Projects per year
Morten Hviid is a professor of law specialising in competition law, contract law, tort law and the economics approach to law. He joined UEA Law School in September 2004. Prior to joining the Law School he held posts in the Economics Departments at University of Copenhagen and University of Warwick and in the School of Economic and Social Studies, University of East Anglia.
Morten is a founding member of the Centre for Competition Policy and was from August 2011 to December 2018 its Director.
Morten holds an MA and a PhD in Economics from University of Warwick as well as an economic degree from University of Aarhus, Denmark. He has been a visiting Scholar at Yale University, University of California Berkeley, University of Michigan and University of Copenhagen.
Morten is a former editor of the Journal of Industrial Economics and associate editor of the International Journal of Industrial Organization. He is also a former member of the Executive Committee of the European Association for Research in Industrial Economics (EARIE). He is currently a member of the Advisory Board of the Centre for Business Research, Cambridge University, the Registered Experts Advisory Group of the UK Intellectual Property Office and the UK energy regulator Ofgem’s academic panel.
Morten has contributed both CCP’s blog and various newsletters aimed as a broader readership.
- Does Every Little Supermarket Price Guarantee Help? November 22, 2013
- Do Pub Tenants need a Special Regulator to Adjudicate Contracts with Pub Owners? January 15, 2013
- Cardiff Bus: Exemplary Damages in Follow-on Cases, July 23, 2012.
- Supermarket Price Guarantees - and then there were three, 14 October 2011
- Who should pay for competition law enforcement? 23 May 2011.
- What signal is Tesco giving by withdrawing ‘double the difference’?, April 29, 2011Why Private Enforcement should be Reformed alongside Public Enforcement, 3 May 2011.
- The End to Competition Between Major UK Supermarkets?, 14 May 2010
- What's so wrong with Retail Price MFNs? Amelia Fletcher and Morten Hviid CCP Bulletin 26, November 2013
- Healthy choice?, ESRC Magazine: Britain in 2014, September 2013
- Private enforcement of predation cases, CCP Bulletin 23, November 2012
- Demand for Healthcare, CCP Bulletin 22, May 2012
- Procurement by dominant buyers, CCP newsletter 21, May 2011
- Competition and Fairness: Non-discrimination clauses in the retail energy sector (with Catherine Waddams Price), CCP newsletter 19, May 2010.
- Who benefits from price guarantees, ESRC Magazine: Britain in 2010, p. 81.
- Promises, promises, CCP newsletter 18, November 2009.
- Too good to be true, CCP newsletter 16, February 2008
- Helping those that help themselves? The benefits of active customers, (with Luke Garrod), Agenda, Oxera, August 2008
- The Benefits of Active Consumers (with Luke Garrod), CCP newsletter 15, November 2008
- The Aims of Private Enforcement of Competition Law, CCP newsletter 11, November 2006
- Money off for bad behaviour, (with Andreas Stephan), CCP newsletter 9, November 2005
- The Ryanair State Aid Case, CCP newsletter 6, May 2004
- Watching Pricewatch, CCP newsletter 3, September 2002
- Private Enforcement of Competition Law, CCP Newsletter 2, Winter 2001/2002.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
My past and current research falls in the areas of competition law, industrial economics, tort law and contract law. I take an economics approach to legal research and in particular make use of game theory to analyse strategic situations where relevant actors are aware of their effects on each other. My research has been published in economics journals, law journals and law & economics journals such as the Economic Journal, European Competition Journal, European Law Review, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Journal of Economic History, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of Law and Economics, Oxford Journal of Legal Studies and World Competition.
My current research is focused on:
- Policy arguments used in tort cases;
- The design of non-compensatory damages in contract law;
- Practices which facilitate collusive behaviour;
- The effects of digitalisation and in particular intermediaries in creative industries;
- Modelling the care home market.
My research has been or are being funded by the Danish Social Science Research Council, the Economic and Social Research Council, The Arts and Humanities Research Council, The Office of Fair Trading, The Legal Services Board, Ofcom, Ofgem, Anglian Water and OECD.
Morten has acted as an advisor to the Office of Fair Trading, the Department of Constitutional Affairs (now Ministry of Justice) and the UK telecoms regulator, Ofcom.
As a member of the Centre for Competition Policy, he has responded to numerous public consultations listed below. Details can be downloaded from CCP's website at http://competitionpolicy.ac.uk/publications.
