Projects per year
- Human Physiology (BIO-2B05) Module Organiser.
- Since January 2003-2005, I organised weekly seminars for the Cell Sector.
- I was a member of the Quinquennial review committee for the Biological Sciences degree course.
- From August 2006 to July 2011, I was Deputy Director of Teaching and Learning (School of Biological Sciences).
- From 2009-2011, I was Chair of the Assessment Working Group within the School of Biological Sciences.
- From August 2012-present, I am Senior Advisor with the School of Biological Sciences.
- From March 2018-present, I am Co-Director for Equality and Diversity in the School of Biological Sciences.
- Professor of Ophthalmology, University of East Anglia (2018-present)
- Senior Lecturer, University of East Anglia (2008-2018)
- The Humane Research Trust Lecturer, University of East Anglia (2002-2008)
- Senior Research Associate - University of East Anglia (1997-2002)
- PhD - University of East Anglia (1997)
- BSc - Pharmacology, University of Portsmouth (1993)
- Industrial collaborations:Sugen Inc. - Fibroblast growth factor receptor inhibition; Cambridge Antibody Technology (now MedImmune) – Transforming growth factor beta inhibition;Milvella Ltd – Ocular drug delivery;Biologie Servier – Cytotoxicity testing; Anew Optics Inc– IOL development; Calpain Therapeutics – Drug development; Isarna Therapeutics – Drug development; Hoya Surgical Optics - IOL development; Zeiss Meditec - IOL development; SAV IOL - IOL development.
- Review for: Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences; Experimental Eye Research; British Journal of Ophthalmology; American Journal of Pathology; Molecular Vision
- Co-inventor on three international patents. Use of calcium intracellular store inactivators and formulations thereof as cell growth inhibitors (#95 16458.8); Treatment of fibrotic eye disorders US 61/095547; Treatment of fibrotic eye disorders using an MMP2 inhibitor US 61/095554
- 1995 & 1996 AER-Chauvin Prize. Awarded for the best abstract by a presenting author, under 35, at the annual JERMOV meeting. In receiving these awards I became the only person ever to win the prize twice, and in successive years.
- 2008 Elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
- 2009 Honorary Chair of Harbin Medical University
- 2015 National Foundation for Eye Research (NFER) Cataract Research Award
- 2016 Made a Fellow of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
- Editorial Board Member of IOVS
Key Research Interests and Expertise
I am a biomedical scientist with primary interests in the use of human tissue to study human eye disease. In particular, I am interested in wound-healing events that follow cataract surgery, which lead to a secondary visual loss known as posterior capsule opacification (PCO). Through the use of human tissue the laboratory aims to further our understanding of the cell and molecular mechanisms underpinning PCO and identify novel targets for future therapeutic development.
Current Research Projects
- Investigation of TGFß signalling involvement in matrix contraction and cell transdifferentiation
- Gene expression and functional analysis of ocular cells
- Development of human disease models to serve as pre-clinical evaluation tools
- Optimise novel drug delivery mechanisms to prevent PCO
- iPSC-derived lentoid formation
Life in our research group
The laboratory employs human ocular cell and tissue culture models as experimental systems to understand the human condition and develop appropriate therapies. The laboratory is equipped with dedicated state-of-the-art analysis tools that facilitate the research programme. There is a good blend of experienced post-doctoral scientists and enthusiastic students eager to learn. The group has international standing within our area of expertise and laboratory members get the opportunity to present their work across the world at meetings in North America, Asia and Europe. This experience is valuable to the development of individuals and the team as a whole.
Postdocs & Fellows
I am always happy to discuss possibilities for post-doctoral work and collaborations and Fellowship schemes with me acting as a sponsor.
- Foundations for Physiology (BIO-1A58)
- Skills for Biologists (BIO-1A4Y)
- Introduction to Biomedicine (BIO-1A57)
- Cell Biology (BIO-2B06)
- Human Physiology (BIO-2B05)
- Advanced Cell Biology (BIO-3C18)
- Research Project (BIO-3C32)
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/10/21 → 30/09/24
Assessment of intraocular lens/capsular bag biomechanical interactions following cataract surgery in a human in vitro graded culture capsular bag modelWormstone, I. M., Damm, N. B., Kelp, M. & Eldred, J. A., Apr 2021, In : Experimental Eye Research. 205, 108487.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article1 Citation (Scopus)
Cellular FLICE-like inhibitory protein (cFLIP) critically maintains apoptotic resistance in human lens epithelial cellsHuangfu, J., Hao, C., Wei, Z., Wormstone, I. M., Yan, H. & Fan, X., 9 Apr 2021, In : Cell Death & Disease. 12, 4, 386.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
Fluorofenidone inhibits the epithelial-mesenchymal transition in human lens epithelial cell line FHL 124: a promising therapeutic strategy against posterior capsular opacificationWormstone, M., 27 May 2021, In : Arquivos Brasileiros de Oftalmologia. 84, 3, 303.
Research output: Contribution to journal › LetterOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Interactions between polyphenolic antioxidants quercetin and naringenin dictate the distinctive redox-related chemical and biological behaviour of their mixturesBaranowska, M., Koziara, Z., Suliborska, K., Chrzanowski, W., Wormstone, M., Namieśnik, J. & Bartoszek, A., 10 Jun 2021, In : Scientific Reports. 11, 1, 12282 .
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Wormstone, I. M., Wormstone, Y. M., Smith, A. J. O. & Eldred, J. A., May 2021, In : Progress in Retinal and Eye Research. 82, 100905.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile11 Citations (Scopus)