Projects per year
I developed an interest in volcanology during a Geology BSc at the University of St Andrews. During my PhD at Lancaster University, I worked on the eruptions from the Long Valley caldera (California) and peculiar rift magmas from Pantelleria (S. Italy). I followed this with a post-doctoral appointment at Lancaster University making field measurements of the viscosity of active basaltic lava flows in Hawai`i. I then worked for ten years at the volcano observatories on Montserrat and Hawai`i on all manner of volcanic problems. My main efforts have been in ground deformation measurements, topographic measurements of an active lava dome and developing methods for the remote measurement of sulphur dioxide flux from volcanoes.
Key Research Interests
Growth, emplacement and collapse of lava flows and domes; magma degassing and explosive volcanism; monitoring of active volcanoes.
- Edmonds, M. and Herd, R.A. (in press) A volcanic degassing event at the explosive-effusive transition.Geophysical Research Letters.
- Edmonds, M., Herd, R.A. and Strutt, M.H. (2006) Tephra deposited on Montserrat during the 12–15 July 2003 dome collapse and explosions at Soufrière Hills Volcano. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 153, 313–330.doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2005.12.008
- Wadge, G., Mattioli, G.S. and Herd, R.A. (2006) Ground deformation at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat during 1998–2000 measured by radar interferometry and GPS. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 152, 157–173. doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2005.11.007
- Herd, R.A., Edmonds, M. and Bass, V.B. (2005) Catastrophic lava dome failure at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, 12–13 July 2003. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 148, 234–252.doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2005.05.003
- Edmonds, M. and Herd, R.A. (2005) Inland-directed base surge generated by the explosive interaction of pyroclastic flows and seawater at Soufrière Hills volcano, Montserrat. Geology 33(4), 245-248. DOI: 10.1130/G21166.1
- Edmonds, M., Herd, R.A., Galle, B. and Oppenheimer C. (2003) Automated, high time-resolution measurements of SO2 flux at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat. Bulletin of Volcanology 65(8), 576-586.DOI: 10.1007/s00445-003-0286-x
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- Director of Admissions
Areas of Expertise
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Understanding the driving forces behind recent changes in the eruptive behaviour of Merapi volcano, Java, Indonesia (Lead - Keele University)
15/01/11 → 20/04/12
Von Glasow, R. & Herd, R.
1/07/10 → 30/09/11
Taylor, N. C., Johnson, J. H. & Herd, R. A., 1 Nov 2021, In: Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 419, 107380.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile32 Downloads (Pure)
Rapid eruptive transitions from low to high intensity explosions and effusive activity: insights from textural analysis of a small-volume trachytic eruption, Ascension Island, South AtlanticDavies, B. V., Brown, R. J., Barclay, J., Scarrow, J. H. & Herd, R. A., Sep 2021, In: Bulletin of Volcanology. 83, 9, 58.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)4 Downloads (Pure)
Taylor, N. C., Johnson, J. H., Herd, R. A. & Regan, C. E., 15 Sep 2020, In: Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research. 402, 106981.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
Plail, M., Edmonds, M., Woods, A. W., Barclay, J., Humphreys, M. C. S., Herd, R. A. & Christopher, T., 15 Feb 2018, In: Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 484, p. 30-40 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile31 Citations (Scopus)8 Downloads (Pure)
Timescales of magma ascent and degassing and the role of crustal assimilation at Merapi volcano (2006-2010), Indonesia: constraints from uranium-series and radiogenic isotopic compositionsHandley, H. K., Reagan, M., Gertisser, R., Preece, K., Berlo, K., McGee, L. E., Barclay, J. & Herd, R., Feb 2018, In: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 222, p. 34-52 19 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile9 Citations (Scopus)13 Downloads (Pure)