Projects per year
- Director, MSc in Applied Ecology and Conservation
- CEEC Rebellion co-ordinator
- Module convenor for Univariate Statistics and Multivariate Statistics, and co-convenor for Biodiversity Conservation and Human Society/Evidence-based Global Conservation
- Promotions Committee member
- Professor of Applied Ecology, University of East Anglia (2014-present)
- Reader, University of East Anglia (2007-2014)
- Lecturer, University of East Anglia (2006-2007)
- NERC Fellow, University of East Anglia (2003-2006)
- Tyndall Senior Research Associate, Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research (2001-2003)
- NERC Senior Research Associate, University of East Anglia (1998-2001)
- RSPB-funded Senior Research Associate, University of East Anglia (1994-1998)
- PhD: Population Ecology, University of East Anglia (1994)
- BSc: Zoology, University of Edinburgh (1990)
- Chair of Board, British Trust for Ornithology (2016 - present)
- Recipient of the Union Medal of the British Ornithologists' Union, 2017
- President of the British Ornithologists’ Union (2011 - 2015)
- Member of NERC Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services Sustainability (BESS) Programme Advisory Group (2010 - present)
- Member of All-party Parliamentary Group on Biodiversity (2010 - present)
- Recipient of the Marsh Award for Ornithology (2010)
- NERC Peer Review College (2009 - present)
- In Focus Editor: Journal of Animal Ecology (2017 -present)
- Associate Editor: Journal of Animal Ecology (2015 -present)
- Associate Editor: Journal of Applied Ecology (2005 -2008)
- Editorial Board member: Bird Study (2004 - 2018) and Ringing & Migration (2001 - 2018)
- Member of UKPopNet Science Management Committee (2006 - 2011)
- Vice-President, British Ornithologists’ Union (2009 - 2011)
- Chair of BOU Ibis journal Committee (2005 - 2008)
Key Research Interests and Expertise
I am an ecologist with primary interests in the ecology and evolution of migratory systems, and in applied issues of understanding and managing the impact of environmental changes on biodiversity. My research is principally focused on large-scale population regulation in migratory shorebirds, and developing tools for managing coastal habitats. Much of my large-scale shorebird work is constructed around a long-term study of Icelandic black-tailed godwits, Limosa limosa islandica. Since 1995, individual colour-marking of c. 1-2% of this population, and the development of a network of hundreds of volunteer observers across Europe, has allowed us to unravel the links between habitats of varying quality in summer and winter, and to track the population expansion in both seasons. These links have profound implications for a wide range of population and evolutionary processes, which we are exploring in detail. In addition to this work, I am also involved in studies of the impact of climate change on coastal habitats in the UK, management of lowland habitats for biodiversity and ecosystem services in the UK and drivers of spatial variation in population trends in migratory birds.
Current research projects
- Using phenological drivers of demograohy in conservation (with RSPB)
- Environmental and demographic drivers of migratory strategies in birds (with the University of Iceland and University of Cambridge)
- Seasonal interactions and rapid population declines in Afro-Palaearctic migratory birds (with the British Trust for Ornithology)
- Intra-guild relationships among predators of breeding waders (with the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds)
- Climatic impacts and conservation management for breeding Lapwing (with BTO and RSPB)
Life in our research group
Field research is carried out in a variety of locations and habitats. Our shorebird work includes breeding season research in Iceland (in collaboration with colleagues at the University of Iceland), and non-breeding season research in coastal habitats throughout western Europe. In addition, we work with colleagues at the RSPB to explore the consequences of different habitat management techniques for biodiversity and ecosystem services on wetlands, and with colleagues at the British Trust for Ornithology to explore demographic trends and their drivers in migratory species. Research into coral reef ecology and conservation (in collaboration with colleagues at Simon Fraser University, Canada) is focused around identifying large-scale changes in reef ecosystems and their ecological and socio-economic consequences. We are a dynamic group with passionate interests in conservation ecology, and we meet regularly to discuss and develop research ideas and plans. We attend many conferences and workshops and we are involved in organising the annual Rebellion student conference at UEA.
Postdocs & Fellows
I am always happy to discuss potential post-doctoral research and collaborations.
- Biodiversity Conservation and Human Society
- Evidence-based Global Conservation
- Univariate Statistics
- Multivariate Statistics
- Skills for Biologists (1A4Y)
- Annual fieldcourse of the MSc in Applied Ecology and Conservation
- Supervision of undergraduate and MSc dissertation projects
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Devlopment Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/02/21 → 31/01/22
1/10/20 → 30/09/23
1/10/18 → 31/03/22
1/10/18 → 31/03/22
Donelan, J., Morrison, C., Barr, I. & Gill, J., 2021, In: Bird Study. 68, 1, p. 36-43 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile5 Downloads (Pure)
Morrison, C. A., Butler, S. J., Robinson, R. A., Clark, J. A., Arizaga, J., Aurin, A., Baltá, O., Cepák, J., Chodkiewicz, T., Escandell, V., Foppen, R. P. B., Gregory, R. D., Husby, M., Jiguet, F., Atle Kalas, J., Lehikoinen, A., Lindstrom, A., Moshøj, C. M., Nagy, K., Leal Nebot, A. & 10 others, , 10 Mar 2021, In: Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 288, 1946, p. 20202955 1 p., 20202955.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)13 Downloads (Pure)
Mendez Aragon, V., Gill, J., Þórisson, B., Vignisson, S. R., Gunnarsson, T. G. & Alves, J., 2 Feb 2021, In: Scientific Reports. 11, 2782.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile7 Downloads (Pure)
Smart, J., Ewing, H., Franks, S., Belting, H., Donaldson, L., Hilton, G., Hiscock, N., Hoodless, A., Hughes, B., Jarrett, N., Kentie, R., Kleyheeg, E., Lee, R., Roodbergen, M., Scott, D., Short, M., Syroeschkovskiy, E., Teunissen, W., Ward, H. & 2 others, , 1 Apr 2021, In: Wader Study. 128, 1, p. 44-55 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-review1 Citation (Scopus)
Regional models of the influence of human disturbance and habitat quality on the distribution of breeding territories of common ringed plover Charadrius hiaticula and Eurasian oystercatcher Haematopus ostralegusTratalos, J. A., Jones, A. P., Showler, D. A., Gill, J. A., Bateman, I. J., Sugden, R., Watkinson, A. R. & Sutherland, W. J., Aug 2021, In: Global Ecology and Conservation. 28, e01640.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)17 Downloads (Pure)