Projects per year
After an undergraduate degree in Oceanography at the University of Southampton, I completed my PhD in Physical Oceanography at Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory and the University of Liverpool, under the supervision of Profs John Huthnance and Ric Williams. I then spent three years as a postdoctoral research associate at the University of Hawaii working with Dr Glenn Carter before being appointed Lecturer in Shelf Sea Oceanography at the University of East Anglia.
- 2018 – present: Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer in Physical Oceanography, University of East Anglia
- 2012 – 2018: Lecturer in Shelf Sea Oceanography, University of East Anglia
- 2009 – 2011: Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 2005 – 2009: PhD in Physical Oceanography, University of Liverpool
- 2001 – 2005: MOcean (first class) in Oceanography, University of Southampton
I am currently advertise a PhD studentship in physical oceanography through the ARIES Doctoral Training Partnership: How does the Ocean Influence Glacial Melt in the Arctic and Antarctica? Deadline: 12 January 2021
Click here for other PhD opportunities in the School of Environmental Sciences.
I also welcome enquiries from students with alternative sources of funding who are considering a PhD in internal wave dynamics, turbulent mixing, ocean gliders, or any of my other areas of interest.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
My research is on shelf sea and deep ocean fluid dynamics, diagnosed from both observations and numerical model simulations. I have a specific interest in internal waves and internal tides, their interactions with complex topography such as submarine canyons, their effect on turbulent mixing, biogeochemical fluxes, and sediment resuspension, and their impact on pelagic and benthic ecosystems. As a leading member of the UEA Glider Group, I have led numerous Seaglider missions and developed methods to use these autonomous vehicles for the diagnosis of internal wave energetics and turbulent mixing rates. To support these observations and investigate process interactions, I run numerical model simulations using both the Princeton Ocean Model and MITgcm.
Current Research Projects:
- The Maritime Continent – Driver of the Global Climate System (TerraMaris; NERC; Co-I)
- Thwaites-Amundsen Regional Survey and Network Integrating Atmosphere-Ice-Ocean Processes affecting the Sub-Ice-Shelf Environment (TARSAN; NERC/NSF; Co-I)
- Processes Influencing Carbon Cycling: Observations of the Lower limb of the Antarctic Overturning (PICCOLO; NERC; Co-I)
- Climate-relevant Ocean Measurements and Processes on the Antarctic continental Shelf and Slope (COMPASS; ERC; Team member)
- An Alternative Framework to Assess Marine Ecosystem Functioning in Shelf Seas (AlterEco, NERC, Co-I)
Significant Recent Publications:
- Spingys, C. P., R. G. Williams, J. E. Hopkins, R. A. Hall, J. A. M. Green, and J. Sharples, 2020: Internal-tide driven tracer transport across the continental slope. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, in press.
- Rollo, C., K. J. Heywood, R. A. Hall, E. D. Barton, and J. Kaiser, 2020: Glider observations of the Northwestern Iberian Margin during an exceptional summer upwelling season. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 125, e2019JC015804, doi:10.1029/2019JC015804.
- Gilchrist, R. M., R. A. Hall, J. C. Bacon, J. M. Rees, and J. A. Graham, 2020: Increased dispersion of oil from a deep water seabed release by energetic mesoscale eddies. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 156, 111258, doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2020.111258.
- Sheehan, P. M. F., B. Berx, A. Gallego, R. A. Hall, K. J. Heywood, and B. Y. Queste, 2020: Weekly variability of hydrography and transport of northwestern inflows into the northern North Sea. Journal of Marine Systems, 204, 103288, doi:10.1016/j.jmarsys.2019.103288.
- Hall, R. A., B. Berx, and G. M. Damerell, 2019: Internal tide energy flux over a ridge measured by a co-located ocean glider and moored acoustic Doppler current profiler. Ocean Science, 15, 1439–1453, doi:10.5194/os-15-1439-2019.
- Sheehan, P. M. F., S. L. Hughes, B. Berx, A. Gallego, R. A. Hall, K. J. Heywood, and B. Y. Queste, 2018: Shelf sea tidal currents and mixing fronts determined from ocean glider observations. Ocean Science, 14, 225–236, doi:10.5194/os-14-225-2018.
- Aslam, T., R. A. Hall, and S. R. Dye, 2018: Internal tides in a dendritic submarine canyon. Progress in Oceanography, 169, 20–32, doi:10.1016/j.pocean.2017.10.005.
