Projects per year
I studied Geology and Geography at the University of Exeter, followed by a M.Sc. in Micropalaeontology at University College London, and a Ph.D at the University of East Anglia and the Institute of Oceanographic Sciences. My doctoral research focused on the timing, and rates of evolution and extinction within planktonic foraminiferal faunas that resulted from the marked accentuation of glacial-interglacial climatic variability following the onset of Northern Hemisphere glaciation 2.5 million years. I then moved to the University of Cambridge, where I worked on several postdoctoral research contracts with Nick Shackleton investigating aspects of the Late Quaternary history of North Atlantic ocean circulation over various timescales. In 2000 I was appointed to a position in the School of Environmental Sciences. My principal research interests relate to micropalaeontology and the use of the microfossil record in palaeoceanographic studies of climate change. These issues are generally interdisciplinary in nature, involving aspects of climatology, ecology, micropalaeontology, geochemistry, oceanography, and sedimentology, and involve the examination of processes that range from seasonal to multidecadal to multimillennial.
PhD Studentships Available Quantifying cold extremes in a glacial world
Other PhD Positions
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Palaeoclimatology; palaeoceanography; Quaternary chronology and stratigraphy; micropalaeontology and marine ecology; stable isotopes and trace geochemistry, statistical approaches to reconstruct past environments.
- Ellison, C. R. W., Chapman, M. R. and Hall,I. R., (2006), Surface and deep ocean interactions during the cold climate event 8,200 years ago, Science, 312, 1929 – 1932. doi:10.1126/science.1127213
- Pflaumann, U., M. Sarnthein, M. Chapman, L. d'Abreu, B. Funnell, M. Huels, T. Kiefer, M. Maslin, H. Schulz, J. Swallow, S. van Kreveld, M. Vautravers, E. Vogelsang, and M. Weinelt, (2003), Glacial North Atlantic: Sea-surface conditions reconstructed by GLAMAP 2000, Paleoceanography, 18, 1065-1086.doi:10.1029/2002PA000774
- Shackleton, N. J., Chapman, M., Sanchez-Goni, M. F., Pailler, D. & Lancelot, Y., (2002), The classic Marine Isotope Substage 5e. Quaternary Research 58, 14-16. doi:10.1006/qres.2001.2312
- de Abreu, L., Shackleton, N. J., Schonfeld, J., Hall, M. & Chapman, M., (2003) Millennial-scale oceanic climate variability off the Western Iberian margin during the last two glacial periods. Marine Geology 196, 1-20. doi:10.1016/S0025-3227(03)00046-X
- Marchal, O., Cacho, I, Stocker, T., Grimalt, J.O., Calvo, E., Martrat, B., Shackleton, N.J., Vautravers, M., Cortijo, E., van Kreveld, S., Andersson, C., Koc, N., Chapman, M.R., Sbaffi, L., Duplessy, J.-C., Sarnthein, M., Turon, J.-L., Duprat, J., Jansen, E., (2001), Apparent long term cooling of the sea surface in the Northeast Atlantic and Mediterranean during the Holocene. Quaternary Science Reviews, 21, 455-483.
- Chapman, M.R. and Shackleton, N.J., (2000), Evidence of 550 year and 1000 year cyclicities in North Atlantic circulation patterns during the Holocene. The Holocene, 10, p. 287-292.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- Assessment Co-ordinator (Hons)
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 3 Finished
16/08/10 → 30/11/10
Tracing marine cryptotephras in the North Atlantic during the last glacial period: Improving the North Atlantic marine tephrostratigraphic frameworkAbbott, P. M., Griggs, A. J., Bourne, A. J., Chapman, M. R. & Davies, S. M., 1 Jun 2018, In : Quaternary Science Reviews. 189, p. 169-186 18 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile14 Citations (Scopus)11 Downloads (Pure)
A North Atlantic tephrostratigraphical framework for 130-60 ka b2k: new tephra discoveries, marine based-correlations, and future challengesDavies, S. M., Abbott, P. M., Meara, R. H., Pearce, N. J. G., Chapman, M., Austin, W. E. N., Svensson, A., Bigler, M., Rasmussen, T. L., Rasmussen, S. O. & Farmer, E. J., 15 Dec 2014, In : Quaternary Science Reviews. 106, p. 101-121 20 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen Access46 Citations (Scopus)
Heywood, K. J., Chapman, M. R. & Stevens, D. P., 2012, In : Journal of Geophysical Research. 117, C08018.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleFile66 Citations (Scopus)11 Downloads (Pure)
Chapman, M. R., Andrews, J. E. & Koç, N., Dec 2011, In : Global and Planetary Change. 79, 3-4, p. 214-225 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article9 Citations (Scopus)
Chapman, M. R., McCave, I. N., Hillaire-Marcel, C., Ellison, C. R. W., Hall, I. R. & Telford, R. J., 2011, In : Paleoceanography. 26, 4
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article68 Citations (Scopus)