Projects per year
I lead a team undertaking biodiversity conservation research in human-modified landscapes to inform conservation strategies with evidence. Research design and dissemination are collaborative, working with conservation agencies, ngo's, and land managers.
Our innovative Biodiversity Audit Approach quantifies regional biodiversity across multiple taxa (plants, invertebrates, vertebrates) to objectively define priorities, and crucially then analyses their ecological requirements to generate cross-taxa 'management guilds', supporting integrated conservation delivery at landscape scales. Evidence has supported coherent management by farm clusters, a 280 km open-habitat invertebrate ‘super-highway’ network, spatially targetted implementaiton of agri-environmental measures, and one of the largest multi-taxa biodiversity management experiments in Europe. Iternational work assesses consequences of changing human land-use for threatened species, particularly in central and SE Asia.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Evidence-based conservation, population processes, captive breeding and population reinforcement, conservation in anthropogenic landscapes.
EU INTERREG BID-REX: From Biodiversity data to Decisions: enhancing natural value through improved regional development policies.
BID-REX is funded by the EU INTERREG V Programme
- Hawkes, R.W., Smart, J., Brown, A., Jones, H., Lane, S.A., Lucas, C., McGill, J., Owens, N., Ratier-Backes, A., Webb, J.R., Wells, D., Dolman, P.M. (2020) Experimental evidence that novel land management interventions inspired by history enhance biodiversity. Journal of Applied Ecology. https://doi.org/10.1111/1365-2664.13827
- Pedley, S.M., Dolman, P.M. (2020) Arthropod traits and assemblages differ between core patches, transient stepping-stones and landscape corridors. Landscape Ecology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10980-020-00991-0
- Warren-Thomas, E., Edwards, D.P., Bebber, D.P., Chhang, P., Diment, A.N., Evans, T.D., Lambrick, F.H., late Maxwell, J.F., Menghor, N., O’Kelly, H.J., Theilade, I., Dolman, P.M. (2018) Protecting tropical forests from the rapid expansion of rubber using carbon payments. Nature Communications 9, 911. doi:10.1038/s41467-018-03287-9
- Fuller, R.J., Williamson, T., Barnes, G., Dolman, P.M. (2017) Human activites and biodiversity opportunities in pre-industrial cultural landscapes: relevance to conservation. Journal of Applied Ecology, 54, 459-469.https://doi.org/10.1111/1365-2664.12762
- Dolman, P.M., Collar, N.J., Scotland, K.M., Burnside, R.J. (2015) Ark or park: the need to predict relative effectiveness of ex situ and in situ conservation before attempting captive breeding. Journal of Applied Ecology doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.12449
- Eleanor Warren-Thomas, E., Dolman, P.M., Edwards, D.P. (2015) Increasing demand for natural rubber necessitates a robust sustainability initiative to mitigate impacts on tropical biodiversity. Conservation Letters doi:10.1111/conl.12170
- Yinqiu Ji, Ashton, L., Pedley, S.M., Edwards, D.P. Yong Tang, Nakamura, A., Kitching, R., Dolman, P.M., Woodcock, P., Edwards, F.A., Larsen, T.H., Hsu, W.W., Benedick, S., Hamer, K.C., Wilcove, D.S., Bruce, C., Xiaoyang Wang, Levi, T., Lott, M., Emerson, B.C., Yu, D.W. (2013) Reliable, verifiable and efficient monitoring of biodiversity via metabarcoding. Ecology Letters, 16, 1245–1257. doi: 10.1111/ele.12162
- Dolman, P.M., Panter, C.J., Mossman, H.L. (2012) The biodiversity audit approach challenges regional priorities and identifies a mismatch in conservation. Journal of Applied Ecology 49, 986–997. doi/10.1111/j.1365-2664.2012.02174.x
- Wright, H.L., Lake, I.R., Dolman, P.M. (2012). Agriculture - a key element for conservation in the developing world. Conservation Letters 5, 11-19. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-263X.2011.00208.x
- Sutherland, W.J., Pullin, A.S., Dolman, P.M., Knight, T.M. (2004). The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19, 305-308. doi: 10.1016/j.tree.2004.03.018
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- Natural England Scientific Advisory Committee member
- IUCN Bustard Specialist Group member
I contribute to two interdisciplinary conservation modules: UG Biodiversity Conservation & Human Society and MSc Evidence-based Global Conservation, and an MSc Ecological Survey Methods module based in the School of Biological Sciences, and supervise AEC (Applied Ecology and Conservation) and IMAE MSc student dissertation research
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/07/20 → 31/05/21
Burnside, J., Salliss, D., Collar (Birdlife International), N. & Dolman, P., 13 Jul 2021, In : Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS). 118, 28, e2026378118.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Downloads (Pure)
Dolman, P., Burnside, J., Scotland, K. & Collar, N., 10 Aug 2021, (Accepted/In press) In : Endangered Species Research.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article1 Downloads (Pure)
Hawkes, R., Smart, J., Brown, A., Green, R. E., Jones, H. & Dolman, P., 26 Feb 2021, In : Animal Conservation.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile16 Downloads (Pure)
Experimental evidence that novel land management interventions inspired by history enhance biodiversityHawkes, R. W., Smart, J., Brown, A., Jones, H., Lane, S. A., Lucas, C., McGill, J., Owens, N., Ratier Backes, A., Webb, J. R., Wells, D. & Dolman, P. M., May 2021, In : Journal of Applied Ecology. 58, 5, p. 905-918 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)20 Downloads (Pure)
Fruit trees and herbaceous plants increase functional and phylogenetic diversity of birds in smallholder rubber plantationsJayathilake, H. M., Warren-Thomas, E., Nelson, L., Dolman, P., Bumrungsri, S., Watinee, J., Carrasco, L. R. & Edwards, D. P., May 2021, In : Biological Conservation. 257, 109140.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article