Projects per year
Reader in Pure Mathematics, University of East Anglia (2020– )
Senior Lecturer in Pure Mathematics, University of East Anglia (2017–2020)
Lecturer in Pure Mathematics, University of East Anglia (2013–2017)
FCT Ciência 2008 Research Fellow, Centre of Algebra of the University of Lisbon, Portugal (2010—2013)
EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of St Andrews (2008–2010)
Research Fellow, School of Mathematics, University of Leeds, UK. Member of the Leeds Logic Group working on the EPSRC funded project “Homogeneous structures, bipartite graphs, and partial orders” (2006–2008)
Follow this link for details of current PhD opportunities in Mathematics. But feel free to email me to discuss projects outside these areas and alternative sources of funding.
- Director of Admissions for the School of Mathematics, University of East Anglia (2017-2021)
I have taught a range of mathematics courses at UEA including: first-year Linear Algebra, Algeba I: Group Theory, Mathematical Skills, and the module Sets, Numbers and Proof; second-year Ring Theory, and Further Linear Algebra, and the third-fourth-year modules Semigroup Theory, and Galois Theory.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
I am an algebraist with interests in a wide range of topics including: combinatorial and geometric group and semigroup theory, algorithmic problems for groups and monoids, homological finiteness properties, algebraic combinatorics, groups acting on graphs and other relational structures, and homogeneous structures in the model-theoretic sense.
Grants and Projects
- EPSRC grant EP/N033353/1 "Special inverse monoids: subgroups, structure, geometry, rewriting systems and the word problem".
- EPSRC grant EP/E043194/1 "Finiteness Conditions and Index in Semigroups and Monoids".
Research Group Membership
Current PhD Students
- Carl-Fredrik Nyberg Brodda, University of East Anglia (funded by a UEA SCI competition funded studentship)
Former PhD Students
- Diane Lubbock (Finiteness properties for semigroups and their substructures), University of East Anglia, viva passed in November 2020
- Thomas Coleman (Automorphisms and endomorphisms of first-order structures), University of East Anglia, viva passed in June 2017
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 3 Finished
1/04/19 → 30/09/19
1/06/16 → 31/07/16
- 50 Article
2 Citations (Scopus)
Gray, R. & Steinberg, B., 23 Jul 2021, (Accepted/In press) In : Comptes Rendus de l'Academie des Sciences - Series I: Mathematics.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Gray, R., 2021, In : Transactions of the American Mathematical Society. 374, 6, p. 4309-4358 50 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Downloads (Pure)
Gray, R., 15 Apr 2021, In : Information and Computation. 104745.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article1 Citation (Scopus)
Gray, R. D. & Kambites, M., Jun 2020, In : International Mathematics Research Notices. 2020, 12, p. 3753–3793 41 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile18 Downloads (Pure)