Projects per year
My main research area was the tectonics of the Gulf of Corinth rift, Greece with a multidisciplinary approach to understanding the early stages of continental rifting. I also have interest in Quaternary palaeoclimate in the UK and east Mediterranean.
My main responsibilities are teaching across a range of Earth Sciences modules and developing initiatives to support and enhance student employability, both during their time at UEA and on graduation.
- 2007 - current: School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia. Lecturer in Earth Sciences (part time, full time from 2008)
- 2004 - 2008: School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia. PhD "The tectonic significance, sedimentology and palaeoenvironments of uplifted marine terraces in a forearc setting, southern Greece"
- 2003 - 2004: Department of Geography, Royal Holloway University of London. MSc Quaternary Science.
- 2000 - 2003: University of East Anglia. BSc Environmental Earth Sciences.
- 2007 - 2009: Various international placements and travel to Australasia and SE Asia.
- 1995 - 1997: Land Feeds Ltd. Marketing and Sales Manager for an organisation recycling industrial organic waste to agricultural land, promoting company growth across the UK.
- 1993 - 1995: Transorganics Ltd. Regional Manager (in turn the north east, south west, Scotland) recycling industrial organic waste to agricultural land.
- 1991 - 1993: Adams of York Ltd. Product Sales Manager designing bespoke biological treatment systems for water companies, the MOD and private business.
- 1987 - 1991: Grassland Research Institute, Devon. Research Assistant on projects optimising grassland management for dairy herds.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Corals and marine shells from Greece and Cyprus are the focus of PhD student Sam Royle's study testing marine fossil as recorders of high resolution palaeoclimate conditions, which I am supervising with Julian Andrews (Primary Supervisor).
Quaternary palaeoclimate research in the UK includes the challenges of resolving the number and timing of glaciations in East Anglia. This continues my MSc in Quaternary Science at Royal Holloway, University of London. My palaeoclimate interests now extend to warmer climates on establishing the rate and magnitude of sea level change during the last interglacial from marine and terrestrial sediments in Greece with Julian Andrews, Peter Rowe and Mike Leeder.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- Employability Director for ENV
- UEA Students Skills Award working group
I teach across a range of Earth Sciences modules in which I develop students' understanding and enthusiasm in Earth Sciences subjects, including field courses to Devon, Wales, Ireland and Greece.
Entwined in teaching is support for students gaining awareness and practice of the wide range of employability skills in ENV modules that will equip them for graduate level employment. Outside the taught programs I develop, organise and teach employability skills to students from ENV and from across the SCI faculty.
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 15 Finished
11/07/16 → 14/07/17
- 11 Article
Leeder, M., Kranis, H., Skourtsos, E., Andrews, J., Henstra, G., Mack, G., Muravchik, M., Turner, J. & Stamatakis, M., Jun 2018, In : Basin Research. 30, 3, p. 448-479 32 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile33 Citations (Scopus)12 Downloads (Pure)
Turner, J. A., May 2016, In : Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society. 61, p. 25-35 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article3 Citations (Scopus)
Pecten as a new substrate for IcPD dating: the Quaternary raised beaches in the Gulf of Corinth, GreecePierini, F., Demarchi, B., Turner, J. & Penkman, K., Feb 2016, In : Quaternary Geochronology. 31, p. 40-52 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile10 Citations (Scopus)6 Downloads (Pure)
Harwood, A. R., Lovett, A. A. & Turner, J. A., Oct 2015, In : Landscape and Urban Planning. 142, p. 106-119 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile6 Citations (Scopus)7 Downloads (Pure)
Environmental and diagenetic records from trace elements in the Mediterranean coral Cladocora caespitosaRoyle, S., Andrews, J., Turner, J. & Kruzic, P., 15 Dec 2015, In : Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 440, p. 734-749 16 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleFile3 Citations (Scopus)10 Downloads (Pure)