Projects per year
My research addresses wellbeing and environmental justice among rural populations, particularly Indigenous Peoples and local communities in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia and South America. I use mixed-method approaches to explore many aspects of rural life, though currently focus on the interlinked themes of biodiversity conservation, agriculture and climate change.
I am a member of The Global Environmental Justice Group, an interdisciplinary group of scholars interested in the linkages between social justice and environmental change, a Steering Committee member for the IUCN Commission on Environmental, Economic and Social Policy (CEESP), for which I chair a Theme on Human Wellbeing and Sustainable Livelihoods, and also a postdoc at the European School of Political and Social Sciences (ESPOL) in Lille, France.
Advancing equity in Brazilian protected areas (University of Aberdeen)
Empirical studies of poverty and environment: implications for pursuing interrelated SDG targets (part-time fellowship funded by the School of International Development)
Selected media and outreach
I completed my PhD at UEA in October 2013, exploring changes in the wellbeing of rural populations living alongside tropical rainforests in the mountains of western Rwanda (download thesis here). Before that my career spanned quite different, though now handily complementary disciplines, including several years each as an ecologist (specialising for some time in seabirds), nature reserve warden and even economist and chartered accountant. The transition was driven by projects that took me to areas where natural resource management was intimately connected with local livelihoods: looking at fisheries in Alaska, wetland management in Belarus and in 2010 helping to monitor the Redirect PES project in Rwanda.
Mobile: 0044 7960 545 370
Other Publications (relating to prior research on marine ecology)
- Dawson N.M., Bishop M.A., Kuletz K.J. and Zuur A.F. 2015. Using ships of opportunity to assess winter habitat associations of seabirds in subarctic Alaska,
- Zuur A.F., Dawson N.M., Bishop M.A., Kuletz K.J. 2013. Zero inflated Common Murre density data. In: Zuur A.F., Saveliev A.A., Ieno E.N. (eds) Analysing Ecological Data - Practical Solutions When Things Get Complicated.
- Dawson, N.M., MacLeod C.D., Smith, M. and Ratcliffe, N. 2011. Interactions with Great Skuas Stercorarius skua as a factor in the long-term decline of an Arctic Skua Stercorarius parasiticus population, Ibis, 153:143-153.
- Dawson N., Wilson L.J., Dean B.J., Webb A. and Reid J.B. 2009. The numbers of inshore waterbirds using Scapa Flow during the non-breeding season, and an assessment of the area’s potential for qualification as a marine SPA, JNCC Report, No. 407, Peterborough.
- Dawson, N., Söhle, I., Wilson, L.J., Dean, B.J., Webb, A. and Reid, J.B. 2008. The numbers of inshore waterbirds using the Firth of Forth during the non-breeding season, and an assessment of the area's potential for qualification as a marine SPA. JNCC Report No. 402, Peterborough.
- Söhle, I., Dawson N., Wilson L.J., Dean B.J., Webb A. and Reid J.B. 2009. The numbers of inshore waterbirds using the waters around Mull, Coll and Tiree during the non-breeding season, and an assessment of the area’s potential for qualification as a marine SPA, JNCC Report No. 416, Peterborough.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- 7 Finished
1/03/17 → 28/02/18
Land-use intensification in forest-agriculture frontier landscapes: effects on ecosystem services and poverty alleviation (ESPA-Frontiers)
1/12/16 → 31/12/17
Pinto, R. & Dawson, N., 15 Sep 2023, London, UK: International Institute for Environment and Development (IIE). 4 p. (Briefing)
Research output: Book/Report › Other reportOpen Access
Journeys to more equitable and effective conservation: the central role of Indigenous peoples and local communitiesDawson, N., Bhardwaj, A., Coolsaet, B., Scherl, L. M., Massarella, K., Ndoinyo, Y., Oliva, M., Suich, H. & Worsdell, T., 22 Aug 2023, 23 ed. Gland, Switzerland: IUCN. 152 p. (Policy Matters)
Research output: Book/Report › BookOpen Access
Orlove, B., Sherpa, P., Dawson, N., Adelekan, I., Alangui, W., Carmona, R., Coen, D., Nelson, M. K., Reyes-García, V., Rubis, J., Sanago, G. & Wilson, A., Sep 2023, In: AMBIO. 52, 9, p. 1431–1447 17 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)12 Downloads (Pure)
Suich, H. & Dawson, N., 30 Mar 2023, Gland, Switzerland: IUCN. 37 p.
Research output: Book/Report › Other reportOpen AccessFile
Towards more equitable and effective nature conservation led by Indigenous peoples and local communitiesDawson, N., Bhardwaj, A., Coolsaet, B., Scherl, L. M., Massarella, K., Ndoinyo, Y., Oliva, M., Suich, H. & Worsdell, T., 22 Aug 2023, In: Policy Matters. 23, p. 1-16 16 p., 1.
Research output: Contribution to journal › EditorialOpen Access