Projects per year
- Member of the IoH research committee and research theme leader for chronic illness and rehabilitation and leader for the clinical trials research sub-group.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
General interests are in the field of clinical trials and trials methods. Areas of particular interest have been rheumatology and orthopaedics.
Research Group Membership
Currently a member of Population Health Group.
Current teaching commitments are to the MBBS medical degree in the medical school and to the MSc in Health Sciences in the Institute of Health. I currently have responsibility for the research methods stream of teaching in years 1 to 3 of the MBBS medical degree and head up the Introduction to Research Methods and the Statistical Methods for Research units on the MSc.
Areas Of Expertise
- Mathematics BSc, First Class, Leicester Polytechnic, 1992
- Medical Statistics, MSc, Leicester University, 1993
- PhD, University of Bristol, 1998
- Medical Statistician/Research Associate, Rheumatology Unit, University of Bristol, 1997 – 1998
- Lecturer in Medical Statistics, University of East Anglia, 1998 – 2002
- Senior Lecturer in Medical Statistics, University of East Anglia, 2002 – 2004
- Reader in Medical Statistics, University of East Anglia, 2004 - Present
- Member of the Arthritis Research Campaign’s clinical trials data monitoring and ethics committee.
- Scientific reviewer for the ARC, HTA and MRC
- Reviewer for Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Rheumatology and British Medical Journal.
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Inflammatory drivers of long-term comorbidity trajectories: an AI investigation of multimorbidity (INFLAIM)
4/01/21 → 8/10/21
Cross-sectional associations between 24-hour activity behaviours and mental health indicators in children and adolescents: A compositional data analysisFairclough, S. J., Tyler, R., Dainty, J. R., Dumuid, D., Richardson, C., Shepstone, L. & Atkin, A. J., 2021, In : Journal of Sports Sciences. 39, 14, p. 1602-1614 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)4 Downloads (Pure)
Impact of COVID-19 pandemic social restriction measures on people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases in the UK: a mixed-methods studySmith, T. O., Belderson, P., Dainty, J. R., Birt, L., Durrant, K., Chipping, J. R., Tsigarides, J., Yates, M., Naughton, F., Werry, S., Notley, C., Shepstone, L. & MacGregor, A. J., 2 Jun 2021, In : BMJ Open. 11, 6, e048772.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile15 Downloads (Pure)
Patient reported outcome measures in meniscal tears and arthroscopic meniscectomy: The value of outcome score predictionAl-Dadah, O., Shepstone, L. & Donell, S. T., May 2021, In : Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research. 107, 3, 102803.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article2 Citations (Scopus)
Randomised controlled trial of a just-in-time adaptive intervention (JITAI) smoking cessation smartphone app: the Quit Sense feasibility trial protocolNaughton, F., Brown, C., High, J., Notley, C., Mascolo, C., Coleman, T., Barton, G., Shepstone, L., Sutton, S., Prevost, A. T., Crane, D., Greaves, F. & Hope, A., 26 Apr 2021, In : BMJ Open. 11, 4, e048204.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile5 Downloads (Pure)
Study of mirtazapine for agitated behaviours in dementia (SYMBAD): a randomised, 1 double-blind, placebo-controlled trialBanerjee, S., Stirling, S., Shepstone, L., Swart, A. M., Telling, T., Ballard, C., Bentham, P., Burns, A., Farina, N., Fox, C., Francis, P., Howard, R., Knapp, M., Leroi, I., Livingston, G., Nilforooshan, R., Nurock, S., O’Brien, J., Price, A., Thomas, A. J. & 2 others, , 13 May 2021, (Accepted/In press) In : The Lancet.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article