- Mike Brock, David Deller, Morten Hviid & Liang Lu response to Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Measures to reduce personal water use, October 2019
- Mike Brock, David Deller, Morten Hviid, Tim Tutton & Catherine Waddams Price response to BEIS & Ofgem: Flexible and Responsive Energy Retail Markets, September 2019
- Hviid M & Waddams C response to Financial Conduct Authority: Fair Pricing in Financial Services (Part 2: Defining Price Discrimniation and Informational Requirements for Enforcement), January 2019
- Deller D, Hviid M & Waddams C response to Competition and Markets Authority: 'Loyalty penalty' super-complaint, October 2018
- Deller D, Harker M, Hviid M, Lam W, Mc Cullagh K, Ormosi P, Peyer S, Reader D, Waddams C response to BEIS: Modernising Consumer Markets - Green Paper,A, July 2018
- Lu L, Deller D & Hviid M responded to Thames Water: Consultation on Water Resources Management Plan 2019, April 2018
- David Deller, Elizabeth Errington, Amelia Fletcher, Morten Hviid, David Reader & Catherine Waddams response to BEIS Committee: Pre-legislative scrutiny of the draft Domestic Gas and Electricity (Tariff Cap) Bill inquiry, December 2017
- David Deller, Morten Hviid & Catherine Waddams response to Ofcom: Helping consumers to engage in communications markets - Call for inputs, August 2017
- David Deller, Elizabeth Errington, Morten Hviid & Catherine Waddams response to House of Lords Select Committee on Economic Affairs: The Economics of UK Energy Policy, September 2016
- David Deller and Morten Hviid response to Ofwat: Costs and benefits of introducing competition to residential customers in England - emerging findings, August 2016.
- Morten Hviid response to Ofcom: Automatic Compensation - call for inputs, July 2016
- Morten Hviid, Bruce Lyons, Sebastian Peyer and Andreas Stephan response to Department for Business Innovation & Skills: Options to Refine the UK Competition Regime – A Consultation, June 2016
- David Deller, Morten Hviid and Catherine Waddams response to Competition and Markets Authority: Energy market investigation – Provisional decision on remedies, April 2016
- David Deller and Morten Hviid response to Ofwat: Review of retail household markets in the water and wastewater sector – Call for evidence, February 2016
- Catherine Waddams, Morten Hviid and David Deller response to Department for Business, Innovation and Skills: Switching Principles - Call for Evidence, December 2015
- Catherine Waddams, Morten Hviid and David Deller response to CMA Energy Market Investigation - Notice of Possible Remedies, August 2015
- David Deller, Morten Hviid and Catherine Waddams response to the House of Commons Energy and Climate Change Committee 'Energy Price Comparison Websites Inquiry', January 2015
- David Deller, Morten Hviid and Catherine Waddams response to Ofgem 'Treatment of white label providers in the domestic retail market'. November 2014
- David Deller and Morten Hviid response to Prudential Regulation Authority/Financial Conduct Authority 'Strengthening the alignment of risk and reward - new remuneration rules'. October 2014
- Michael Harker, Morten Hviid, Antje Kreutzmann-Gallasch and Catherine Waddams response to BIS Select Committee 'Competition for UK postal sector and the universal service obligation', October 2014.
- Morten Hviid, Franco Marriuzzo and Catherine Waddams response to HM Treasury 'Minimum Excise Tax', October 2014.
- David Deller, Morten Hviid and Antje Kreutzmann-Gallasch response to Ofcom 'Comsumer Switchin - Next Stepts and Call for Inputs', October 2014.
- David Deller, Morten Hviid, Catherine Waddams and Minyan Zhu response to CMA 'Energy Market Investigation - Statement of Issues', August 2014.
- Morten Hviid, Despoina Mantzari and Catherine Waddams response to Ofgem, 'Consultation on a proposal to make a market investigation reference in respect of the supply and acquisition of energy in Great Britain', May 2014.
- David Deller, Morten Hviid, Joo Young Jeon, Despoina Mantzari, Catherine Waddams and Minyan Zhu response to Ofgem, 'Protecting Consumers in collective switching schemes', April 2014.
- Morten Hviid, Bruce Lyons and Andreas Stephan response to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) consultation document: "Vision, values and strategy for the CMA," November 2013
- Morten Hviid, Bruce Lyons, Andreas Stephan and Catherine Waddams response to Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, "Streamlining Regulatory and Competition Appeals: Consultation on Options for Reform. September 2013
- Morten Hviid and Sebastian Peyer response to Government's Draft Consumer Rights Bill, August 2013
- Farasat Bokhari, Charlotte Davies, Steve Davies, Sven Gallasch, Mary Guy, Rob Heywood and Morten Hviid response to Monitor consultations, June 2013
- Morten Hviid response to Department of Business, Innovation & Skills: Pub companies and tenants: a government consultation, April 2013
- Morten Hviid and Catherine Waddams response to Department for Business, Innovation and Skills - BIS consultation on extending the range of remedies available to public enforcers of consumer law. January 2013.
