Projects per year
I completed a PhD at the University of Birmingham on the hydrochemistry of the Chalk aquifer in north Norfolk and have extended my research interests at UEA to include the application of stable isotope methods and dissolved gases in hydrogeological investigations. I have employed stable isotopes of water and noble gases to understand groundwater recharge and flow processes and have developed nitrogen isotope methods to demonstrate the sources and fate of nitrate in several aquifer systems, both in the UK and internationally. A special interest has been the evaluation of the production and consumption of nitrous oxide in groundwater and the contribution by aquifers of this greenhouse gas to the atmosphere. Allied to these studies, I am currently researching the impacts of land management practices and climate change on groundwater resources through the application of groundwater models and my involvement with the EU Watercost and UNESCO International Hydrological Programme GRAPHIC (Groundwater Resources Assessment under the Pressures from Humanity and Climate Change) projects.
Key Research Interests
Hydrogeology; natural groundwater chemistry; stable isotope and dissolved gas applications in hydrogeology; contaminant hydrogeology; water resources management.
- Hiscock, K., Lovett, A., Saich, A., Dockerty, T., Johnson, P., Sandhu, C., Sünnenberg, G., Appleton, K., Harris, B. and Greaves, J. (2007) Modelling land-use scenarios to reduce groundwater nitrate pollution - the European Water4All project. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 40(4), 417-434. DOI: 10.1144/1470-9236/07-054
- Ingram, R.G.S., Hiscock, K.M. and Dennis, P.F. (2007) Noble gas excess air applied to distinguish groundwater recharge conditions. Environmental Science and Technology 41(6), 1949-1965. DOI: 10.1021/es061115r
- Posen, P., Lovett, A., Hiscock, K., Evers, S., Ward, R. & Reid, B., (2006). Incorporating variations in pesticide catabolic activity into a GIS-based groundwater risk assessment. Science of the Total Environment, 367, 641-652. ISSN 0883-2927. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2006.02.024
- Hiscock, K.M., (2005). Hydrogeology: principles and practice. Blackwell Science Ltd, Oxford, 389 pp. ISBN 0-632-05763-7. [link]
- Fukada, T., Hiscock, K.M. & Dennis, P.F., (2004). A dual-isotope approach to the nitrogen hydrochemistry of an urban aquifer. Applied Geochemistry, 19, 709-719. ISSN 0883-2927. DOI: 10.1016/j.apgeochem.2003.11.001
- Hiscock, K.M., Bateman, A.S., Mühlherr, I.H., Fukada, T. & Dennis, P.F., (2003). Indirect emissions of nitrous oxide from regional aquifers in the United Kingdom. Environmental Science & Technology, 37, 3507-3512. ISSN 0013-936x. DOI: 10.1021/es020216w
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- Joint Sector Head - Earth Sciences
Areas of Expertise
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/01/23 → 31/12/23
1/08/21 → 31/07/26
24/01/19 → 31/03/23
Export coefficient modelling of nutrient neutrality to protect aquatic habitats in the River Wensum Catchment, UKHiscock, K. M., Cooper, R. J., Lovett, A. A. & Sunnenberg, G., Oct 2023, In: Environments. 10, 10, 168.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)
Hydrochemical and dual-isotope approach to the identification of denitrification in arable field drainage in the Wensum catchment, eastern EnglandGarrard, N. L., Hiscock, K. M., Cooper, R. J., Marca, A. D. & Sünnenberg, G., Nov 2023, In: Applied Geochemistry. 158, 105803.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Two decades of the EU Water Framework Directive: Evidence of success and failure from a lowland arable catchment (River Wensum, UK)Cooper, R. J. & Hiscock, K. M., 15 Apr 2023, In: Science of the Total Environment. 869, 14 p., 161837.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review3 Citations (Scopus)
Evaluating the impacts of contrasting sewage treatment methods on nutrient dynamics across the River Wensum catchment, UKCooper, R. J., Warren, R. J., Clarke, S. J. & Hiscock, K. M., 15 Jan 2022, In: Science of the Total Environment. 804, 150146.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Trends in metaldehyde concentrations and fluxes in a lowland, semi-agricultural catchment in the UK (2008–2018)Balashova, N., Hiscock, K. M., Reid, B. J. & Reynolds, R., 15 Nov 2021, In: Science of the Total Environment. 795, 148858.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review2 Citations (Scopus)