Projects per year
I studied geography at the University of Bristol and Pennsylvania State University, with an intermediate spell at the University of Lund in Sweden. I then joined the School of Environmental Science at the University of East Anglia. I have held visiting appointments at the Catholic University of Chile and the University of Canterbury in New Zealand. I retired from UEA in 2011.
Key Research Interests
My interest in health began with research investigating the future role of community hospitals in rural settings. This developed into subsequent investigations on the effects of geographical accessibility on health and health service use. The most recent examples are studies of cancer survival and its associations with access to cancer services. I have also worked on geographical inequalities in health and the influence of environmental risk factors. Neighbourhood effects on childhood injuries and the determinants of road traffic accidents are current concerns.
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
- Haynes, R., Daras, K., Reading, R. and Jones, A. (2007) Modifiable neighbourhood units, zone design and residents’ perceptions. Health and Place 13(4), 812-825. DOI: 10.1016/j.healthplace.2007.01.002
- Haynes R, Reading R and Gale S. (2003) Household and neighbourhood risks for injury to 5-14 year old children. Social Science and Medicine 57: 625-636. DOI: 10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00446-X
- Haynes, R, Lovett, A and Sunnenberg, G. (2003) Potential accessibility, travel time and consumer choice: geographical variations in general medical practice registrations in Eastern England. Environment and Planning A 35: 1733-1750. DOI: 10.1068/a35165
- Haynes, R, Jones, A.P, Harvey, I and Jewell, A. (2005) Geographical distribution of road traffic deaths in England and Wales: place of accident compared with place of residence. Journal of Public Health 27: 107-111. doi:10.1093/pubmed/fdh212
- Haynes, R, Jones, A.P, Kennedy, V., Harvey, I and Jewell, A. (2007) District variations in road curvature in England and Wales and their association with road traffic accident rates. Environment and Planning A 39(5): 1222-1237. DOI: 10.1068/a38106
- Haynes, R, Jones, A P, Sauerzapf, V, Zhao, H. (2006) Validation of travel times to hospital estimated by GIS. International Journal of Health Geographics 5:40 DOI: 10.1186/1476-072X-5-40
Publications: EPrints Digital Repository
Areas of Expertise
Rural Health Services
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- 1 Finished
International Study of Cancer Survival (INSERM)
French National Cancer Institute
1/09/09 → 1/07/10
Geographical access to healthcare in Northern England and post-mortem diagnosis of cancerJones, AP., Haynes, R., Sauerzapf, V., Crawford, SM. & Forman, D., 2010, In: Journal of Public Health. 32, 4, p. 532-537 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review20 Citations (Scopus)
Physical activity in children: Does how we define neighbourhood matter?Jones, A. P., van Sluijs, E. M. F., Ness, A. R., Haynes, R. & Riddoch, C. J., 2010, In: Health and Place. 16, 2, p. 236-241 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review19 Citations (Scopus)
Temporal variations in road traffic fatalities in South AfricaSukhai, A., Jones, A. P., Love, B. S. & Haynes, R., 2010, In: Accident Analysis and Prevention. 43, 1, p. 421-428 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review31 Citations (Scopus)
The problems in determining international road mortalitySauerzapf, V., Jones, AP. & Haynes, R., 2010, In: Accident Analysis and Prevention. 42, 2, p. 492-499 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review13 Citations (Scopus)
Epidemiology and risk of road traffic mortality in South AfricaSukhai, A., Jones, AP. & Haynes, R., 2009, In: South African Geographical Journal. 91, 1, p. 4-15 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review10 Citations (Scopus)