- Morten Hviid and Pinar Akman response to the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills document "Consultation on the early implementation of a ban on above cost payment surcharges", October 2012
- Response to BIS consultation on ‘Private actions in competition law: A consultation on Options for Reform’ (with Bruce Lyons, Sebastian Peyer and Duncan Sheehan), July 2012.
- Response to Ofcom consultation 'Consumer Switching - A consultation on proposals to change the process for switching fixed voice and broadband providers on the openreach copper network (with Daithi Mac Sithigh), May 2012.
- Response to Ofgem consultation 'The Undue Discrimination Prohibition' (with Catherine Waddams), April 2012.
- Response to Ofgem consultation 'The Retail Market Review: Domestic Proposals' (with Graham Loomes and Catherine Waddams), February 2012
- Response to OFT consultation on 'Leniency and Penalties' (with Anna Rita Bennato, Bruce Lyons, Peter Ormosi, Sebastian Peyer, Andreas Stephan, Scott Summers and Frederick Wandschneider), December 2011.
- Written Evidence Submitted to the Health Select Committee Social Care inquiry (with Ruth Hancock, Marcello Morciano, Adelina Comas-Herrera, Derek King, Juliette Malley, Linda Pickard, Raphael Wittenberg), October 2011.
- Response to BIS consultation "A Competition Regime for Growth: A Consultation on Options for Reform" (with Pinar Akman, Bruce Lyons, Andreas Stephan and Catherine Waddams), September 2011
- Response to Ofgem consultation 'The Retail Market Review - Findings and Initial Proposals (RMR), June 2011, (with Catherine Ball, Graham Loomes and Catherine Waddams)
- Response to EC consultation 'Towards a Coherent European Approach to Collective Redress' (with Sebastian Peyer), April 2011.
- Responses to Responses to ‘Objections to the Hong Kong Competition Bill’ (with Andreas Stephan and Catherine Waddams), February 2011.
- Response to MoJ consultation ‘Controlling costs in defamation proceedings CP4/09’ (with Alastair Mullis), April 2009.
- Response to EC White Paper on Damages actions for breach of the EC antitrust rules, July 2008
- 3rd year LLB module: "The Economic Approach to Law"
- LLM option: "Theory of Competition Markets".
Past teaching and supervision
- He has in the past been involved in the delivery of a number of modules. On the undergraduate programme: Tort and UK Competition Law. On the taught masters programme: Law Policy & Economics of Competition, Regulation of Network Industries in the UK And EU, Current Issues in National Competition Regimes, Advanced Competition Law, as well as a seminar on Research & Writing for dissertation.
- He has taught a short course on “Game theory for non-economists” to postgraduate research students in 2005, 2011 and 2015 and a short course on “The economics approach to law” to postgraduate research students in 2014 and 2016.
- He has supervised more than 30 doctoral students and is willing to supervise in all areas of competition law, with a particularly interest in private enforcement of competition law.
- In addition to teaching on university degree programmes, he has also taught short practitioners oriented bespoke courses in procurement and in competition law and economics.
EU and UK Competition Law and Competition Policy; legal and economic analysis of cartels and collusion; Economic analysis of Tort; Economic analysis of contract law.
Areas Of Expertise
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Devlopment Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 11 Finished
1/11/16 → 31/10/18
1/06/16 → 30/11/16
1/06/15 → 30/09/15
Market concentration, supply, quality and prices paid by local authorities in the English care home marketEspuny Pujol, F., Hancock, R., Hviid, M., Morciano, M. & Pudney, S., Aug 2021, In: Health Economics. 30, 8, p. 1886-1909 24 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
Deutscher, E., Ennis, S. & Hviid, M., Jul 2021, Centre for Competition Policy.
Research output: Other contribution
Response to Financial Conduct Authority: General insurance pricing practices market study – Consultation on Handbook changesCalef, A., Deller, D., Hviid, M. & Lyons, B., 18 Dec 2020, 6 p.
Research output: Other contribution
Hviid, M., 1 Sep 2020, In: Antitrust Bulletin. 65, 3, p. 340-360 21 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile11 Downloads (Pure)
Hviid, M., Izquierdo-Sanchez, S. & Jacques, S., Oct 2019, In: International Journal of the Economics of Business. 26, 3, p. 355-381 27 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)60 Downloads (Pure)