Projects per year
- Biological Sciences Postgraduate Research Co-Director
- Natural Sciences Exam Board Chair
- Module organiser for 3rd Year BIO-6004A Microbial Biotechnology
- Module organiser for 1st Year BIO-4007Y Physical and Analytical Methods in Biological Sciences
- Professor of Protein Biochemistry, University of East Anglia (2021-present)
- Lecturer, University of East Anglia (2011-2021)
- RCUK research Fellow, University of East Anglia (2006-2011)
- Senior Research Associate, University of East Anglia (2003-2006)
- Research Fellow, University of Michigan (2001-2003)
- Ph.D. John Innes Centre, University of East Anglia (1998-2001)
- M.Sc. Biomolecular Technology, University of Leicester (1997)
- B.Sc. Biochemistry, University College London, University of London (1992-1995)
- Ambassador of the Biochemical society (2022-)
- Associate Editor of Scientific Reports
- External Board member of 'Centre of Electromicrobiology', Aarhus Denmark
Key Research Interests
My interests lie in the characterisation of enzymes that contain metal cofactors, principally enzymes involved in bacterial respiration. These include soluble cytoplasmic and periplasmic proteins, integral membrane proteins as well as extracellular membrane associated proteins that interact with the environment. In collaboration with colleagues in the Centre for Molecular and Structural Biochemistry, my research combines a broad range of biological, biochemical and biophysical techniques to explore protein-protein interactions, electron transfer between cofactors and the mechanism of enzyme catalysis.
Current Research Projects
- Extracellular electron transfer
- Interactions between outer membrane cytochromes and mineral surfaces
- Reverse electron transfer (bioelectrosynthesis)
Life in our Research Group
The actions of bacteria have a profound effect on the global environment, from the cycling of greenhouse gases to the availability of minerals and nutrients in the soil. We are interested in how these processes work on a molecular level through the action of enzymes expressed by the bacteria. In order to study these enzymes we employ a broad variety of techniques across the breadth of the science faculty; from spectroscopic methods such as Cyclic voltammetry in the Biophysical suite in Chemistry to the culturing of micro-organisms in the Wolfson Fermentation Suite in Biology. Our group is based in a well furnished laboratory on floor 2 of BIO, where we share laboratory space and equipment with Prof. Richardson, Prof. Hemmings, Dr Gates and Dr Swainsbury.
Postdocs & Fellows
I am always happy to discuss possibilities for postdoctoral work and collaborations. Possible funding routes include applying for fellowships, e.g. EU Marie Curie fellowships, with me acting as sponsor, or grant applications with you as a named postdoc.
- Microbial biotechnology (BIO-6004A) (Module organiser)
- Molecular Enzymology in Biology and Medicine (BIO-6001A)
- Biochemistry (BIO-5002A)
- Microbiology (BIO-5015B)
- Physical and Analytical Methods in the Biolmolecular Sciences (BIO-4007Y)
- Skills for Biologists (BIO-4008Y)
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/10/22 → 30/09/23
1/01/18 → 30/09/21
Clarke, T. A., Edwards, M. J., Gates, A. J., Hall, A., White, G. F., Bradley, J., Reardon, C. L., Shi, L., Beliaev, A. S., Marshall, M. J., Wang, Z., Watmough, N. J., Fredrickson, J. K., Zachara, J. M., Butt, J. N. & Richardson, D. J., 7 Jun 2011, In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 108, 23, p. 9384-9389 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile262 Citations (Scopus)16 Downloads (Pure)
Redox linked flavin sites in extracellular decaheme proteins involved in microbe-mineral electron transferEdwards, M., White, G., Norman, M., Tome-Fernandez, A., Ainsworth, E., Shi, L., Fredrickson, J., Zachara, J., Butt, J., Richardson, D. & Clarke, T., 1 Jul 2015, In: Scientific Reports. 5, 11677.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile108 Citations (Scopus)12 Downloads (Pure)
Piper, S. E. H., Casadevall, C., Reisner, E., Clarke, T. A., Jeuken, L. J. C., Gates, A. J. & Butt, J. N., 10 Oct 2022, In: Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 61, 41, e202210572.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)
Clarke, T. A., 1 Apr 2022, In: Current Opinion in Microbiology. 66, p. 56-62 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)1 Downloads (Pure)
Bespoke biomolecular wires for transmembrane electron transfer: Spontaneous assembly of a functionalized multiheme electron conduitPiper, S., Edwards, M., van Wonderen, J., Casadevall, C., Martel, A., Jeuken, L. J. C., Reisner, E., Clarke, T. & Butt, J., 16 Aug 2021, In: Frontiers in Microbiology. 12, 714508.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)21 Downloads (Pure)
Piper, S. (Creator), Edwards, M. (Creator), Van Wonderen, J. (Contributor), Casadevall, C. (Creator), Martel, A. (Contributor), Jeuken, L. J. C. (Contributor), Reisner, E. (Contributor), Clarke, T. (Contributor) & Butt, J. (Contributor), Frontiers Media S.A., 27 Jul 2021
van Wonderen et al Data sets for 'Nanosecond Heme-to-Heme Electron Transfer Rates in a Multiheme Cytochrome Nanowire...'
Butt, J. (Creator), Van Wonderen, J. (Creator), Adamczyk, K. (Creator), Wu, X. (Creator), Jiang, X. (Creator), Piper, S. (Creator), Hall, C. (Creator), Edwards, M. (Creator), Clarke, T. (Creator), Zhang, H. (Creator), Jeuken, L. J. C. (Creator), Sazanovich, I. (Creator), Towrie, M. (Creator), Blumberger, J. (Creator) & Meech, S. (Creator), National Academy of Sciences, 2021
Li, D. (Creator), Edwards, M. (Creator), Blake, A. (Creator), Payne, S. (Creator), Piper, S. (Creator), Jenner, L. (Creator), Sokol, K. P. (Creator), Reisner, E. (Creator), Van Wonderen, J. (Creator), Clarke, T. (Creator) & Butt, J. (Creator), University of East Anglia, 2020