Projects per year
- I am Director of Admissions, Director of Engagement and also Disability Liaison Officer.
- I am Module Organizer for BIO-4003A Fundamentals of Molecular Biology and BIO-3C6Y Science Communication.
- I am also a member of the Biological Sciences Executive and the UEA Engagement Committee.
- Professor of Science Communication (2014-)
Senior Lecturer (2009-2014)
Lecturer, University of East Anglia (2006-2009)
- Teaching Fellow, University of East Anglia (2003-2006)
- BBSRC Postdoctoral Fellow, University of East Anglia (1997-2003)
- Institute of Food Research Postdoctoral Fellow (1996)
- BBSRC Postdoctoral Fellow, University of East Anglia (1992-1996)
- Ph.D. - University of Liverpool (1992)
- BSc Applied Biology, John Moores University (1989)
- I am committed to bringing science activities into local schools and to families. I have been awarded funding from a variety of organisations for science communication, including the Royal Society and the Wellcome Trust. I co-ordinate the mobile family science laboratory (www.mobilefamilylab.org). This project is an exciting way for children and adults of all ages and abilities to interact with biomedically related science. The mobile laboratory travels around Norfolk, visiting schools, science centres and public buildings. Individuals and families have the opportunity to visit and take part in hands-on science as well as our specially developed art in science activities. People are also able to become involved in discussion and debate over topical issues related to science.
- I am currently the director of UEA’s School:University Partnership Programme (http://ueasupp.org/) which is funded by the RCUK and aims to bring research-related activities to secondary schools.
- I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a Fellow of the Society of Biology. I am also a member of the education committee of the British Mycological Society. I hold an MA in Higher Education Practice and I am both a UEA Teaching Excellence Award winner in 2007 and a CueEast Engagement Award winner in 2009.
- I am currently Governor of the Norwich School and the Higher Education Academic Link for City of Norwich School.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
I am a molecular microbiologist, with a research interest in the genes involved in caffeine catabolism in microorganisms. I’m also interested in the biodiversity of fungi. I have a keen interest in science communication research and also face-to-face science communication activity.
Current Research Projects
- RCUK funded project on School:University Partnerships
- Assessing the impact of student feedback
- Assessing the impact of science communication projects on skill acquisition
Please email me to discuss PhD opportunities and projects within the School of Biological Sciences.
- Fundamentals of Molecular Biology and Genetics (BIO 4003A)
- Biodiversity (BIO-4001A)
- Microbiology (BIO-2B28)
- Microbial Biotechnology (BIO-3C09)
- Infection and Immunity (BIO-3C28)
- Science Communication (BIO-3C6Y)
- I also teach science communication to postgraduate research students.
1/01/16 → 31/12/16
28/09/13 → 28/09/13
1/09/09 → 31/07/10
The COVID University Challenge: A Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points Assessment of the Return of Students to Higher Education EstablishmentsEdmunds, K. L., Bowater, L., Brainard, J., De Coriolis, JC., Lake, I., Malik, R. R., Newark, L., Ward, N., Yeoman, K. & Hunter, P. R., 2 Jun 2021, In : Risk Analysis.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
Jones, H., Yeoman, K., Gaskell, E. & Prendergast, J. R., 2017, In : Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education. 42, 8, p. 1233-1246 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)13 Downloads (Pure)
Yeoman, K., Nardi, E., Bowater, L. & Nguyen, H., 2017, In : British Journal of Educational Studies. 65, 3, p. 281-305
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile22 Downloads (Pure)
The representation of scientific research in the national curriculum and secondary school pupils’ perceptions of research, its function, usefulness and value to their livesYeoman, K., Bowater, L. & Nardi, E., 12 Feb 2016, In : F1000Research. 4, 1442.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)10 Downloads (Pure)