Projects per year
I always welcome email email@example.com enquiries from potential PhD students. Our research opportunities allow you to search for projects and scholarships and there is further information about becoming a Postgraduate Research student at UEA here.
Maria is a Lecturer in Analytical Chemistry in the School of Chemistry since October 2017. Maria graduated in Chemistry from the University Jaume I (Spain) in 2007 having spent a year as an Erasmus student at Cork Institute of Technology, Ireland. She then moved to the School of Chemistry at the University of East Anglia (UEA) where she obtained her PhD in Analytical Bionanotechnology (2012) under the supervision of Prof David A. Russell. Her PhD thesis involved interdisciplinary work on intracellular detection and quantification of pH and nitric oxide (NO) using nanoparticles and molecular probes. Her research focused mainly on the synthesis, characterisation, and biological application of functionalised nanoparticles which act as sensors and ratiometric sensors of pH, and on the chemical and biological evaluation of fluorescent molecules which act as markers of NO. Her PhD thesis was complemented with a European Society for Photobiology (ESP) supplement to the PhD Degree awarded in 2015.
From September 2012 to April 2017, Maria was a Postdoctoral Researcher at UEA under the supervision of Prof David A. Russell and Prof Rob A. Field (John Innes Centre). During this period, she worked on several multidisciplinary projects including: 1) the development of simple bioassays based on gold glyconanoparticles for the diagnosis of influenza virus and for the specific detection of Siglecs; 2) the use of double stranded DNA functionalised gold nanoparticles to rapidly determine the crosslinking of DNA duplexes by bisintercator ligands (with Prof M. Searcey, School of Chemistry, UEA); 3) the intracellular evaluation of fluorescent macrocyclic probes as markers of acidic organelles (with Dr F. Galindo, University Jaume I, Spain) and nanosensors for the imaging of compartmentalised NO (with Dr J. Gravilovic and Dr P. Thomas, School of Biological Science, UEA); and 4) the use of nanomaterials (gold, magnetic and upconversion nanoparticles) as drug delivery systems, especially for targeted photodynamic therapy (PDT) of cancer (with Dr Ll. Pérez, University of Barcelona (Spain) and University of Nottingham; and Dr T. Hirsch, University of Regensburg, Germany). Maria has also worked in the field of Forensic Sciences, performing research on the use of antibody functionalised nanoparticles for the detection of drugs and drug metabolites in latent fingerprints.
During her career, Maria has also gained experience in industry. She was an Analyst at Iproma S. L. (Castellón, Spain, from July to September 2006) and I worked as part of the Quality Control and Assurance teams at Johnson Matthey Pharmaceutical Materials (Cork, Ireland, from April to December 2007). During the final year of her PhD, she worked as an Analyst in the Anti-doping Laboratory for the London 2012 Olympic Games under the leadership of GlaxoSmithKline and the Drug Control Centre at King’s College London. From April to October 2017, Maria was a Development Scientist at Iceni Diagnostics (Norwich Research Park Innovation Centre), a company specialised on the development of carbohydrate based diagnostics with who she maintains strong links.
Maria has won several best oral and poster presentation prizes and was awarded the Roscoe Gold Medal for Chemistry and the Westminster Medal for the overall winner during the 2014 SET for Britain.
“Imaging of compartmentalised intracellular nitric oxide, induced during bacterial phagocytosis, using a metalloprotein-gold nanoparticle conjugate”
R. Leggett, P. Thomas, M. J. Marín, J. Gavrilovic and D. A. Russell. Analyst (2017)
“Water soluble multifunctional antibody-porphyrin-functionalised gold nanoparticles for targeted photodynamic therapy”
O. Penon, M. J. Marín,* D. A. Russell and Ll. Pérez-García* (*Corresponding Authors). J. Colloid Interface Sci. 496, 100-110 (2017)
“Upconversion nanomaterials for photodynamic therapy”
M. J. Marín and D. A. Russell, Invited book chapter for the RSC book: "Near-infrared nanomaterials: Preparation, Bioimaging and Therapy Applications", Edited by Fan Zhang and Dongyuan Zhao. 2016, Chapter 7, Pages 192-231 10.
