Projects per year
- Editor-in-chief: Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Scheduling, Journal of Applied Intelligence
- Funded invited senior research fellow, Monash, Australia, 2005
- Joint guest editor of a special issue of JORS (Journal of OR Society) on data mining
- International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning, programme committee (2002-2008)
- GECCO, programme committee (2001-2010)
- CIS, programme committee member (2005-2010)
- CEC, programme committee member (2005-2010)
- AIE/IEA, programme committee member (2005-2010)
- EVOBIO, programme committee member (2004-2007)
- OR Society, Accreditation panel
- Fellow of BCS and Vice Chairman of BCS (East Anglia)
- Fellow of OR Society
- EPSRC college member
Areas of Expertise
Vic gained an M.A. degree in Mathematics from Oxford and then a Diploma in Machine Intelligence from Edinburgh followed by a Ph.D. in formal language theory from London.
Some of this time has been spent on sabbatical, at UCSB and UCB in America, at SFU in Canada and at Monash in Australia.
He is on the programme committee of a number of conferences including IDEAL, GECCO and IEEE CEC, IEA/AIE
Professor Rayward-Smith moved to UEA some thirty years ago, and is a Fellow of the BCS, of the OR Society and of the IMA, a Chartered Engineer and a Chartered Mathematician. He is the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms (JMMA) published by Springer.
- Editor-in-chief of Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms
- Board member of Journal of Scheduling
- Board member of Journal of Applied Intelligence.
- Director of Data Mining, Machine Learning and Statistics Laboratory
- Member of Science Executive
- Member of Senate
- Member of University Disciplinary Committee
Key Research Interests
Vic Rayward-Smith is part of the Data Mining, Machine Learning and Statistics Laboratory
He comes from a mathematical background and has always enjoyed the more theoretical aspects of computing. However, his research is focussed on developing new models and algorithmic approaches for solving important practical problems. He has mostly been concerned with the application of new techniques to the solution of problems in scheduling and in machine learning. Most recently, he has been addressing problems arising from clustering, from aggregated data and from unreliable data as well as undertaking several medical data mining projects.
Rayward-Smith, V.J., Measure Based Metrics for Aggregated Data, ,Intelligent Data Analysis, Vol 15, no 2 (in press)
Rayward-Smith, V. J. and Rebaine, D. Analysis of Heuristics for the UET two-machine flow-shop problem with time delays, Computers and Operations Research, Volume 35, Issue 10, Pages 3049-3392 (2008).
Rayward-Smith, V. J., Statistics to measure correlation for data mining applications. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, Volume 51, Issue 8, Page(s) 3968-3982, 2007.
Reynolds, A. P., Richards, G., Iglesia, B. de la., and Rayward-Smith, V.J., Clustering Rules: A Comparison of Partitioning and Hierarchical Clustering Algorithms. Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms, Volume 5, Number 4, Page(s) 475-504, 2006.
List all publications by Professor Vic Rayward-Smith
Building Data-Driven Pathways From Routinely Collected Hospital Data: A Case Study on Prostate CancerBettencourt-Silva, J. H., Clark, J., Cooper, C. S., Mills, R., Rayward-Smith, V. J. & De La Iglesia, B., 2015, In: JMIR Medical Informatics. 3, 3, e26.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile22 Citations (SciVal)14 Downloads (Pure)
Nonmetric multidimensional scaling: A perturbation model for privacy-preserving data clustering: A Perturbation Model for PPDCAlotaibi, K., Rayward-smith, V. & De La Iglesia, B., 1 Jun 2014, In: Statistical Analysis and Data Mining. 7, 3, p. 175-193 19 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review3 Citations (Scopus)
Identification of possible determinants of inpatient mortality using Classification and Regression Tree (CART) analysis in hospitalized oldest old patientsButchart, C., Ismailoglu, F., Myint, P. K., Musonda, P., Lunt, C. J., Pai, Y., Soiza, R. L. & Rayward-Smith, V. J., 2013, In: Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 56, 1, p. 188-191 4 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review5 Citations (Scopus)
Alotaibi, K., Rayward-Smith, V. J., Wang, W. & De La Iglesia, B., 2012, Proceedings - 2012 ASE/IEEE International Conference on Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust and 2012 ASE/IEEE International Conference on Social Computing, SocialCom/PASSAT 2012. p. 694-701 8 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter11 Citations (Scopus)
Kirkland, O., Rayward-Smith, V. & De La Iglesia, B., 2011, Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning - IDEAL 2011. Yin, H., Wang, W. & Rayward-Smith, V. (eds.). Springer, p. 317-326 10 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter14 Citations (Scopus)