Projects per year
I was born in Australia, but went to university in Auckland, New Zealand where I did a PhD on the aqueous chemistry of sulphur dioxide in the atmosphere. I am a Professor in Atmospheric Chemistry and was appointed senior editor of Atmospheric Environment in 1990. I am convinced that environmental pollution is not merely a matter of environmental chemistry. The smells have to be smelt. Painting and poetry can be as informative as a scientific description when trying to understand the complexities of environmental problems. I admire detective writers; no crap and their hearts are in the right place. The title of my book The Big Smoke was meant remind us of Philip Marlowe in The Big Sleep, so I was pleased when this academic book was reviewed as "reading like a thriller". Recently I have been thinking much about the representation air pollution in cinema in flims such as Blade Runner.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
- Brimblecombe, P. (2005) The Globalization of Local Air Pollution, Globalizations 2, 429-441. doi: 10.1080/14747730500368114
- P. Brimblecombe and C. Grossi (2005) Aesthetic thresholds and blackening of stone buildings, Science of the Total Environment 349, 175-189 doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2005.01.009
- M.T. Latif and P. Brimblecombe (2004) Surfactants in atmospheric aerosols Environmental Science and Technology, 38, 6501-6506. DOI: 10.1021/es049109n
- Lifongo, L. L., Bowden, D. and Brimblecombe, P. (2004) Photodegradation of haloacetic acids in water,Chemosphere, 55, 467-476. doi:10.1016/j.chemosphere.2003.11.006
- C. Grossi and P. Brimblecombe (2004) Aesthetics of simulated soiling patterns on architecture,Environmental Science and Technology, 38, 3971-3976. doi:10.1021/es0353762
- Clegg SL Seinfeld JH. Brimblecombe P (2001) Thermodynamic modelling of aqueous aerosols containing electrolytes and dissolved organic compounds, Aerosol Science 32, 713-738.doi:10.1016/S0021-8502(00)00105-1
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
Areas Of Expertise
- 14 Finished
1/01/16 → 31/12/19
29/01/13 → 14/01/15
Brimblecombe, P., Bell (National Archives), N., Strlic (UCL), M., Taylor (UCL), J. & Xue (UCL), J.
1/06/10 → 31/05/13
Brimblecombe, P., May 2020, In : Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 192, 5, 295.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile6 Citations (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Brimblecombe, P., Sep 2017, In : Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 189, 9, 467.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen Access19 Citations (Scopus)
Brimblecombe, P., Sep 2016, In : Earth-Science Reviews. 160, p. 1-18 18 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile26 Citations (Scopus)7 Downloads (Pure)
6 Citations (Scopus)
Grossi Sampedro, C., Dillon, C., Bell, N., Fouseki, K., Brimblecombe, P., Menart, E., Ntanos, K., Lindsay, W., Thickett, D., France, F. & De Bruin, G., 27 Oct 2015, In : Heritage Science. 3, 1
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile17 Citations (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)