“Glyconanoparticles for colorimetric bioassays”
M. J. Marín, C. L. Schofield, R. A. Field and D. A. Russell. Analyst, 140, 1, 59-70 (2015)
“Glyconanoparticles for the plasmonic detection and discrimination between human and avian influenza virus”
M. J. Marín, A. Rashid, M. Rejzek, S. R. Martin, J. W. McCauley, T. Wileman, R. A. Field and D. A. Russell. Org. Biomol. Chem., 11, 41, 7101-7107 (2013)
“A rapid screen for molecules that form duplex to duplex crosslinks in DNA”
M. J. Marín, B. D. Rackham, A. N. Round, L. A. Howell, D. A. Russell and M. Searcey. Chem. Commun., 49, 80, 9113-9115 (2013)
“Localized intracellular pH measurement using a ratiometric photoinduced electron-transfer-based nanosensor”
M. J. Marín, F. Galindo, P. Thomas and D. A. Russell. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 51, 38, 96579661 (2012)
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Research in the Marín group focuses on the application of nanoscience to address biological challenges. The main interests are in the synthesis and the use of nanomaterials as colorimetric sensors, intracellular sensors and as drug delivery systems for cancer treatment.
Research group members:
- Carla Arnau del Valle: SCI Faculty funded PhD student since 2018. Email: C.Arnau-Del-Valle@uea.ac.uk
- Joshua Greening: MChem Student.
- Charlotte Bayley: MChem Student.
Former research group members:
- Brydie Moore: Visitor PhD student from John Innes Centre (Norwich, UK). 2018-2019.
- Ana Torres Martinez: Visitor PhD student from University Jaume I (Castellon, Spain). From September to November 2018.
Membership of External Committees
- Member of the Advanced Study Course on Optical Chemical Sensors (ASCOS) Advisory Committee, since 2018
- Member of the RSC Analytical Division East-Anglia Region Committee, since 2018
Oral Presentations and Invited Lectures
- Invited: School of Pharmacy Seminar, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. 15/10/2018
- Invited: 4th International Conference Current Trends in Cancer Theranostics, TonyResort, Lithuania.
- Invited: School of Chemistry, University Jaume I, Castellón, Spain. 03/11/2017
- Invited: Institute of Organic Chemistry, Spanish Council for Scientific Research (CSIC), Madrid, Spain. 15/04/2016
- Invited: Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (UNED), Madrid, Spain. 15/04/2016
- Europt(r)ode XIII, Graz, Austria. 21/03/2016
- 16th European Society for Photobiology Congress 2015, Aveiro, Portugal. 04/09/2015
- Invited: Institut für Analytische Chemie, Chemo- and Biosensorik, Universität Regensburg, Germany. 01/11/2014
- Invited: Institut für Analytische Chemie, Chemo- and Biosensorik, Universität Regensburg, Germany. 28/10/2014
- Invited: School of Chemistry – 50th Anniversary Research Colloquium, UEA, Norwich, UK. 17/09/2014
- Friends of John Innes Centre Event: Sugar – more than just calories, John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK. 15/05/2014
- Europt(r)ode XII, Athens, Greece. 16/04/2014
- 15th European Society for Photobiology Congress 2013, Liège, Belgium. 05/09/2013
- School of Chemistry – Annual Research Colloquium, UEA, Norwich, UK. 08/07/2013
- Europt(r)ode XI, Barcelona, Spain. 02/04/2012
- III Jornadas Ibéricas de Fotoquímica, Granada, Spain. 07/09/2011
- Royal Society of Chemistry Analytical Research Forum 2011, Manchester, UK. 26/07/2011
- School of Chemistry – Annual Research Colloquium, UEA, Norwich, UK. 16/07/2011
- School of Chemistry – Annual Research Colloquium, UEA, Norwich, UK. 28/06/2010
Selected Poster Presentations
- RSC Chemical Biology Symposium, London, UK. 21/05/2018
- The Glycobiology Training, Research and Infrastructure Centre (GlycoTRIC) Glycoscience Symposium 2017, London, UK. 04/04/2017
- SET for BRITAIN, House of Commons, London, UK. 17/03/2014
- School of Chemistry – Annual Research Colloquium, UEA, Norwich, UK. 05/07/2012
- European Society for Photobiology School, Brixen/Bressanone, Italy. 18-23/06/2012
- Royal Society of Chemistry Analytical Research Forum 2010, Loughborough, UK. 27/07/2010
- Royal Society of Chemistry Analytical Research Forum 2009, Canterbury, UK. 15/07/2009
- Analytical Sciences Summer School Winter Workshop, Warwick, UK. 08-13/09/2008 and 01-05/12/2008
- Associate member of the Royal Society of Chemistry, member of the Analytical Division
- Member of the Real Sociedad Española de Química, Spain
