Projects per year
- Head of Schol (January 2014-)
- Director of Research (2008-2013)
- Director of Postgraduate Research (2007-2008)
- Member of the BIO Executive
- Member of the Promotion Committee
- Professor of RNA Biology (2012-)
- Reader in Cell and Molecular Biology in Biology, University of East Anglia (2009-2012)
- Senior Lecturer in Cell and Molecular Biology in Biology, University of East Anglia (2007-2009)
- Lecturer in Cell and Molecular Biology in Biology, University of East Anglia (2002-2007)
- Postdoctoral researcher, The Sainsbury Laboratory, Norwich, UK (1997-2002)
- EMBO Fellow, The Sainsbury Laboratory, Norwich, UK (1995-1997)
- Ph.D. - Agricultural Biotechnology Centre, Godollo, Hungary (1995)
- B.Sc. - Genetics, University of Budapest, Hungary (1990)
Research group website
- Journal Editor for Methods in Next Generation Sequencing http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/mngs
- Grant reviewer for BBSRC, MRC, Wellcome Trust and foreign funding bodies (e.g. DFG (German), Irish Health Research Board, Horizon and NOW (Dutch), Medical Science Foundation Innsbruck, Austria)
- Invited speaker to meetings in the UK, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, Italy, etc.
- Sub-project organiser in an FP6 consortium SIROCCO ‘Silencing RNAs:organisers and coordinators of complexity in eukaryotic organisms’
- Editorial Board member for FEBS Letters
- Editorial Board member for Planta
Key Research Interests and Expertise
I am a molecular biologist with primary interests in RNA silencing. Our research uses both plant and animal systems (Arabidopsis, tomato, mammals, chicken, etc.). The major theme in our laboratory is the role of microRNAs in various biological processes.
Current Research Projects
- The role of short RNAs in tomato fruit development
- Investigating the role of microRNAs in cartilage development
- Biological function of miR-449, a choroid plexus specific microRNA
- Analysis the role of short RNAs in dehydration stress tolerance using plant model systems
Life in our research group
We use molecular techniques to study short RNAs that regulate the expression of protein coding genes. Our research involves a variety of species including both plants and animals. Our group is very international and a good mixture of students and postdocs. The weekly lab meetings are shared with a bioinformatics group at the School of Computing Sciences (Moulton group) because most projects involve a strong bioinformatics component. The laboratory is well funded and even owns a Wii console.
Postdocs & Fellows
There are no positions currently but feel free to approach me to discuss possibilities (e.g. fellowships from EMBO or EU).
- Molecular Biology (2B02)
- Gene silencing/RNA interference (3C39 and 3C41)
- Cell Biology (2B06)
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
PhD - The consequences of virus yellows strain variation on future virus resistant/tolerant sugar beet varieties
1/02/20 → 31/01/24
1/04/19 → 31/03/22
Gene expression during larval caste determination and differentiation in intermediately eusocial bumblebees, and a comparative analysis with advanced eusocial honeybeesCollins, D. H., Wirén, A., Labédan, M., Smith, M., Prince, D. C., Mohorianu, I., Dalmay, T. & Bourke, A. F. G., Feb 2021, In : Molecular Ecology. 30, 3, p. 718-735 18 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
miR-7b-3p exerts a dual role after spinal cord injury, by supporting plasticity and neuroprotection at cortical levelGhibaudi, M., Boido, M., Green, D., Signorino, E., Berto, G. E., Pourshayesteh, S., Singh, A., Di Cunto, F., Dalmay, T. & Vercelli, A., 31 Mar 2021, In : Frontiers in Molecular Biosciences. 8, 618869.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile10 Downloads (Pure)
Swingler, T. E., Skelton, A. J., Piróg, K. A., Miles, C. G., Tsompani, D., Jackson, R. M., Dalmay, T., Clark, I. M., Barter, M. J. & Young, D. A., Nov 2020, In : RNA. 26, 11, p. 1575-1588 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)9 Downloads (Pure)
Green, D., Eyre, H., Singh, A., Taylor, J., Chu, J., Jeys, L., Sumathi, V., Coonar, A., Rassl, D., Babur, M., Forster, D., Alzabin, S., Ponthan, F., McMahon, A., Bigger, B., Reekie, T., Kassiou, M., Williams, K., Dalmay, T., Fraser, W. & 1 others, , 13 Aug 2020, In : Oncogene. 39, 33, p. 5553–5569 17 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)37 Downloads (Pure)
Niu, L., Barter, M. J., Young, D. A., Dalmay, T., Clark, I. M. & Swingler, T. E., 14 Dec 2020, In : Scientific Reports. 10, 21923.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile44 Downloads (Pure)
Supplementary material from "Control of seminal fluid protein expression via regulatory hubs in Drosophila melanogaster"