Projects per year
School Positions: Associate Professor, Deputy Head of Physics, Teaching Director for Physics and Chair of examiners for Physics.
Martin is a chartered physicist and fellow of the Institute of Physics. Following a first degree in physics and chemistry, Martin gained a masters degree in research methods/management and also a PhD at UEA.
Martin joined the School of Chemistry in 2000 as a part-time research fellow and part-time teaching fellow. Alongside these roles Martin carried out consultancy work for other university departments, a government agency, TV companies and publishers.
Martin now works as a full-time Associate Professor and teaches several modules in physics. He also works with the Institute of Physics as a member of their degree accreditation assessor team.
Healthcare Professional Education & Training: How does Pharmacy in Great Britain compare?
Wright, D; Loftus, M; Christou, M; Eggleton, A & Norris, N, 2006
RPSGB, London. ISBN 0-9550029-6-6
Students’ ideas about electromagnetism.
Loftus, M.J, 1996
School Science Review Vol 77(280)
Improving students’ understanding of electromagnetism.
Loftus, M.J, 1998
Proceedings of a seminar on the Science Enhancement Programme, Gatsby ISBN 1-901351-22-X
Students’ understanding of magnetism and electromagnetism.
Loftus, M.J, 1999
Proceedings of a seminar on the Science Enhancement Programme, Gatsby ISBN 1-901351-27-O
- 2009-Present, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK, Senior Lecturer
- 2007-2009, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK, Lecturer & Director, Centre of Physics in Science
- 2000-2007, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK,Teaching Fellow
- 2000-2007, Education Consultant, Norwich, UK.
- 2002-2007, The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK,PGCE Tutor
- 2001-2007,Teacher Training Agency, London, UK, External Assessor
- 1999-2004, Association for Science Education,Hatfield, Herts, UK, Editorial Associate
- 1998-2000, Gatsby Charitable Foundation, London, UK, Science Enhancement Programme (p/t research fellow)
- 1987–2000, Notre Dame High School, Norwich, UK,Head of physics & ITT co-ordinator, Staff governor (1993-1999).
- 1998-1999, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK, Teacher Fellowship (part time)
- 1985–1987,Davenant Foundation School, Essex, UK, Physics teacher
- Chartered Physicist & Fellow of the Institute of Physics
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Martin has carried out research into the use of PBL activities in physics teaching, the future of pharmacy education in the UK and use of online astronomical data for undergraduate projects.
- Various external examiner roles of up to 5 years.
- External Examiner OU Natural Sciences Degree - 2015 to 2018
- External Examiner SMU Applied Physics Degree - 2013 to 2015
- Member of IOP degree accreditation committee - 2010 to 2015
- Member of IOP degree recognition committee - 2010 to 2015
- External Examiner Bedford University PGCE - 2006 to 2009
- 1 Finished
- 1 Book
Loftus, M., Norris, N., Eggleton, A. & Christou, M., 2006, Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, Practice Research Division. 50 p.
Research output: Book/Report › Book