Projects per year
Stephen Meech has been at UEA since 1994. His research is focused on understanding ultrafast dynamics of complex condensed phase systems including liquid state dynamics, fast photochemical reactions andphotoactive proteins. He maintains a number of national and international research collaborations which facilitates the application of ultrafast methods to some of the most interesting and challenging problems. Prior to joining UEA he was an Inoue Foundation fellow at IMS Japan and an EPSRC fellow at The University of Groningen, The Netherlands. He has held two JSPS fellowships in Japan and was a visiting researcher at RIKEN Tokyo.
Brust, Richard, Lukacs, Andras, Haigney, Allison, Addison, Kiri, Gil, Agnieszka, Towrie, Michael, Clark, Ian P., Greetham, Gregory M., Tonge, Peter J. and Meech, Stephen R.
Proteins in Action: Femtosecond to Millisecond Structural Dynamics of a Photoactive Flavoprotein.
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2013, 135 (43). pp. 16168-16174. ISSN 0002-7863
Lukacs, Andras, Haigney, Allison, Brust, Richard, Addison, Kiri, Towrie, Michael, Greetham, Gregory M., Jones, Garth A., Miyawaki, Atsushi, Tonge, Peter J. and Meech, Stephen R.
Protein Photochromism Observed by Ultrafast Vibrational Spectroscopy.
The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2013, 117 (40). pp. 11954-11959. ISSN 1520-6106
Conyard, J, Addison, K, Heisler, IA, Cnossen, A, Browne, WR, Feringa, BL and Meech, SR
Ultrafast dynamics in the power stroke of a molecular rotary motor.
Nature Chemistry, 2012, 4 (7). pp. 547-551. ISSN 1755-4330
Mazur, K, Heisler, IA and Meech, SR
THz Spectra and Dynamics of Aqueous Solutions Studied by the Ultrafast Optical Kerr Effect.
The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2011, 115 (11). pp. 2563-2573. ISSN 1520-6106
Heisler, IA and Meech, SR
Low Frequency Modes of Aqueous Alkali Halide Solutions: Glimpsing the Hydrogen Bond Vibration.
Science, 2010, 327, 857 – 860.
Kondo, Minako, Heisler, Ismael, Stoner-Ma, Deborah, Tonge, Peter J. and Meech, Stephen R.
Ultrafast Dynamics of Protein Proton Transfer on Short Hydrogen Bond Potential Energy Surfaces: S65T/H148D GFP.
Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2010, 132 (5). pp. 1452-1453.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
My principal research interest is in the development and application of ultrafast methods in spectroscopy. Current methods include ultrafast two-dimensional spectroscopy (with Ismael Heisler, UEA) ultrafast (sub 50 fs) fluorescence up-conversion, transient absorption, Femtoseconf Stimulatled Raman Spectroscopy and optical Kerr effect spectroscopy. These are applied to investigate a number of complex systems including: coupled chromophore arrays; molecular motors; photoactive fluorescent proteins; blue light sensing proteins; molecular structure and dynamics in aqueous solution.
Areas Of Expertise
I teach courses across the spectrum of physical chemistry and chemical physics, from first to Masters years.
Director of Postgraduate Research (ex-officio school executive board).
Research Group Membership
Senior Research Associates
- Dr Palas Roy
- Dr Giovanni Bressan
Former Members (* Phd Student, last known position - updates and links welcome)
- Dr Katrin Adamczyk (Education Sector Germany)
- Dr Chris Hall (Senior Research Fellow, School of Chemistry. University of Melbourne)
- Dr Franco V. Almeida Camargo* (Research Associate, University Milan)
- Dr Siarhei Laptenok (Research Fellow, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology)
- MSc Roberta Moca
- Dr Kiri Addison* (Cyber data specialist, civil service)
- Dr Francesca Palombo (Lecturer in Physics, Exeter University)
- Dr. Kamila Mazur* (National Instruments, USA)
- Dr. Jamie Conyard* (Teacher Training)
- Dr. Rui-Kun Zhao* (Teaching Fellow South Bank University)
- Prof. Andras Lukcas - (Prof of Biophysics, University Pec) email@example.com
- Dr. Minako Kondo* - (Lecturer, Ochanomizu University, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr. Jerome Nappa
- Dr. James Rice - (Lecturer in Physics University College Dublin) email@example.com
- Dr. Jesus Garduno-Mejia (Prof in Physics Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Mike Hope*
- Dr Michael Higlett* (Scientist Health Protection Agency) email@example.com
- M.Sc. Lesley Jaggard
- Dr. James Mann*
- Dr Neil Hunt (Reader in Physics, Strathclyde University)
- Dr Andy Jaye* (Post doc Stony Brook University)
- Dr Daren Burke* (Post doc Univeristy College London)
- Dr Tomas Vondrak (Senior Research Associate University Leeds)
- Dr Naomi Webber* (Government Relations, Lewis Burke Associates, Washington, Naomi@lewis-burke.com))
- Dr Konstanin Litvinenko (Senior Research associate, University Surrey)
- Dr Neil Smith* (Softward Devlopment, Diamond Light Source)
- Dr Shujie Lin (Institute of Optical Science, Toronto)
- Dr Robert Kidd* (Astra Zeneca)
- Dr Michael Morgenthaler* (at Heriot watt University, Strathclyde police)
Dr. Ismael Heisler.
Dr. Andras Lukcas.
PhD student Kamila working with Cavity-Dumped laser.
PhD student Leo.
PhD student Jamie.
PhD student Kiri.
PhD student Clare.
2011 - European Editor Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A Chemistry.
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
17/05/21 → 16/11/23
1/08/18 → 31/07/22
1/04/12 → 31/03/22
Meech, SR., 2012, In: Nature Chemistry. 4, 7, p. 547-551 5 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review125 Citations (Scopus)
Meech, S., 11 Jun 2014, In: Journal of the American Chemical Society. 136, 27, p. 9692-9700
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewFile66 Citations (Scopus)11 Downloads (Pure)
Meech, S. R., 26 Mar 2014, In: Journal of the American Chemical Society. 136, 12, p. 4605-4615
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile28 Citations (Scopus)8 Downloads (Pure)
Meech, S. R., 30 Oct 2013, In: Journal of the American Chemical Society. 135, 43, p. 16168-16174 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile41 Citations (Scopus)13 Downloads (Pure)
Meech, S., 2010, In: Science. 327, 5967, p. 857-860 4 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review114 Citations (Scopus)
van Wonderen et al Data sets for 'Nanosecond Heme-to-Heme Electron Transfer Rates in a Multiheme Cytochrome Nanowire...'
Butt, J. (Creator), Van Wonderen, J. (Creator), Adamczyk, K. (Creator), Wu, X. (Creator), Jiang, X. (Creator), Piper, S. (Creator), Hall, C. (Creator), Edwards, M. (Creator), Clarke, T. (Creator), Zhang, H. (Creator), Jeuken, L. J. C. (Creator), Sazanovich, I. (Creator), Towrie, M. (Creator), Blumberger, J. (Creator) & Meech, S. (Creator), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2021