Projects per year
I completed a PhD at the University of Birmingham on the hydrochemistry of the Chalk aquifer in north Norfolk and have extended my research interests at UEA to include the application of stable isotope methods and dissolved gases in hydrogeological investigations. I have employed stable isotopes of water and noble gases to understand groundwater recharge and flow processes and have developed nitrogen isotope methods to demonstrate the sources and fate of nitrate in several aquifer systems, both in the UK and internationally. A special interest has been the evaluation of the production and consumption of nitrous oxide in groundwater and the contribution by aquifers of this greenhouse gas to the atmosphere. Allied to these studies, I am currently researching the impacts of land management practices and climate change on groundwater resources through the application of groundwater models and my involvement with the EU Watercost and UNESCO International Hydrological Programme GRAPHIC (Groundwater Resources Assessment under the Pressures from Humanity and Climate Change) projects.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Hydrogeology; natural groundwater chemistry; stable isotope and dissolved gas applications in hydrogeology; contaminant hydrogeology; water resources management.
- Hiscock, K., Lovett, A., Saich, A., Dockerty, T., Johnson, P., Sandhu, C., Sünnenberg, G., Appleton, K., Harris, B. and Greaves, J. (2007) Modelling land-use scenarios to reduce groundwater nitrate pollution - the European Water4All project. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 40(4), 417-434. DOI: 10.1144/1470-9236/07-054
- Ingram, R.G.S., Hiscock, K.M. and Dennis, P.F. (2007) Noble gas excess air applied to distinguish groundwater recharge conditions. Environmental Science and Technology 41(6), 1949-1965. DOI: 10.1021/es061115r
- Posen, P., Lovett, A., Hiscock, K., Evers, S., Ward, R. & Reid, B., (2006). Incorporating variations in pesticide catabolic activity into a GIS-based groundwater risk assessment. Science of the Total Environment, 367, 641-652. ISSN 0883-2927. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2006.02.024
- Hiscock, K.M., (2005). Hydrogeology: principles and practice. Blackwell Science Ltd, Oxford, 389 pp. ISBN 0-632-05763-7. [link]
- Fukada, T., Hiscock, K.M. & Dennis, P.F., (2004). A dual-isotope approach to the nitrogen hydrochemistry of an urban aquifer. Applied Geochemistry, 19, 709-719. ISSN 0883-2927. DOI: 10.1016/j.apgeochem.2003.11.001
- Hiscock, K.M., Bateman, A.S., Mühlherr, I.H., Fukada, T. & Dennis, P.F., (2003). Indirect emissions of nitrous oxide from regional aquifers in the United Kingdom. Environmental Science & Technology, 37, 3507-3512. ISSN 0013-936x. DOI: 10.1021/es020216w
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- Joint Sector Head - Earth Sciences
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/02/18 → 31/07/21
1/01/18 → 20/10/23
1/08/21 → 31/07/26
Cooper, R., Hama-Aziz, Z., Hiscock, K., Lovett, A., Vrain, E., Dugdale, S., Sunnenberg, G., Dockerty, T., Hovesen, P. & Noble, L., Aug 2020, In : Soil and Tillage Research. 202, 13 p., 104648.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article6 Citations (Scopus)
Temporal hydrochemical dynamics of the River Wensum, UK: Observations from long-term high-resolution monitoring (2011–2018)Cooper, R. J., Hiscock, K. M., Lovett, A. A., Dugdale, S. J., Sünnenberg, G. & Vrain, E., 1 Jul 2020, In : Science of the Total Environment. 724, 138253.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article5 Citations (Scopus)
“We can’t do it on our own!”—Integrating stakeholder and scientific knowledge of future flood risk to inform climate change adaptation planning in a coastal regionPasquier, U., Few, R., Goulden, M. C., Hooton, S., He, Y. & Hiscock, K. M., 1 Jan 2020, In : Environmental Science & Policy. 103, p. 50-57 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile10 Citations (Scopus)19 Downloads (Pure)
An integrated 1D–2D hydraulic modelling approach to assess the sensitivity of a coastal region to compound flooding hazard under climate changePasquier, U., He, Y., Hooton, S., Goulden, M. & Hiscock, K. M., Sep 2019, In : Natural Hazards. 98, 3, p. 915-937 23 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile18 Citations (Scopus)13 Downloads (Pure)
1 Citation (Scopus)