Projects per year
Licence ès Lettres (English and Applied Linguistics), University of Strasbourg (France), 1977;
Maîtrise (Applied Linguistics), University of Strasbourg (France), 1979;
PhD (Applied Linguistics), University of East Anglia, Norwich (UK), 1990.
Marie-Noëlle Guillot is Emeritus Professor of Linguistics and Translation Studies at the University of East Anglia (UEA), Norwich. During her career at the UEA, she taught French, Linguistic and Translation Studies, with particular focus on issues of intercultural communication in a globalized world in latter years. Her research shifted from applied linguistics to cross-cultural pragmatics, and to audiovisual translation from a cross-cultural pragmatics perspective. She has a particular interest in cross-cultural representation, and has explored the question in museum translation and in film subtitling. It was the main theme of the 2016-17 ARHC-funded international network project for which she was the Principal investigator - Tapping the Power of Foreign Language Films: Audiovisual Translation as Cross-cultural Mediation (AHRC Grant AH/N007026/1) and main Guest Editor for the resulting Special Issue publications (see below). She is currently Co-Editor of the research journal Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice.
Guillot, M.-N, Pavesi, M. and Desilla, L (Eds) 2019 'Audiovisual Translation as Intercultural Mediation', Multilingua Special Issue 38(5).
Guillot, M.-N. (Ed.) 2020 'Theories, Data, Methodologies: AVT through the Lens of Multidisciplinarity with Ocean’s Eleven', Perspectives Special Issue 28(6).
Other publications in translation include 'The pragmatics of audiovisual translation: Voices from within in film subtitling' (Journal of Pragmatics 170, 2020), ‘Ocean's Eleven stand-alone Scene 12 with subtitles - a gift for teaching, what lessons for research?’ (in Guillot Ed. Perspectives 'Theories, Data, Methodologies: AVT through the Lens of Multidisciplinarity with Ocean’s Eleven', 28(6), 2020), 'Subtitling’s cross-cultural expressivity put to the test: A cross-sectional study of linguistic and cultural representation across Romance and Germanic languages' (In Guillot, Pavesi and Desilla Eds Multilingua), 'Audiovisual Translation as Intercultural Mediation', 38(5), 2019), 'Subtitling on the cusp of its futures' (in Pérez-González Ed., The Routledge Handbook of Audiovisual Translation Studies, 2019), 'Subtitling and Dubbing in Telecinematic Text' (in Locher and Jucker Eds) de Gruyter Handbooks of Pragmatics: Pragmatics of Fiction, 2017), 'Communicative rituals and audiovisual translation - representation of otherness in film subtitles' (META, 2016), 'Cross-cultural pragmatics and audiovisual translation' (in Ramos Pinto and Gambier (Eds) Target Special Issue ‘Audiovisual Translation: Theoretical and Methodological Challenges’, 2016), ‘Cross-cultural pragmatics and translation: the case of museum texts as interlingual representation’ (in House Ed. 2014), ‘Stylization and representation in subtitles: can less be more?’ (Perspectives: Studies in Translatology, 2012), ‘Film subtitles and the conundrum of linguistic and cultural representation: a methodological blind spot’ (in Luginbühl and Stefan Eds, 2012), ‘Film subtitles from a cross-cultural pragmatics perspective: issues of linguistic and cultural representation’ (The Translator, 2010).
Marie-Noëlle Guillot was also the initiator and main organiser of the Cross-cultural Pragmatics at a Crossroads conference series at the UEA – ‘Speech Frames and Cultural Perception’ (2006), ‘Linguistic and Cultural Representation across Media’ (2011), ‘Impact: Making a Difference in Intercultural Communication’ (2013) –, and guest-edited the special issues of research journals that arose from each: ‘Cross-cultural Pragmatics – Pragmatique comparée à la croisée des chemins: cadres du discours et perceptions culturelle’. Journal of French Language Studies 20.1: Special Cross-cultural Pragmatics Volume (CUP, 2010), ‘Intercultural Communication at a Theoretical and Methodological Crossroads: Cultural and Media Interfaces’ Special Issue of Language and Intercultural Communication,12 (4), 2012, ‘Border Crossings in Language: Intercultural Encounters at the Crossroads of Disciplines’. Special Issue Multilingua 34(6), 2016.
