Professor Pereira was appointed on the 15th August 1994, Consultant Surgeon at the James Paget Healthcare NHS Trust and in 1997, Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of East Anglia.
Professor Pereira has been a UK national trainer for Consultants and Surgical Trainees on breast reconstruction operations for many years and teacher in the Department of Education at the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
He has a special interest in the outcomes of surgery, and has been instrumental in developing and leading the national mastectomy and breast reconstruction audit programme. This is the first study in the world looking at outcomes of breast cancer surgery, and the largest patient outcomes study ever carried out in the UK.
Professor Pereira has demonstrated various surgical techniques at local, national and international levels, including performance of live-link television operations to consultant surgeons.
Professor Pereira was a researcher with the Royal College of Surgeons of England and has pioneered the peripheral nerve reconstruction operation to restore sensation in leprosy.
He received his MBBS from Madras University and postgraduate general surgical training was undertaken in various hospitals in the London region, and plastic surgical training was at Mount Vernon Hospital at Northwood, Queen Victoria Hospital at East Grinstead and the Emory Clinic in Atlanta, USA.
He has a strong background in research and has published extensively in areas of breast cancer, breast reconstruction, gynaecomastia, bowel disorders, Paget’s disease of the nipple and cancer awareness.
- Examiner (internal) for MSc and MD Degrees, UEA
- Course Director - MS Degree Programmes
- Lead Clinician - for National Mastectomy & Breast Reconstruction Audit Program
- Steering Committee Member for developing new National Breast Training C Curriculum.
1. Member of the Curriculum Development Design Group for the Medical School.
2. Chairman – JPUH Undergraduate Education Team. Clinical Tutor to unit 8 & 9 students. Examiner MBBS course. Supervisor for student research projects
3. Royal College of Surgeon’s – Education & Training Faculty Member. Intermediate Breast Course and Oncoplastic Breast Surgery.
4. Breast cancer related research. – multiple national/international presentations of topics that I have supervised.
5. Member of Professionalism and Conduct Committee – UEA.
6. Regional Breast Tutor for East of England. (RCS of England appointment)
7. Member of the ABS National Education & Training Committee
8. Member of the decision making group for local CEA awards.
9. Member of the Academic Breast Surgery Group – ABS.
1. Trust Lead for Medical School (accademic sub-dean role) developed high quality secondary care teaching resulting in University Hosptial status for JPUH – 2007.
2. As member of the Curriculum Development Team I played a key role in shaping a secondary care program particularly in increasing surgical teaching.- 2006.
3. Examiner for final MBBS, MD, MSc at UEA & overseas assessor for health sciences/MBBS degree program, University of Brunei – 2007.
4. Exam writing panel for MBBS OSCE's, MCQ's & PLAB exams (GMC).
5. Curriculum development for RCS courses - oncoplastic skills & breast disease management (2007) & planned MS oncoplastic breast surgery – ongoing.
6. Eastern Regional RCS Breast Tutor, conducting full-day operating training days in oncoplastic breast surgery/video-link operations & lectures - 2005 - ongoing.
7. Maintained CPD attending "Teaching the Breast Trainers Course", RCSeng - 2007 & "Advanced Communication & Materclass in Communication Skills" – 2007.
8. The National University Guide 2009, (Guardian newspaper) has given UEA 6th place for medicine including second best for quality of education. The school achieved second place in the National Student Survey – 2008.
9. Awards for teaching & training - received honorary professorship, UEA - 2009, FRCS ad uendeum - 2008, Associate of Higher Education.
Professor Pereira one of the founding members of Norwich Medical School, and leads the undergraduate programme at the James Paget University Hospitals. He has a strong interest in postgraduate education, and has led the development of Specialist Mastership programmes in breast and colorectal surgery, and is currently Programme Director to this innovative training programme, which provides the highest postgraduate qualification for these specialities. He is also examiner for European Breast Specialist Examination Board (EBSQ), MD and MSc degree programmes.