Projects per year
Areas of Expertise
- Research Assistant, Royal Veterinary College 1990-1992
- Independent Research Fellow, Northwestern University Medical School 1998-2003
- Lecturer, University of East Anglia, 2003-2008
- Senior Lecturer, University of East Anglia, 2008-current
Key Research Interests
We are investigating the evolution of parasite molecules which are associated with host specificity and virulence in a number of parasites.
We thank the Wellcome Foundation, The European Commission, RCUK, British Council, CAPES CNPq, John and Pamela Salter Trust, The Wolfson Foundation, King Abdulasiz University and the University of East Anglia for support.
Research Group or Lab Membership
Technician and MRes - cryptosporiidum research
PhD student: - Trichomonas gallinae research
PhD student: - Leishmania research
PhD student: Bioinformatics research
- Edmundo Grisard
Visiting Scientist "role of parasite surface determinants in pathogenicity of chagas disease"
- Jo Chitty
NERC student - Genetic heterogeneity of Avian Malaria
- Tricia Lunnes
Visiting professor (UFRJ, Brazil) "Visualization of host cytoskeletal response during invasion by Trypanosoma cruzi"
- Daniel Gaspar de Silva
Visiting scientist (UFSC, Brazil) "Molecular heterogeneity of Trichomonas gallinae"
- Emma Barton
Wellcome vacation scholar "Molecular Epidemiology of pathogenic protozoa in a closed avian population"
- Claire Butler
PhD student and Postdoctoral Fellow "Host cell response to invasion by Trypanosoma cruzi"
- Maha Bouzid
PhD student and Postdoctoral Fellow "Virulence factors of anthroponotic Cryptosporidium"
- Momodou Jobe
Research Technician - "Establishing function of a MORN domain protein of Leishmania"
- Guy Wheeler
Post Doctoral Fellow "Host/parasite interaction with Trypanosoma cruzi"
- Audrey Dubourg
PhD Student: Giardia Trophozoite secreted proteins and their effects on intestinal epithelia
- Johanna Nader
PhD Student and Postdoctoral Fellow: Genetic Basis of Host Range and Virulence in Human Infective Cryptosporidium
- Abdulwahed Alrefaei
PhD Student: Impact of the genetic heterogeneity of Trichomonas gallinae on the molecular ecology of avian trichomonosis
- Eden Ramalho
Postdoctoral Fellow Cell Biology invasion and egress of trypanosomes and leishmanias
- Biohazards and Genetically Modified Organisms Safety Committee
- Course director MRes Clinical Science
- Chair shared PGT exam board
- Wolfson Emerging Pathogens Laboratory (University Safety Officer)
- Wolfson Emerging Pathogens Laboratory Management Committee - Chair
- Academic Director Intercalations and ACFs
- Course director MSc Health Science
- Academic Lead MBBS research project
- Academic Lead Biochemistry (MBBS)
- BMRC construction committee
- External lecture: Infection and Immunity Seminar, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2003)
- External lecture: Seminars in Life Sciences, Finch University Medical School, Chicago II (2003)
- External lecture: Brazilian Society of Protozoology, Keynote, Caxambu, Brazil (2004)
- External lecture: Cambridge Parasitology Seminar Series, Dept. of Pathology, Cambridge (2004)
- External lecture: Drugs and Bugs Symposium, John Innes Center, Norwich (2004)
- External lecture: Microbes in Norwich, Institute of Food Research (2004)
- External lecture: Lecture to the Pasteur Institute, Paris "Trypanosome Flagellum Meeting" (2006)
- External lecture: Invitee international workshop on eukaryotic microbiology, Lincoln College, Oxford (2007)
- External lecture: Lecture to Norwich Medico-Chirurgical Society (2007)
- Extracurricular lecture: Lecture to joint Cell and Molecular Sectors of BIO (2003)
- Extracurricular lecture: Lecture to Cell Biology Sector (2004)
- Extracurricular lecture: Lecture to Ecology and Conservation Group (2004)
- Lecture to Center for Intraprofessional Mathematical Research (2006)
- Lecture to BMRC forum (2006)
- Conference presentation: Tri-Tryp Meeting, Sanger Centre, Hinxton. (2003) Poster
- Conference presentation: British Society of Parasitology, Chester College, University of Liverpool (2004) Poster
- Conference presentation: Brazilian Society of Protozoology, Caxambu, Brazil (2004). 2 oral by self and by a co-author
- Conference presentations: Cold Spring Harbor Meeting on Host Pathogen Interactions, Sanger Center, Hinxton (2004) Poster.
- Conference presentation: Brazilian Society of Protozoology, Caxambu, Brazil (2005) 2 presentations. Talk and poster presented by co-authors.
- Conference presentation: International Conference on Parasitology (ICOPAXI). Talk, rafts and microtubules in cell invasion
- World Class Parasities Volume VII: American Trypanosomiasis Ed. K.M. Tyler and M. Miles. Series Ed. J.R. Seed and S. Black. Kluwer Academic Publishers
- International Journal for Parasitology April 2001, Special Issue. Guest Eds: A.M.R. Davila and K.M. Tyler. Ed. A. Johnson. Elsevier Science Ltd., on behalf of the Australian Society of Parasitology Inc.
- Organizer and Chair, Workshop ICOPA XI - 2006 "Host response to cell invasion."
- Organizer and publisher, The Kinetoplastid Internet Symposium - 2002
- Organizer and publisher, The Third Internet Conference on Salivarian Trypasosomes and Trypanosomatids - 2000.
