Projects per year
- Research Associate in Nutrition: University of East Anglia (2015-present)
- Research Assistant in Nutrition: University of East Anglia (2012-2015)
- Research Assistant: St George’s Medical School, London (2011-2012)
- Research Nutritionist: TNS-BMRB / School Food Trust, London (2010-2011)
- Dietary Assessment Assistant: Medical Research Council, Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge (2008-2009)
- MSc Nutrition and Food Science: University of Reading, 2010
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science with Nutrition: University of Bedfordshire, 2007
Key Research Interests
I joined the UEA in 2012 to work within the Department of Nutrition and Preventive Medicine. During my time at UEA I have worked on a number of human randomised control trials, with a focus on research within the area of diet and healthy aging, in particular cognition and cardiovascular health.
- MedEx-UK (Alzheimer’s Research UK funded): A Randomised Controlled Trial investigating the feasibility of a multi-domain intervention to increase Mediterranean Diet (MedDiet) Score and Physical Activity (PA) of older UK adults who are at above average risk of dementia. (2018-2020)
- CANN (Centre of Nutrition Memory and Learning, CNLM, University of Illinois funded): A Randomised Controlled Trial in ‘At Risk’ Humans investigating the Cognitive Benefits of Combined Flavonoid/Fatty Acid and Underlying Mechanisms of Action: The Cognitive Aging Nutrition and Neurogenesis (CANN) trial. (2015-2017)
- NU-AGE (EC-funded European project): New dietary strategies addressing the specific needs of the elderly population for healthy ageing in Europe. (2012-2015)
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
ARC Ageing and Multi-morbidity theme
Hornberger, M., Bhattacharya, D., Wright, D. & Gillings, R.
National Institute for Health and Care Research
1/10/19 → 30/09/24
NuBrain: UK Consortium for Optimal Nutrition for Healthy Brain Ageing
1/09/19 → 30/09/23
Diet, physical activity and dementia risk in UK adults: Epidemiology and MedEx feasibility study
Minihane, A., Berry, N., Hanson, S., Hardeman, W., Hornberger, M., Savva, G. & Gillings, R.
1/01/18 → 31/12/21
- 16 Article
APOE ϵ4 alters associations between docosahexaenoic acid and preclinical markers of Alzheimer's diseaseCoughlan, G., Lim, M., Larsen, R., White, D., Gillings, R., Irvine, M., Scholey, A., Cohen, N., Legido Quigley, C., Hornberger, M. & Minihane, A-M., 2021, In: Brain Communications. 3, 2, fcab085.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile5 Citations (Scopus)17 Downloads (Pure)
Feasibility and acceptability of a multi-domain intervention to increase Mediterranean diet adherence and physical activity in older UK adults at risk of dementia: Protocol for the MedEx-UK randomised controlled trialShannon, O. M., Lee, V., Bundy, R., Gillings, R., Jennings, A., Stephan, B., Hornberger, M., Balanos, G., Paddick, S. M., Hanson, S., Hardeman, W., Holmes, R., Garner, N., Aldred, S., Siervo, M., Mathers, J. C. & Minihane, A-M., 5 Feb 2021, In: BMJ Open. 11, 2, e042823.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)32 Downloads (Pure)
Changing from a Western to a Mediterranean-style diet does not affect iron or selenium status: Results of the new dietary strategies addressing the specific needs of the elderly population for healthy aging in Europe (NU-AGE) 1-year randomized clinical trial in elderly EuropeansJennings, A., Tang, J. C. Y., Gillings, R., Perfecto Jr, A., Dutton, J., Speakman, J., Fraser, W. D., Nicoletti, C., Berendsen, A. A. M., de Groot, L. C. P. G. M., Pietruszka, B., Jeruszka-Bielak, M., Caumon, E., Caille, A., Ostan, R., Franceschi, C., Santoro, A. & Fairweather-Tait, S., Jan 2020, In: The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 111, 1, p. 98-109 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile10 Citations (Scopus)9 Downloads (Pure)
Functional connectivity between the entorhinal and posterior cingulate cortices underpins navigation discrepancies in at-risk Alzheimer’s diseaseCoughlan, G., Zhukovsky, P., Puthusseryppady, V., Gillings, R., Minihane, A-M., Cameron, D. & Hornberger, M., Jun 2020, In: Neurobiology of Aging. 90, p. 110-118 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile12 Citations (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Test-retest reliability of spatial navigation in adults at-risk of Alzheimer’s diseaseCoughlan, G., Puthusseryppady, V., Lowry, E., Gillings, R., Spiers, H. J., Minihane, A-M. & Hornberger, M., 22 Sep 2020, In: PLoS One. 15, 9, e0239077.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile8 Citations (Scopus)40 Downloads (Pure)