Projects per year
Tori’s teaching, research and outreach interests lay in feminism and the politics of identity and is happy to supervise research projects in these broad areas.
Tori's first book Girls Like This: Boys Like That was released with IB Tauris in 2018 and she has published chapters in edited collections and articles in journals such as Feminist Media Studies, Boyhood Studies, Girlhood Studies and Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies. She sits on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Gender Studies and Boyhood Studies and is an Executive Team member of the Gender and Education Association. In 2020 she became a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Tori runs the MA in Gender Studies and is happy to answer any queries about the programme that you may have.
- Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor in Humanities, Interdisciplinary Institute for the Humanities, University of East Anglia, Sept 2020 – Present.
- Lecturer in Humanities, Interdisciplinary Institute for the Humanities, University of East Anglia, Sept 2013 – Present.
- Lecturer in Popular Culture, Department of English, Communication, Film and Media, Anglia Ruskin University, Spring 2013.
- Lecturer in Politics and Media, School of Political, Social and International Studies, University of East Anglia Autumn, 2011.
- Associate Tutor, School of Political, Social and International Studies, University of East Anglia, January 2010 – September 2013.
- MA (with Distinction) Media and Cultural Politics; BA(hons) The Politics and Sociology of Contemporary Culture (First Class) – University of East Anglia
Tori specialises in gender and youth, qualitative methods and feminist politics.
Key Research Interests and Expertise
Tori’s research interests are in the field of gender and identity during youth. She is particularly interested in how gender is reproduced through taste articulations and ideas of ‘appropriate’ performances of identity. She is an expert in qualitative research methods and feminist ethics.
Tori has published extensively in the field of feminist cultural studies and has acted as a consultant expert to organisations such as Plan UK and the Women's Equality Party.
Tori's teaching expertise is in the field of cultural studies. She primarily teaches Feminist Methodologies on the MA in Gender Studies and at Foundation Year level where students are introduced to research methodologies, key concepts in the humanities and study skills. She often provides guest lectures on the topic of feminism and gender studies on modules across the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and the Faculty of Social Sciences.
Tori is interested in supervising dissertations and research projects in the area of identity (particularly the intersections of gender, race, class, and sexuality), feminism(s), cultural politics, and popular culture.
As a working-class scholar, Tori is especially committed to teaching and encouraging the learning of students from a diverse range of backgrounds, particularly those from under-represented and minoritised groups in higher education.
In 2015 Tori was awarded the UEA Excellence in Teaching Award and in 2020 she became a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Deputy Chair of ResNet
- Community Outreach and Networking Lead for Gender and Education Association
- Editorial Board of Journal of Gender Studies
- Editorial Board of Boyhood Studies
- Regional Ambassador – Girl Rising
- Member of Arts Emergency
- Commisioned Researcher: Plan UK.
- Co-Founder of Day of the Girl Norwich
- Founding member of International Girls Studies Association
Course Director MA Gender Studies (2019 - present)
Placement Officer (2018 - 2019)
Employability Director (2015 - 2019)
Enterprise and Engagement Officer (2015 - 2018)
Plagiarism Officer (2014 - 2016)
Doctor of Philosophy, University of East Anglia
Award Date: 1 Jan 2014
Consultant Researcher, Plan International UK
- 2 Finished
1/11/12 → 28/02/13
Cann, V. & Thomas, C., 2021, (Accepted/In press) Mental Wellbeing in Schools: What Teachers Need to Know to Support Pupils from Diverse Backgrounds . Mahmud, A. & Satchell, L. (eds.). Routledge
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter
Cann, V. & Connell, R., 1 Jun 2021, In : Boyhood Studies. 14, 1, p. 1-5 5 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Special issue
Transition, Crisis and Nostalgia: Youth Masculinity and Postfeminism in Contemporary Hollywood, an Analysis of SuperbadCann, V. & Horton, E., Jan 2021, Cinemas of Boyhood: Masculinity, Sexuality, Nationality. Shary, T. (ed.). Berghan Books
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter (peer-reviewed)
Cann, V., 1 Jun 2020, In : Boyhood Studies. 13, 1, p. 23–42 20 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Cann, V., Madrid, S., Ratele, K., Tarrant, A., Ward, M. & Connell, R., 12 Dec 2020, In : Boyhood Studies. 13, 2, p. 1-8 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Special issue2 Citations (Scopus)