Projects per year
- Senior Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia (Jan 2013 - present)
- Senior Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, Bangor University (Aug 2011 - Dec 2012)
- Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, Bangor University (Sept 2010 - Aug 2011)
- RC-UK Research Fellow in Fisheries Genetics and Conservation, Bangor University, Bangor (Sept 2005 -Sept 2010)
- Group leader/Teaching Fellow, University of East Anglia (March 2004 - Sept 2005)
- Postdoctoral researcher, University of East Anglia (Oct 2000 – March 2004)
- Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Antwerp, Belgium (based at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences, Brussels) (March 2000 - Oct 2000)
- Postdoctoral research assistant, Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences, Brussels, Belgium (March 1999 – March 2000)
- University of Aberdeen / Southampton - PhD research student investigating speciation mechanisms, sexual selection and taxonomy in African cichlid fishes (1993 - 1996)
- University of Leeds, BSc (hons) Animal and Plant Biology – 2i (1990-1993)
My main research interests concern the evolution, ecology and conservation of marine and freshwater fishes. My research has a particular emphasis on using molecular methods to elucidate ecological and evolutionary processes including classical tools such as microsatellite markers and Sanger sequencing, coupled with next-generation sequencing. My evolutionary interests include polyploidy, speciation and mimicry particularly in Neotropical Corydoras catfishes. My more applied interests include fisheries induced evolution using the guppy as a model system, population structure and traceability of marine and freshwater fishes using SNP markers, predator/prey relationships using DNA based methods and conservation genetics of UK freshwater fishes.
Lab website: http://www.uea.ac.uk/~b141/index.html
Key Research Interests
- The origins and implications of polyploidy in Corydoras catfishes
- Traceability of marine fish and fish products
- Population and conservation genetics of freshwater and marine fishes.
- Experimental study of fisheries induced evolution using the guppy as a model system.
Postdocs & Fellows
I am always happy to discuss possibilities for postdoctoral work and collaborations. Possible funding routes include EU Marie Curie fellowships, Brazilian Science without borders opportunities etc.
Associate Editor Marine Biology (2007 - present)
- QH426 Genetics
- Next generation sequencing
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
The role of woodlands in the diversity and resilience of pollinator communities in agricultural landscapes
1/10/21 → 31/03/25
1/01/21 → 31/03/22
1/10/18 → 31/03/22
Transposable element annotation in non‐model species ‐ the benefits of species‐specific repeat libraries using semi‐automated EDTA and DeepTE de novo pipelinesBell, E. A., Butler, C. L., Oliveira, C., Marburger, S., Yant, L. & Taylor, M. I., Feb 2022, In: Molecular Ecology Resources. 22, 2, p. 823-833 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile57 Downloads (Pure)
Ageing European lobsters (Homarus gammarus) using DNA methylation of evolutionarily conserved ribosomal DNA.Fairfield, E., Richardson, D. S., Daniels, C., Butler, C., Bell, E. D. & Taylor, M., Sep 2021, In: Evolutionary Applications. 14, 9, p. 2305-2318 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)23 Downloads (Pure)
Davies, C. S., Taylor, M. I., Hammers, M., Burke, T., Komdeur, J., Dugdale, H. L. & Richardson, D. S., Jun 2021, In: Molecular Ecology. 30, 11, p. 2528-2542 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)12 Downloads (Pure)
Domestication-induced reduction in eye size revealed in multiple common garden experiments: the case of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.)Perry, W. B., Kaufmann, J., Solberg, M. F., Brodie, C., Coral Medina, A. M., Pillay, K., Egerton, A., Harvey, A., Phillips, K. P., Coughlan, J., Egan, F., Grealis, R., Hutton, S., Leseur, F., Ryan, S., Poole, R., Rogan, G., Ryder, E., Schaal, P., Waters, C. & 8 others, , Sep 2021, In: Evolutionary Applications. 14, 9, p. 2319-2332 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)1 Downloads (Pure)
Brown, T. J., Hammers, M., Taylor, M., Dugdale, H. L., Komdeur, J. & Richardson, D. S., Jan 2021, In: Ecology and Evolution. 11, 1, p. 214-226 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Citations (Scopus)8 Downloads (Pure)
Data from: Neutral variation does not predict immunogenetic variation in the European grayling (Thymallus thymallus) - implications for management
Huml, J. V. (Creator), Taylor, M. (Creator), Harris, W. E. (Creator), Senn, R. (Creator) & Ellis, J. S. (Creator), Dryad data repository, 30 Aug 2018
Supplementary material from "Jellyfish on the menu: mtDNA assay reveals scyphozoan predation in the Irish Sea"
Supplementary material from "Whole genome duplication and transposable element proliferation drive genome expansion in Corydoradinae catfishes"
Marburger, S. (Creator), Alexandrou, M. (Creator), Taggart, J. B. (Creator), Creer, S. (Creator), Carvalho, G. (Creator), Oliveira, C. (Creator) & Taylor, M. (Creator), Figshare, 5 Feb 2018