- Advisory Board Member Parasites and Vectors. 2008-2017
- Editor in Chief, Kinetoplastid Biology and Disease 2004-2008
- Section Editor Parasites and Vectors 2015-17
- Editor in Chief of Virulence 2018-current
- (Honorary General) Secretary to the British Society for Parasitology 2018 - current
- Distinguished Adjunct Professor King Abdulazis University 2018-current
I am interested in working to ensure that clinicians are able to understand the scope and limitations of scientific research and are able to integrate research into their clinical careers. To this end I have manage provision of the short research project of the MB/BS and the intercalated MRes degree (the first of its kind in the UK). In the near future I hope to be able to offer some students the opportunity to pursue a seven year fully integrated MB/PhD program which at this time will be unique in the UK.
MRes Health Research
- Course director and Academic Lead
- PGT exam boards
- EC Panels
- Teaching Committee
- SSS - Biochemistry - Yr 3.
- MBBS teaching by lecture, seminar and tutorial.
BSc Biological Sciences/ BioMedicine
- Parasitology lectures
- Evolution in Health and Diseases lectures
- King's College, University of London, The Strand, London, UK. BSc 1990 Immunology and Molecular Biology
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel St, London, UK. MSc 1993 Applied Molecular Biology of Infectious Disease
- University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK. PhD 1998 Biochemistry
Protozoan parasites cause many of the world's worst diseases and are amongst the greatest sources of suffering and death. Because most are restricted to the developing world, researching the biology of these organisms with a view to deriving effective drugs, vaccines and diagnostics has been long neglected. My research has been focussed on this group of organisms for many years and my group's research investigates the interactions between these organisms and their human host, and whether by elucidating and disrupting these interactions we can provide novel therapies.
In the fight against disease, I believe it is important that tomorrow's doctors are able to incorporate understanding and indeed practice of biomedical research into their treatment of disease; to understand the importance of the evidence base for the practice of modern medicine. For this reason at UEA I have worked to introduce a research project into the MBBS syllabus and an intercalated MRes course for those medical students wishing to pursue research actively during their medical careers. I hope to be able to offer an intercalated PhD course to medical students in the future.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Editor-in-Chief, Virulence, Taylor and Francis (UK)
22 Jul 2019 → …
Distinguished Adjunct Professor , King Abdulaziz University
1 Jun 2019 → …
Honorary General Secretary, British Society for Parasitology
30 Apr 2019 → 30 Apr 2021
Founder/Advisory Board/-Parasites & Vectors, BioMed Central
30 Dec 2004 → …
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
BIOINFORMATICS - Studentship
Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia Cultural Bureau, London
1/07/22 → 30/06/23
Screening Alliin plus for cryptosporidium activity for Orffa
1/09/21 → 29/02/24
King Abdulaziz University donation 2
King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology
1/11/20 → 31/10/24
King Abdulaziz University donation 1
King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology
1/11/20 → 31/10/24
Meeshal Sabir PhD studentship
1/10/20 → 30/09/23
Euglena International Network (EIN): Driving euglenoid biotechnology for the benefit of a challenged worldEbenezer, T. E., Low, R. S., O'Neill, E. C., Huang, I., DeSimone, A., Farrow, S. C., Field, R. A., Ginger, M. L., Guerrero, S. A., Hammond, M., Hampl, V., Horst, G., Ishikawa, T., Karnkowska, A., Linton, E. W., Myler, P., Nakazawa, M., Cardol, P., Sánchez-Thomas, R., Saville, B. J. & 8 others, , Nov 2022, In: Biology Open. 11, 11, bio059561.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)
Genomic erosion in a demographically recovered bird species during conservation rescueJackson, H. A., Percival-Alwyn, L., Ryan, C., Albeshr, M. F., Venturi, L., Morales, H. E., Mathers, T. C., Cocker, J., Speak, S. A., Accinelli, G. G., Barker, T., Heavens, D., Willman, F., Dawson, D., Ward, L., Tatayah, V., Zuël, N., Young, R., Concannon, L., Whitford, H. & 12 others, , Aug 2022, In: Conservation Biology. 36, 4, e13918.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)6 Downloads (Pure)
Global population genomics of two subspecies of Cryptosporidium hominis during 500 years of evolutionTichkule, S., Cacciò, S. M., Robinson, G., Chalmers, R. M., Mueller, I., Emery-Corbin, S. J., Eibach, D., Tyler, K. M., van Oosterhout, C. & Jex, A. R., Apr 2022, In: Molecular Biology and Evolution. 39, 4, msac056.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile7 Citations (Scopus)4 Downloads (Pure)
Mitochondrial RNA editing in Trypanoplasma borreli: new tools, new revelationsGerasimov, E. S., Afonin, D. A., Korzhavina, O. A., Lukeš, J., Low, R., Hall, N., Tyler, K., Yurchenko, V. & Zimmer, S. L., 2022, In: Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal. 20, p. 6388-6402 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
A new subspecies of Trypanosoma cyclops found in the Australian terrestrial leech Chtonobdella bilineataEllis, J., Barratt, J., Kauffer, A., Pearn, L., Armstrong, B., Johnson, M., Park, Y., Downey, L., Cao, M., Neill, L., Lee, R., Ellis, B., Tyler, K., Lun, Z-R. & Stark, D., Sep 2021, In: Parasitology. 148, 10, p. 1125-1136 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile9 Citations (Scopus)8 Downloads (Pure)
COVID-19 vaccines for animals
1 Media contribution
Press/Media: Press / Media
1 item of Media coverage
Press/Media: Press / Media