Projects per year
MBBS: Institute of Medicine (I), Yangon (1995)
MRCP: (UK) Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (1999)
MD: University of East Anglia (2007)
FRCPE: Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (2010)
- Member of National Age & Ageing CLRN Group
- Associate Editor (BMC Health Services Research)
- Editorial Board Member (Open Heart Failure Journal)
- Topic Expert Group Member (NICE)- COPD (2010-11)
- Guideline Development Group Member- COPD Guidelines Update 2008 National Institute for Health & Clinical Excellence
- Steering Committee Member- National COPD Resources and Outcomes Project (NCROP) (2007-)
- Elected Chair of Trainees, British Geriatrics Society 2005-7
- British Geriatrics Society trainee representative 2005-7
- UK Management Committee (BGS)-Member
- Director and Trustee of the British Geriatrics Society
- Joint committee for Royal College of Physicians and BGS-member
- BGS Education and Training Committee-member
- Specialty Advisory Committee in Geriatric Medicine to JRCPTB-member
- BMA Junior Doctors Committee-member
- Elected Vice-Chair of Trainees, British Geriatrics Society 2003-5
- British Geriatrics Society trainee representative 2003-5
- BGS Academic and Research Committee
- Joint committee for Royal College of Physicians and BGS-member (2003-2005)
- Founding Member, Trainees Committee, British Association of Stroke Physicians, 2003-5
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Cerebrovascular & cardiovascular epidemiology and outcome research: I have particular interest in stroke research in the areas of (1) risk identification (2) acute care and service development (Health Service Research), and (3) immediate and long-term post-stroke complications and their impact on stroke outcomes. I also have an interest in the effect of biological ageing on outcome of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases.
Physiology of cardiovascular ageing: especially in the fields of hypertension, syncope, stroke and cerebral autoregulation. Healthy ageing: My other main area of research interest is the determinants of successful ageing with particular emphasis on how best to maintain or improve health to inform public, clinicians and policy makers. I have special interest in self-reported well-being (functional health), health surveys and health status measures, utility measures and their use in health service utilisation and health economy, the role of modifiable lifestyle and psychosocial factors in health expectancy.
Community Acquired Pneumonia (CAP) and COPD in the elderly: One of my clinical research interests is the assessment and outcome of CAP in the elderly population, which is common and associated with higher mortality compared to their younger counterparts. I have also interest in COPD management and outcome.
Training, Education and Ethical issues: I had continual involvement with Education and Training issues with regard to training of future geriatricians and academic leaders. I am particularly interested in exploring the most effective way of developing academic training among trainees.
1. Kwok CS, Skinner J, Metcalf AK, Potter JF, Myint PK. Prior antiplatelet or anticoagulant therapy and mortality in stroke. Heart (in press)
2. Kwok CS, Clark A, Ford GA, Durairaj R, Dixit AK, Sharma AK, Davis J, Potter JF, Myint PK. Association between pre-stroke disability and in-patient mortality and length of acute hospital stay following acute stroke. J Am Geriatr Soc (in press)
3. Myint PK, Luben RN, Wareham NJ, Khaw KT. The association between plasma vitamin C concentrations and blood pressure in 20,926 men and women: cross sectional evidence from the EPIC-Norfolk general population-based study. Hypertension 2011: 58:372-9.
4. Kwok CS, Loke YK, Hale R, Potter JF, Myint PK. Atrial fibrillation and incidence of dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurology 2011;76:914-22.
5. Myint PK, Luben RN, Surtees PG, Wainwright NWJ, Wareham NJ, Khaw KT. Physical health-related quality of life predicts the incidence of Coronary Heart Disease in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer (EPIC)-Norfolk prospective population based study. Int J Epidemiol 2010;39:996-1003.
6. Rea IM, Myint PK, Mueller H, Murphy A, Archbold GP, McNulty H, Patterson CC. Nature or nurture; BMI and blood pressure at 90. Findings from the Belfast Elderly Longitudinal Free-living Aging STudy (BELFAST). Age 2009;31:261-7.
7. Guyomard V, Fulcher RA, Redmayne O, Metcalf AK, Potter JF, Myint PK. Effect of dysphasia and dysphagia on in-patient mortality and hospital length of stay: a data base study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009;57:2101-6.