- Principal Organiser Cross-cultural Pragmatics at a Crossroads conference cycle
- #2022CCP - Speech Frames and Cultural Perceptions
- #2022CCP II - Linguistic and Cultural Representations across Media
- #2022CCP III - Impact: Making a Difference in Intercultural Communication
- Member of the Peer Review Council, Arts and Humanities Research Council 2014-17
- Reviewer Australian Research Council (ARC) - since 2013
- Chair Association for French Language Studies (AFLS) Research Committee (2013-2017)
- Editorial Board Cahiers (AFLS on-line publication)
- Review Board Cahiers de praxématique (Praxilingue CNRS, Université Montpellier-III, France)
- Peer Review Canadian Modern Languages Review, Journal of Pragmatics, Journal of French Language Studies, Language Learning, Legenda, Linguistica Antverpiensi, Meta, Perspectives: Studies in Translatology, Target, The Translator, TTR (Traduction, Terminologie, Redaction)
- Peer Review for publishers (Routledge, Longman, etc.) and research funding bodies (ESRC)
- External Examiner University of Manchester (MA Translation and Interpreting) (2011-15)
- External Examiner University of Bangor (MA Translation Studies) (2011-15)
- External Examiner University of Leicester (MA Translation Studie) (2016-
- External Examiner University of Leeds (MAs Translation Studies) (2017-
- Co-Editor Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice (2020 -
Career: Free-lance translation 1982-94;
Part-time teaching UEA 1982-94;
Part-time Senior Research Associate UEA1992-94;
Lecturer UEA 1995-2008;
Senior Lecturer UEA in French, Linguistics and Translation Studies (1 Aug 2008)
Professor in Intercultural Communication and Translation Studies (1 Aug 2017)
Emeritus Professor Linguistics and Translation Studies (2 Aug 2020)
Key Research Interests and Expertise
My research has two main strands, cross- and interlanguage pragmatics and translation studies, and two distinct domains of application: interactional pragmatics and FL interactional pragmatic development and linguistic and cultural representation through translation, in subtitling/dubbing and museum translation specifically.
Marie-Noelle Guillot has over her career occupied most major posts of responsibility in her School, including Director of Teaching (2004-06), Graduate Studies (2000-11), Research (2008-2011), Year Abroad (2008-11), Chair of Examiners (2012-14), Chair PPL A Athena SWAN/GEM (Gender Equality Charter Mark) 2014-16 and lead on PPL's successful Athena SWAN Bronze Application (2016), Deputy Head of School 2015-16, Postgraduate Study and Course Director LCS MAs up 2016-18.
- Organiser Films in Translation - All is not Lost Public Roundtable British Film Institute London South Bank May 2017
- Organiser Films in Translation - All is not Lost Public Roundtable Cinema City Norwich June 2016
- Principal organiser Let’s talk across languages, cultures and outlooks Public Roundtable, University of East Anglia, Norwich
- Principal organiser CCP III Special Cross-cultural Pragmatics and Professional and Community Translation Panel
French language; language learning; translation, specifically audiovisual translation; cross-cultural pragmatics
Audiovisual translation, translation issues across media, language issues in a global multilingual world, linguistic and cultural representation in audiovisual translation and in museum translation, translation in practice, Advanced level French, Aspects of the French Language.
U/G Subtitling and Dubbing
U/G Translation Work Experience
P/G Translation Issues in a Global Multilingual Context
P/G Translation Work Experience
P/G Research Methods
P/G Dissertation supervision – MA in Global Intercultural Communication
P/G Dissertation supervision – MA in Applied Translation Studies
PGR Research Methods/supervision
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 4 Finished
Guillot, M. & Desilla, L.
1/05/16 → 31/10/17
1/06/13 → 31/07/13
1/06/11 → 31/07/11
Guillot, M. N., 1 Nov 2020, In : Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice. 28, 6, p. 816-821 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Editorial
Guillot, M-N., 1 Nov 2020, In : Perspectives: Studies in Translatology. 28, 6, p. 822-836 15 p., 2.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Special issue
Guillot, M-N., Dec 2020, In : Journal of Pragmatics. 170, p. 317-330 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article1 Citation (Scopus)
Guillot, M-N. (ed.), Pavesi, M. (ed.) & Desilla, L. (ed.), 25 Sep 2019, In : Multilingua. 38, 5, p. 1-624
Research output: Contribution to journal › Special issue2 Citations (Scopus)
Guillot, M-N. & Pavesi, M., 6 Aug 2019, In : Multilingua. 38, 5, 10 p., 1.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile5 Citations (Scopus)21 Downloads (Pure)