Projects per year
Key Research Interests and Expertise
The epidemiology of emerging infectious disease especially that linked to environmental factors. Most interest in spread of infection by drinking water, but also recreational water contact and food. Interest in zoonotic diseases. Conducting case-control and other epidemiological studies in the UK, Europe and the developing world. Interest in risk assessment and risk communication
- Honorary Consultant Medical Microbiologist Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital 2002 to 2016
Research Group or Lab Membership
Infection and Immunity
Areas of Expertise
- Graduated MB ChB from Manchester University in 1997
- Diploma in bacteriology from Manchester University in 1983
- MD from Manchester University in 1990
- MBA from Open University in 1996
- Member Royal College Pathologists 1985 (Fellowship in 1995)
- Member Faculty of Public Health Medicine (Fellow 2005)
Fellow Institute of Biology 1994
- Registrar Medical Microbiology Manchester Public Health Laboratory 1980-1983
- Senior Registrar Medical Microbiology Cardiff Public Health Laboratory 1983-1986
- Senior Registrar Medical Microbiology Central Public Health Laboratory, London 1986-1988
- Director and Consultant Medical Microbiologist Chester Public Health Laboratory 1988-2001
- Consultant in Communicable Disease Control Cheshire Health Authority 1989-2001
- Editor in Chief of Journal of Water and Health
- Chair of Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development/World Health Organization expert group on “Approaches to establishing links between drinking water and infectious disease” 1999
- Chair of Board of Directors of Institute for Public Health and Water Research, Chicago. 2004 to 2010
- Chair of Scientific Advisory Committee - Suez Environment, Paris 2004 to 2010
Primary interest in teaching medical students that infectious diseases remain a major cause of morbidity and mortality even in developed societies, but especially in developing countries. Also getting across the message that research is fun, especially research into infectious disease in general and diarrhoea in particular.
· Teaching to MB BS medical degree and MSc students
· Lead Respiratory Unit course team 2002 – 2005
· Lectures and seminars on environment and health, microbiology and infectious diseases
· Member of Elective module team
- Coordinator of the EU FP7 AQUAVALENS a 9million Euro project "Protecting the health of Europeans by improving methods for the detection of pathogens in drinking water and water used in food preparation"
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Master of Business Administration, Open University
Award Date: 1 Jan 1996
Doctor of Medicine, University of Manchester
Award Date: 1 Jan 1990
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Manchester
Award Date: 1 Jan 1979
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Exploring the lived experience in care homes of infection risk and transmission during the COVID-19 pandemic: a mixed-methods study to inform what we can learn for future infectious disease outbreaks (Understanding Care Home Infection Experiences - UCAIRE)
1/06/21 → 31/05/22
To develop methods to measure effectiveness of face shields for local production and adoption in low resource settings and generate data to inform the development of optimal face shield designs by identifying the characteristics that afford
27/11/20 → 18/06/21
A mixed methods study on effectiveness and appropriateness of face shield use as COVID-19 PPE in middle income countriesBrainard, J., Hall, S., Vanderes, M., Sekoni, A., Price, A., Padoveze, M. C., Ogunsola, F. T., Izumi Nchiata, L. Y., Hornsey, E., Crook, B., Cirino, F., Chu, L. & Hunter, P., 24 Jan 2022, (Accepted/In press) In: American Journal of Infection Control.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Testing for SARS-CoV-2 infection in care home residents and staff in English care homes: A service evaluationBrainard, J., Aldus, C., Smith, E., Dunham, S., Hunter, P., Steel, N. & Everden, P., 18 Mar 2022, (Accepted/In press) In: Journal of Long-Term Care.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Rubin, G. J., Brainard, J., Hunter, P. & Michie, S., 18 Mar 2021, In: British Medical Journal (BMJ). 1 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Comment/debateOpen Access
Efficacy of halofuginone products to prevent or treat cryptosporidiosis in bovine calves: A systematic review and meta-analysesBrainard, J., Hammer, C. C., Hunter, P. R., Katzer, F., Hurle, G. & Tyler, K., Apr 2021, In: Parasitology. 148, 4, p. 408-409 2 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)18 Downloads (Pure)
Estimating the effectiveness of the Pfizer COVID-19 BNT162b2 vaccine after a single dose. A reanalysis of a study of ‘real-world’ vaccination outcomes from IsraelHunter, P. R. & Brainard, J., 3 Feb 2021, medRxiv.
Research output: Working paper › PreprintOpen Access