examining a wide range of topics in gastroenterology. I have a wide interest and involvement in all aspects of undergraduate and postgraduate education. I was awarded the University’s Excellence in Teaching award in 2008 and elected to the Membership of the Academy of Medical Educators in 2012.
I was previously Head of Specialty Training and Training Programme Director for Gastroenterology in East of England (2006-12) and a member of the National Speciality Advisory Committee in Gastroenterology (2008-12).
I am the principle investigator in multiple clinical and commercial trials currently ongoing in the Norfolk and Suffolk area.
Adiponectin stimulates proliferation and cytokine secretion in colonic epithelial cells.
Ogunwobi O and Beales ILP
Regul Pep (2006) 134, 105-13
Glycine-extended gastrin inhibits apoptosis in colon cancer cells via separate activation of Akt and JNK pathways.
Beales ILP and Ogunwobi O
Mol Cell Endocrinol (2006) 247, 140-9
Leptin stimulates proliferation and inhibits apoptosis in Barrett’s esophageal adenocarcinoma cells by COX-2 dependent, PGE-2 mediated transactivation of the EGF receptor and JNK activation.
Ogunwobi O, Mutungi G and Beales ILP
Endocrinology (2006) 147, 4505-4516
Leptin synergistically enhances the anti-apoptotic and growth-promoting effects of acid in OE33 oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells in culture.
Beales ILP & Ogunwobi OO (2007)
Mol Cell Endocrinol (2007) 274, 60-68
Activation of Akt is increased in the dysplasia-carcinoma sequence in Barrett's oesophagus and contributes to increased proliferation and inhibition of apoptosis: a functional and immunohistochemical study.
Beales ILP, Ogunwobi OO, Cameron E, El-Amin K, Mutungi G, Wilkinson M
BMC Cancer (2007) 7, 97
Cyclo-oxygenase-independent inhibition of apoptosis and stimulation of proliferation by leptin in human colon cancer cells.
Ogunwobi OO and Beales ILP
Dig Dis Sci. (2007) 52,1934-45.
Clinical trial: oral prednisolone metasulfobenzoate (predocol) versus oral prednisolone for active ulcerative colitis.
Rhodes JM, Robinson R, Beales I, Pugh S, Dickinson R, Dronfield M, CJ, Wilkinson P, Wilkinson SP.
Aliment Pharm Therap (2008) 27, 228-40
Globular adiponectin, acting via adiponectin receptor-1, inhibits leptin-stimulated oesophageal adenocarcinoma cell proliferation.
Ogunwobi OO and Beales ILP
Mol Cell Endocrinol (2008) 285, 43-59
Statins inhibit proliferation and induce apoptosis in Barrett’s esophageal adenocarcinoma cells.
Ogunwobi OO and Beales ILP
Am J Gastroenterol (2008) 103, 825-37
Glycine-extended gastrin stimulates proliferation via JAK2- and Akt-
dependent NF-kappaB activation in Barrett's oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells.
Ogunwobi OO and Beales ILP
Mol Cell Endocrinol (2008) 296, 94-102
Glycine-extended gastrin inhibits apoptosis in Barrett’s oesophageal and adenocarcinoma cells through JAK2/STAT3 activation
J Mol Endocrinol (2009) doi:10.1677/JME-08-0096
- 4 Finished
1/09/08 → 31/08/09
1/02/07 → 31/03/08
RC double-blind trial of nasopharyngeal mupirocin or parental co-amoxiclav, or the combination, in prevention of infections associated with percutaneous endoscvopic gastrostomy
Beales, I., McGovern (N & N), J. & Fellows (N & N), I.
1/06/04 → 31/05/10
Beales, I. L. P. & Ogunwobi, O. O., Jun 2021, In : Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry. 476, 6, p. 2307–2316 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)4 Downloads (Pure)
Comparison of Different Strategies for Providing Fecal Microbiota Transplantation to Treat Patients with Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection in Two English Hospitals: A ReviewGoldenberg, S. D., Batra, R., Beales, I., Digby-Bell, J. L., Irving, P. M., Kellingray, L., Narbad, A. & Franslem-elumogo, N., Mar 2018, In : Infectious Diseases and Therapy. 7, 1, p. 71–86
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile24 Citations (Scopus)10 Downloads (Pure)
Microbial taxonomic and metabolic alterations during faecal microbiota transplantation to treat Clostridium difficile infectionKellingray, L., Gall, G. L., Defernez, M., Beales, I. L. P., Franslem-Elumogo, N. & Narbad, A., Aug 2018, In : Journal of Infection. 77, 2, p. 107-118
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile16 Citations (Scopus)22 Downloads (Pure)
Systematic Review and Meta-analysis: Use of Statins Is Associated with a Reduced Incidence of Oesophageal AdenocarcinomaThomas, T., Loke, Y. & Beales, I. L. P., Dec 2018, In : Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer. 49, 4, p. 442–454
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile18 Citations (Scopus)9 Downloads (Pure)
Beales, I., Dearman, L., Vardi, I. & Loke, Y., Jan 2016, In : Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 61, 1, p. 238-246 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile20 Citations (Scopus)10 Downloads (Pure)