Projects per year
- Deputy Director of ‘Biotechnology for a sustainable future’ MSc course
- Module Organiser of BIO-M101: Microbial and Enzyme technology
- Natural Sciences Admissions Director.
- Lecturer, University of East Anglia (2011-present)
- RCUK research Fellow, University of East Anglia (2006-2011)
- Senior Research Associate, University of East Anglia (2003-2006)
- Research Fellow, University of Michigan (2001-2003)
- Ph.D. John Innes Centre, University of East Anglia (1998-2001)
- M.Sc. Biomolecular Technology, University of Leicester (1997)
- B.Sc. Biochemistry, University College London, University of London (1992-1995)
- Member of the Biochemical society
- Member of the Society for General Microbiology.
- Invited speaker at ‘Enzymology and Ecology of the Nitrogen Cycle’ (Birmingham 2010)
- Invited speaker for Royal Society ‘Organohalide respiration’ conference (Kavli centre, 2011)
- Invited speaker at Goldschmidt biogeochemical conference (Prague, 2011)
Key Research Interests and Expertise
My interests lie in the characterisation of enzymes that contain metal cofactors, principally enzymes involved in bacterial respiration. These include soluble cytoplasmic and periplasmic proteins, integral membrane proteins as well as extracellular membrane associated proteins that interact with the environment. In collaboration with colleagues in the Centre for Molecular and Structural Biochemistry, my research combines a broad range of biological, biochemical and biophysical techniques to explore protein-protein interactions, electron transfer between cofactors and the mechanism of enzyme catalysis.
Current Research Projects
- Electron transport in mineral respiring Shewanella
- Interactions between outer membrane cytochromes and mineral surfaces
- Reverse electron transfer (bioelectrosynthesis)
- Biochemistry of periplasmic chaperones in Salmonella.
Life in our Research Group
The actions of bacteria have a profound effect on the global environment, from the cycling of greenhouse gases to the availability of minerals and nutrients in the soil. We are interested in how these processes work on a molecular level through the action of enzymes expressed by the bacteria. In order to study these enzymes we employ a broad variety of techniques across the breadth of the science faculty; from spectroscopic methods such as electron paramagnetic resonance in the Biophysical suite in Chemistry to the culturing of micro-organisms in the Wolfson Fermentation Suite in Biology. Our group is based in a well furnished laboratory on floor 2 of BIO, where we share laboratory space and equipment with Prof. Richardson, Dr. Bowater, Dr. Hemmings and Dr. Watmough.
Postdocs & Fellows
I am always happy to discuss possibilities for postdoctoral work and collaborations. Possible funding routes include applying for fellowships, e.g. EU Marie Curie fellowships, with me acting as sponsor, or grant applications with you as a named postdoc.
- Microbial biotechnology (BIO-6004A) (Module organiser)
- Molecular Enzymology in Biology and Medicine (BIO-6001A)
- Biochemistry (BIO-5002A)
- Microbiology (BIO-5015B)
- Physical and Analytical Methods in the Biolmolecular Sciences (BIO-4007Y)
- Skills for Biologists (BIO-4008Y)
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/01/18 → 30/09/21
Clarke, T. A., Edwards, M. J., Gates, A. J., Hall, A., White, G. F., Bradley, J., Reardon, C. L., Shi, L., Beliaev, A. S., Marshall, M. J., Wang, Z., Watmough, N. J., Fredrickson, J. K., Zachara, J. M., Butt, J. N. & Richardson, D. J., 7 Jun 2011, In : Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 108, 23, p. 9384-9389 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleFile243 Citations (Scopus)17 Downloads (Pure)
Redox linked flavin sites in extracellular decaheme proteins involved in microbe-mineral electron transferEdwards, M., White, G., Norman, M., Tome-Fernandez, A., Ainsworth, E., Shi, L., Fredrickson, J., Zachara, J., Butt, J., Richardson, D. & Clarke, T., 1 Jul 2015, In : Scientific Reports. 5, 11677.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile90 Citations (Scopus)14 Downloads (Pure)
Bespoke biomolecular wires for transmembrane electron transfer: Spontaneous assembly of a functionalized multiheme electron conduitPiper, S., Edwards, M., van Wonderen, J., Casadevall, C., Martel, A., Jeuken, L. J. C., Reisner, E., Clarke, T. & Butt, J., 16 Aug 2021, In : Frontiers in Microbiology. 12, 714508.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile6 Downloads (Pure)
Nanosecond Heme-to-Heme Electron Transfer Rates in a Multiheme Cytochrome Nanowire Reported by a Spectrally Unique His/Met Ligated HemeVan Wonderen, J., Adamczyk, K., Wu, X., Jiang, X., Piper, S., Hall, C., Edwards, M., Clarke, T., Zhang, H., Jeuken, L., Sazanovich, I., Towrie, M., Blumberger, J., Meech, S. & Butt, J., 5 Aug 2021, (Accepted/In press) In : Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
His/Met heme ligation in the PioA outer membrane cytochrome enabling light-driven extracellular electron transfer by Rhodopseudomonas palustris TIE-1Li, D., Edwards, M., Blake, A., Payne, S., Piper, S., Jenner, L., Sokol, K., Reisner, E., Van Wonderen, J., Clarke, T. & Butt, J., 16 Jun 2020, In : Nanotechnology. 31, 35, 354002.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)16 Downloads (Pure)
Piper, S. (Creator), Edwards, M. (Creator), Van Wonderen, J. (Contributor), Casadevall, C. (Creator), Martel, A. (Contributor), Jeuken, L. J. C. (Contributor), Reisner, E. (Contributor), Clarke, T. (Contributor) & Butt, J. (Contributor), Frontiers Media S.A., 27 Jul 2021
van Wonderen et al Data sets for 'Nanosecond Heme-to-Heme Electron Transfer Rates in a Multiheme Cytochrome Nanowire...'
Butt, J. (Creator), Van Wonderen, J. (Creator), Adamczyk, K. (Creator), Wu, X. (Creator), Jiang, X. (Creator), Piper, S. (Creator), Hall, C. (Creator), Edwards, M. (Creator), Clarke, T. (Creator), Zhang, H. (Creator), Jeuken, L. J. C. (Creator), Sazanovich, I. (Creator), Towrie, M. (Creator), Blumberger, J. (Creator) & Meech, S. (Creator), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2021
Li, D. (Creator), Edwards, M. (Creator), Blake, A. (Creator), Payne, S. (Creator), Piper, S. (Creator), Jenner, L. (Creator), Sokol, K. P. (Creator), Reisner, E. (Creator), Van Wonderen, J. (Creator), Clarke, T. (Creator) & Butt, J. (Creator), UEA, 2020