8. Xie G, Myint PK, Zhao L, Li Y, Wang H, Liang L, Wu Y. Relationship between -592A/C polymorphisms of Interleukin-10 (IL-10) gene and risk of early carotid atherosclerosis. Int J Cardiol 2010;143:102-4.
9. Myint PK, Luben RN, Wareham NJ, Bingham SA, Khaw KT. Combined effect of health behaviours and risk of first-ever stroke in 20,040 men and women over 11 years follow-up in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer (EPIC)-Norfolk prospective population study. BMJ 2009;338:b349.
10. Myint PK, Luben RN, Welch AA, Bingham SA, Wareham NJ, Khaw KT. Plasma vitamin C concentrations predict the risk of incident stroke over 10 years in 20,649 participants of the EPIC-Norfolk prospective population study. Am J Clin Nutri 2008; 87: 64-9.
- Faculty PGR team member - Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (2008 - )
- Associate PGR Representative - Norwich Medical School (2008 -)
- Co-ordinator for NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow Training Programme (2009- )
- Co-Course Director – MSc in Health Research (2012 – )
- Module Co-ordinator - Hyperacute and acute management of Stroke MSc Module
- Module team member- Module 4 (2011-)
- Year 2 Exam Board Member (2008 - )
- Secondary care lead (stroke) (2008 - )
- Module Lead- Circulation Module (2008-2011)
- CDD Member (2008-2011)
I lecture and give seminars at both postgraduate (PGR or PGT students) and undergraduate (all years) levels in several subject areas including stroke, neuroscience, cardiovascular medicine and neurophysiology. I am also a PBL tutor and regularly involved with assessments/examinations for both under-and postgraduate (PGT/PGR) students.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Devlopment Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 8 Finished
Can a practice based approach using significant event audit identify key factors that might reduce avoidable non-elective hospital admissions? A feasibility study
1/06/14 → 8/02/16
1/03/13 → 28/02/14
Clinical Efficacy of Functional Strength Training (FST) for Upper Limb Motor Recovery Early After Stroke: Neural Correlates and Prognostic Indicators
Pomeroy, V., Pomeroy, V., Pomeroy, V., Barton, G., Burridge, J., Hunter, S., Johansen-Berg, H., Lemon, R., Myint, P., Norrie, J., Rothwell, J., Vliet, A., Ward, N., Weir, C., Wing, A., Walker, A., Chandler, E. & Havis, C.
1/04/12 → 31/10/16
An exploratory randomized controlled trial of a depression recognition and treatment package (DepReT-Stroke) for families living with stroke
3/01/12 → 1/04/15
Assessing the Associations Between Age, Co-morbidity and Healthcare on the prognosis of older patients with acute coronary syndromes using routine clinical data
1/01/12 → 30/06/13
Anticholinergic burden (prognostic factor) for prediction of dementia or cognitive decline in older adults with no known cognitive syndromeTaylor-Rowan, M., Edwards, S., Noel-Storr, A. H., McCleery, J., Myint, P. K., Soiza, R., Stewart, C., Loke, Y. K. & Quinn, T. J., 5 May 2021, In: Cochrane Library. 2021, 5, CD013540.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)12 Downloads (Pure)
Anticholinergic burden in older adult inpatients: patterns from admission to discharge and associations with hospital outcomesHerrero-Zazo, M., Berry, R., Bines, E., Bhattacharya, D., Myint, P. K. & Keevil, V. L., 6 May 2021, In: Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety. 12, p. 1-13 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Loke, Y. K. & Myint, P. K., 2021, In: Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety. 12
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
Anticholinergic burden measures predict older people's physical function and quality of life: A systematic reviewStewart, C., Yrjana, K., Kishor, M., Soiza, R. L., Taylor-Rowan, M., Quinn, T. J., Loke, Y. K. & Myint, P. K., Jan 2021, In: Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 22, 1, p. 56-64 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Citations (Scopus)1 Downloads (Pure)
Clark, A. B., Sawanyawisuth, K., Kongbunkiat, K., Kasemsap, N., Tiamkao, S. & Myint, P. K., Oct 2021, In: Acta Neurologica Belgica. 121, 5, p. 1241–1246 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile5 Downloads (Pure)