Projects per year
I was born in Australia, but went to university in Auckland, New Zealand where I did a PhD on the aqueous chemistry of sulphur dioxide in the atmosphere. I am a Professor in Atmospheric Chemistry and was appointed senior editor of Atmospheric Environment in 1990. I am convinced that environmental pollution is not merely a matter of environmental chemistry. The smells have to be smelt. Painting and poetry can be as informative as a scientific description when trying to understand the complexities of environmental problems. I admire detective writers; no crap and their hearts are in the right place. The title of my book The Big Smoke was meant remind us of Philip Marlowe in The Big Sleep, so I was pleased when this academic book was reviewed as "reading like a thriller". Recently I have been thinking much about the representation air pollution in cinema in flims such as Blade Runner.
Key Research Interests
- Brimblecombe, P. (2005) The Globalization of Local Air Pollution, Globalizations 2, 429-441. doi: 10.1080/14747730500368114
- P. Brimblecombe and C. Grossi (2005) Aesthetic thresholds and blackening of stone buildings, Science of the Total Environment 349, 175-189 doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2005.01.009
- M.T. Latif and P. Brimblecombe (2004) Surfactants in atmospheric aerosols Environmental Science and Technology, 38, 6501-6506. DOI: 10.1021/es049109n
- Lifongo, L. L., Bowden, D. and Brimblecombe, P. (2004) Photodegradation of haloacetic acids in water,Chemosphere, 55, 467-476. doi:10.1016/j.chemosphere.2003.11.006
- C. Grossi and P. Brimblecombe (2004) Aesthetics of simulated soiling patterns on architecture,Environmental Science and Technology, 38, 3971-3976. doi:10.1021/es0353762
- Clegg SL Seinfeld JH. Brimblecombe P (2001) Thermodynamic modelling of aqueous aerosols containing electrolytes and dissolved organic compounds, Aerosol Science 32, 713-738.doi:10.1016/S0021-8502(00)00105-1
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
Areas of Expertise
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- 14 Finished
Integrated assessment of the emission-health-socioeconomics nexus in Chinese megacities (INHANCE)
Guan, D., Brimblecombe, P., Dorling, S. & Reid, B.
Natural Environment Research Council
1/01/16 → 31/12/19
Scientific Uncertainty and Acid Rain Politics in the 1980's
29/01/13 → 14/01/15
"Collection Demography" On Dynamic Evolution of Populations of Objects
Brimblecombe, P., Bell (National Archives), N., Strlic (UCL), M., Taylor (UCL), J. & Xue (UCL), J.
Arts and Humanities Research Council
1/06/10 → 31/05/13
Future Access Pilot Study
22/01/10 → 30/04/10
Academic Work in Latvia
Institute of Atomic Physics and Spectroscopy (University of Latvia)
1/08/08 → 31/08/08
Street protests and air pollution in Hong KongBrimblecombe, P., May 2020, In: Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 192, 5, 295.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile9 Citations (Scopus)4 Downloads (Pure)
Regulatory effects on particulate pollution in the early hours of Chinese New Year, 2015Lai, Y. & Brimblecombe, P., Sep 2017, In: Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 189, 9, 467.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access29 Citations (Scopus)
Anthropogenic contributions to global carbonyl sulfide, carbon disulfide and organosulfides fluxesLee, C-L. & Brimblecombe, P., Sep 2016, In: Earth-Science Reviews. 160, p. 1-18 18 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile46 Citations (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Mobilisation of trace elements on roofing tilesSulaiman, F. R., Brimblecombe, P. & Grossi, C., 1 Apr 2016, In: Indoor and Built Environment. 25, 2, p. 329-339 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review6 Citations (Scopus)
Damage function for historic paper. Part I: Fitness for useStrlic, M., Grossi Sampedro, C., Dillon, C., Bell, N., Fouseki, K., Brimblecombe, P., Menart, E., Ntanos, K., Lindsay, W., Thickett, D., France, F. & De Bruin, G., 27 Oct 2015, In: Heritage Science. 3, 1
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile20 Citations (Scopus)4 Downloads (Pure)