Projects per year
- PhD Psychology, University of Reading, 2001.
- First Class BA (Hons) Psychology, University of Reading, 1995.
Key responsibilities in current post: MB BS Course Evaluation Lead.
- Senior Research Associate in Medical Education, Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia, Norwich, 2003-present time.
- Visiting Lecturer in the Schools of Plant Sciences, and Food Biosciences, University of Reading, 2003-2005.
- Research Scientist, Institute of Food Research, Norwich, 1996-2003.
- Lecturer in A level Psychology, Reading College of Arts and Technology, Reading, 1996-1997 (part time).
- Assistant Psychologist, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, 1995-1996.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Research psychologist specialising in attitude research.
- Student perceptions of educational environment.
- Junior doctors' perceptions of preparedness (Co-applicant and Principal Investigator on the research project "F1 Doctors - Prepared to Practice?" Funder: National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Research for Patient Benefit (RfPB) Programme. Funding Period: 1 Oct 2010 - 30 Sept 2012. Grant Reference No: PB-PG-0808-17193. Grant Holder: Professor Sam J Leinster. Amount of grant: £247,544).
- Self-perceived empathy in medical students.
- Do doctors need statistics?
- Attitudes towards professional behaviour.
- Self and peer assessment of professional behaviour.
- Attitudes of food allergic consumers towards genetically modified low allergen food, and the perceived impact of food allergy on quality of life.
- Public attitudes towards food safety (particularly perception of genetically modified food and microbial food poisoning).
- Optimistic biases in perception of food hazards.
PhD supervision (completed):
Secondary supervisor for two PhD students investigating:
- “Consultation Skills Training and Practice: A Mixed-Methods Exploration of Perspectives from Junior Doctors, their Patients and other Clinicians.”
- “How do Medical Doctors with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) Cope in a Clinical Setting?”
- Emerald Literati Network Outstanding Paper Award 2006. Miles S, Bolhaaar S, Gonzalez-Mancebo E, Hafner C, Hoffmann-Sommergruber K, Fernandez-Rivas F, Knulst A. Attitudes towards low-allergen food in food allergic consumers. Nutrition and Food Science, 35(4) 220-228, 2005
- Emerald Literati Club Highly Commended Award 2005. Miles S, Brennan M, Kuznesof S, Ness M, Ritson C, Frewer L J. Public worry about specific food safety issues. British Food Journal, 106(1) 9-22, 2004
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Devlopment Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 2 Finished
F1 Doctors - Prepared to Practice? (Investigating the performance of newly qualified doctors with reference to patient satisfaction and patient safety)
1/10/10 → 31/12/16
1/06/08 → 31/12/09
Medical Students’ Views about Interprofessional Clinical Skills Sessions for Delivering Interprofessional EducationWebb, L-A., Miles, S., Bassi, H., Lindqvist, S. & Bowker, L. K., 30 Jul 2021, In: Journal of Contemporary Medical Education. 11, 7, p. 1-8 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Downloads (Pure)
Hess, G., Miles, S. & Bowker, L. K., 27 Jul 2021, (E-pub ahead of print) In: Teaching and Learning in Medicine.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Downloads (Pure)
Nagraj, S., Miles, S., Bryant, P. & Holland, R., 15 Mar 2019, In: Medical Science Educator. 29, 1, p. 93-100 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)7 Downloads (Pure)
Jennings, B., Killeen, T. & Miles, S., 2018, p. 509.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Abstract › peer-reviewOpen Access
Miles, S., Kellett, J. & Leinster, S. J., 6 Feb 2017, In: BMC Medical Education. 17, 1, 33.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile36 Citations (Scopus)24 Downloads (Pure)