- Member of the European Society for Photobiology
Participation in European Networks
COST Action CM1403: “The European upconversion network – from the design of photon-upconverting nanoparticles to biomedical applications”. Until 2017
- Invited Short-Listed ‘Pitch’: “Quick and Simple Diagnostic Flu Test using Gold and Sugars” 2015 Royal Society of Chemistry Emerging Technologies Showcase Competition, London. 29/06/2015
- Patent: GB application no.: 1313201.4: Title: “Virus Detection”; University of East Anglia and John Innes Centre; Named Inventors: M. J. Marín, D. A. Russell, A. Rashid, M. Rejzek and R. A. Field, 2013
- Contribution to the Norwich Science Festival – RSC stand, Norwich, UK. 2018
- Contribution to the RSC Schools Analyst competition at UEA, UK. 2018
- Contribution to Science Art Writing (SAW) Book on Antimicrobial Resistance. The SAW Trust. 2017
- Friends of John Innes Centre Event: Sugar – more than just calories, Norwich, UK. 2014
- SET for BRITAIN, House of Commons, London, UK. 2014
- Westminster Medal, overall winner across five Science, Engineering and Technology (SET – currently STEM) disciplines, SET for Britain, House of Commons, 2014
- Roscoe Medal, Gold Medal in Chemistry, SET for Britain, House of Commons, 2014
Awards for Research Presentations
- Best Post-Doctoral Research Associate Oral Presentation Award, School of Chemistry – 50th Anniversary Research Colloquium, University of East Anglia. 17/09/2014
- Best Post-Doctoral Research Associate Oral Presentation Award, School of Chemistry – Annual Research Colloquium, University of East Anglia. 08/07/2013
- Best Poster Presentation Award, School of Chemistry – Annual Research Colloquium, University of East Anglia. 05/07/2012
- Best Oral Presentation Award, Royal Society of Chemistry, Analytical Research Forum 2011. 26/07/2011
- Best Poster Presentation Award, Royal Society of Chemistry, Analytical Research Forum 2009. 15/07/2009
- Best Poster Presentation Award, Royal Society of Chemistry & Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, Analytical Sciences Summer School Winter Workshop. 08-13/09/2008 and 01-05/12/2008
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Kaplani, E., Hui, O., Mayes, A., Wright, J., Cammidge, A., Khimyak, Y., Sobolewski, A., Askounis, A., Liss, P., Baker, A., Melendi-Espina, S., Fielden, J., Fabian, L., Lettice, F., Nolte, S., Hernaez Saenz De Zaitigui, M., Chao, Y., Saeed, A., Lord, R., Marin, M. J., Tolhurst, T., Alexander, M. & Romanov, A.
6/11/20 → 5/05/22
1/10/20 → 30/09/24
14/01/19 → 13/06/19
1/10/18 → 31/03/20
Non-polymeric nanogels as versatile nanocarriers: Intracellular transport of the photosensitizers Rose Bengal and Hypericin for photodynamic therapyTorres-Martinez, A., Bedrina, B., Falomir, E., Marin, M. J., Angulo-Pachon, C. A., Galindo, F. & Miravet, J. F., 19 Apr 2021, In : ACS Applied Bio Materials. 4, 4, p. 3658–3669 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Peptide directed phthalocyanine-gold nanoparticles for selective photodynamic therapy of EGFR overexpressing cancersGoddard, Z. R., Beekman, A. M., Cominetti, M. M. D., O'Connell, M. A., Chambrier, I., Cook, M. J., Marin, M. J., Russell, D. A. & Searcey, M., 1 Feb 2021, In : RSC Medicinal Chemistry. 12, 2, p. 288-292 5 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)13 Downloads (Pure)
Recent developments in the use of glyconanoparticles and related quantum dots for the detection of lectins, viruses, bacteria and cancer cellsHernando, P. J., Dedola, S., Marin, M. J. & Field, R. A., 19 Jul 2021, In : Frontiers in Chemistry. 9, 668509.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile
Goddard, Z. R., Marin, M. J., Russell, D. A. & Searcey, M., 7 Dec 2020, In : Chemical Society Reviews. 49, 23, p. 8774-8789 16 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile16 Citations (Scopus)18 Downloads (Pure)
Aptamer-modified gold nanoparticles for rapid aggregation-based detection of inflammation: an optical assay for interleukin-6Giorgi-Call, S., Marin, M. J., Sule, O., Hutchinson, P. J. & Carpenter, K. L. H., 1 Jan 2020, In : Microchimica Acta. 187, 11 p., 13.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile11 Citations (Scopus)25 Downloads (Pure)
Marin, Maria J. (Recipient), 2014
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
Marin, Maria J. (Recipient), 2014
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)