- Hall, R. A., B. Berx, and M. E. Inall, 2017: Observing internal tides in high-risk regions using co-located ocean gliders and moored ADCPs. Oceanography, 30, 51–52, doi:10.5670/oceanog.2017.220.
- Hall, R. A., T. Aslam, and V. A. I. Huvenne, 2017: Partly standing internal tides in a dendritic submarine canyon observed by an ocean glider. Deep-Sea Research Part I, 126, 73-84, doi:10.1016/j.dsr.2017.05.015.
- Sheehan, P. M. F., B. Berx, A. Gallego, R. A. Hall, K. J. Heywood, and S. L. Hughes, 2017: Thermohaline forcing and interannual variability of northwestern inflows into the northern North Sea. Continental Shelf Research, 138, 120–131, doi:10.1016/j.csr.2017.01.016.
Previous PhD Students:
- Ryan Gilchrist – Dynamics and Impacts of Oil Spills From Seabed Releases in the Faroe-Shetland Channel
- Peter Sheehan – Forcing and Variability of Northwestern Inflows into the Northern North Sea
- Tahmeena Aslam – Internal Tides in Whittard Canyon
- ENV-5017: Shelf Sea Dynamics and Coastal Processes (module organiser)
- ENV-4007: Atmosphere & Oceans
- ENV-5020/7030: Marine Sciences Fieldcourse
- Environmental Sciences Deputy Senior Advisor and Lead Engagement Officer
- Collaborative Centre for Suatainable Use of the Seas (CCSUS) Deputy Director
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
NSFPLR-NERC: Thwaites-Amundsen Regional Survey and Network (TARSAN). Integrating Atmosphere-Ice-Ocean Processes affecting the Sub-Ice-Shelf Environment.
1/07/18 → 30/06/23
COMPASS: Climate-relevant Ocean Measurements and Processes on the Antarctic Continental Shelf and Slope
1/09/17 → 29/02/24
1/05/17 → 31/03/22
A methodology for Thorpe scaling 512 Hz fast thermistor data from buoyancy-driven gliders to estimate turbulent kinetic energy dissipation rate in the oceanLeadbitter, P., Hall, R. & Brearley, A., 20 Jan 2020, OCEANS 2019 MTS/IEEE Seattle, OCEANS 2019. Online: IEEE Conference Publications, 6 p. 8962818. (OCEANS 2019 MTS/IEEE Seattle, OCEANS 2019).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contributionOpen AccessFile12 Downloads (Pure)
Hall, R., Aslam, T., Carter, G., Gales, J. & Huvenne, V. A. I., 15 Jul 2020, In : Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 542, 116321.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)1 Downloads (Pure)
Glider Observations of the Northwestern Iberian Margin During an Exceptional Summer Upwelling SeasonRollo, C., Heywood, K. J., Hall, R. A., Barton, E. D. & Kaiser, J., Aug 2020, In : Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. 125, 8, e2019JC015804.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)18 Downloads (Pure)
Improving the predictive capability of benthic species distribution models by incorporating oceanographic data – towards holistic ecological modelling of a submarine canyonPearman, T. R. R., Robert, K., Callaway, A., Hall, R., Lo Iacono, C. & Huvenne, V. A. I., May 2020, In : Progress in Oceanography. 184, 102338.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile12 Citations (Scopus)5 Downloads (Pure)
Hall, R. A., Bacon, J. C., Rees, J. M. & Graham, J. A., Jul 2020, In : Marine Pollution Bulletin. 156, 111258.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)
Berx, B. (Creator), Damerell, G. (Creator), Gallego, A. (Creator), Hall, R. (Creator), Heywood, K. (Creator), Lee, G. A. (Creator) & Queste, B. (Creator), British Oceanographic Data Centre - Natural Environment Research Council, UK , 8 Mar 2018
Wynn, R. B. (Creator), Wihsgott, J. U. (Creator), Palmer, M. R. (Creator), Lichtman, I. D. (Creator), Miller, P. (Creator), Goult, S. (Creator), Nencioli, F. (Creator), Loveday, B. R. (Creator), Jones, S. (Creator), Risch, D. (Creator), Hall, R. (Creator), Cauchy, P. (Creator), Doran, J. (Creator), Mowat, R. (Creator) & Damerell, G. (Creator), British Oceanographic Data Centre - Natural Environment Research Council, UK , 2019