Projects per year
Yimin Chao obtained his PhD in Nanosciences from Newcastle University in 2004 with a thesis titled Electronic and optical properties of nanostructured materials. He held postdoctoral research fellowship at the Wolfson Chemical Nanosciences Centre at Newcastle between 2004 and 2007. He joined UEA in 2007.
Yimin Chao’s research interest is in investigating nanostructured systems, from the basic physical and chemical mechanisms of synthesis, through their optical and electronic properties to energy conversion, energy storage and biomedical applications. Current research themes include functionalization and characterization of Si quantum dots (Si-QDs); biomedical applications of QDs in targeted and monitored drug delivery; and applications in lithiun-ion batteries and thermoelectric modules. His research is carried out both at his laboratories at the University of East Anglia and in central facilities in Europe. These include Diamond Light Source (DLS) and ISIS muon source in the UK, PSI in Switzerland, Max-lab in Sweden and European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF), France.
I always welcome enquiries from potential PhD students. I would be particularly keen to recruit someone to work on semiconductor nanoparticles, but will seriously consider applicants wanting to work on one of my other areas of interest.
Wenyu Zhao, Zhiyuan Liu, Ping Wei, Qingjie Zhang, Wanting Zhu, Xianli Su, Xinfeng Tang, Jihui Yang, Yong Liu, Jing Shi, Yimin Chao, Siqi Lin, and Yanzhong Pei.
Magnetoelectric interaction and transport behaviors in magnetic nanocomposite thermoelectric materials under the intrinsic excitation.
Nature Nanotechnology, 2017, 12, 55-60.
Ting Wang, Hangang Li, Shaojun Shi, Ting Liu, Gang Yang, Yimin Chao, and Fan Yin.
2D Film of Carbon Nanofibers Elastically Astricted MnO microparticles: A Flexible Binder-Free Anode for Highly Reversible Lithium Ion Storage.
Jayshree H. Ahire, Qi Wang, Paul R. Coxon, Girish Malhotra, Rik Brydson, Rongjun Chen, and Yimin Chao.
Highly Luminescent and Nontoxic Amine-Capped Nanoparticles from Porous Silicon: Synthesis and Their Use in Biomedical Imaging.
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 2012, 4, 3285-3292
Qi Wang, Yongping Bao, Xiaohong Zhang, Paul R. Coxon, Upali A. Jayasooriya, and Yimin Chao.
Uptake and toxicity of poly-acrylic acid functionalized silicon nanoparticles in cultured mammalian cells
Advanced Healthcare Materials. 2012, 1. 189-198
Naif H. Alsharif, Christine E. Berger, Satya S. Varanasi, Yimin Chao, Benjamin R. Horrocks, and Harish K. Dattai.
Alkyl-Capped Nanocrystals Lack Cytotoxicity and Have Enhanced Intracellular Accumulation in Malignant Cells via Cholesterol-Dependent Endocytosis
Small, 2009, 5, 221,
Yimin Chao, Lidija iller, Satheesh Krishnamurthy, Paul R. Coxon, Ursel Bangert, Mhairi Gass, Lisbeth Kjeldgaard, Samson N. Patole, Lars H. Lie, Norah O'Farrell, Thomas A. Alsop, Andrew Houlton & Benjamin R. Horrocks.
Evaporation and deposition of alkyl-capped silicon nanocrystals in ultrahigh vacuum
Nature Nanotechnology. 2007, 2, 486.
- EPSRC Peer Review College member 2013 -
- UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships, Peer Review College member, 2018 - 2019
- UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships, Sift Panel, member, 2020 -
- Fellow of RSC 2016 -
- Treasurer, Chemical Nanoscience and Technology group, RSC 2016 - 2021
- Secretary, Chemical Nanoscience and Technology group, RSC 2021 -
- IOP member 1999 -
- Fellow of The Higher Education Academy 2011 -
- Science Board member, EPSRC Energy SuperStore Hub 2016 -
- Solar Fuels Network member 2013 -
- EPSRC Thermoelectric Network member 2013 -
- PhD thesis examiner, Newcastle University 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018,2019
- PhD thesis examiner, Imperial College London 2017
- PhD thesis examiner, University of Durham 2018
- PhD thesis examiner, University of Sheffiled 2019
Enterprise and Engagement activities
- Industry CASE study with European Thermodynamics Ltd - 01 July 2011 to 31 December 2014
- Industry research contract with Changzhou Tonghui solar electricity Ltd - 01 October 2016 to 30 September 2020
- Industry research contract with Biotronik SE &Co. KG - 01 March 2019 to 31 December 2019
- CERES Proof of Concept - 01 May 2021 to 31 July 2021
Key Research Interests and Expertise
We have developed both top down and bottom up routes to generate silicon nanoparticles in the past decade. The research in the group has been naturally emerged into two competitive arenas: energy materials and nanomedicine. In particular, cross linked with conductive ligands, functionalized silicon nanoparticles possess the potential to become the next generation of thermoelectric materials, and energy storage materials. In other hand, functionalized with carbohydrates, and co-encapsulated with anti-cancer drugs, silicon nanoparticles should play important roles in targeted and monitored drug delivery.
Current research interests include the following themes:
- developing functionalization methods further for silicon nanoparticles and exploring the applications in nanomedicine;
- cross linked silicon nanoparticles for thermoelectrics: materials generating and processing;
- 3D ordered silicon micro-channel structures for catalysts in biomass conversion;
- Nanoparticles as a scaffold for light harvesting molecules and catalysts in aqueous media
- Nanostructured silicon as anodes in batteries
Research Group Membership
Current group members
- Dr Jayshree Ahire, Research Fellow
- Dr Qi Wang, PDRA
- Dr Chenghao Yue, PDRA
- Miss Stephanie Violari, RSC summer project student
Former group members
- Dr Paul Coxon, PDRA, June 2010 - June 2012
- Dr Ke Wang, PDRA, May 2009 - May 2010
- Dr Qi Wang, PhD, October 2008 - September 2012
- Dr Jayshree Ahire, PhD, October 2010 - July 2014
- Dr Shane Ashby, PhD, July 2011 - July 2015
- Dr Mehrnaz Behray, January 2013 - July 2016
- Dr Tiezheng Bian, October 2013 - November 2017
- Dr Ting Li, October 2013 - January 2018
- Dr Chenghao Yue, October 2016 - December 2020
- Miss Ruoxi Liu, MSc by research, January 2012 - February 2014
- Mr Guodong Yu, MSc by research, January 2010 - May 2012
- Mr Jason Thomas, 3rd year Nat Sci student, 2012; MSc by research 2012 - 2014
- Mr Fred Huld, MSc by research April 2013 - 2015
- Miss Chun Li, Nuffield Foundation science scheme, 2009
- Mr Finlay Reid, Nuffield Foundation science scheme, 2011
- Miss Jenna Howlett, 3rd year BSc Chem student, 2010
- Mr Ashley Senior, 3rd year BSc Chem student, 2011
- Miss Steph Gooby, 3rd year BSc Chem student, 2012
- Miss Tasha Newby, 3rd year BSc Chem student, 2013
- Miss Naduni Paranagama, 4th year MChem student, 2014
- Miss Jalpa Patel, 4th year MChem student, 2014
- Mr Andreas Koulovasilopoulos, 4th year MChem student, 2015
- Mr Oliver Small, 3rd year BSc student, 2015
- Mr Pete Finn, 4th year MChem student, 2015
- Mr Anton Avakia, 4th year MNat student, 2016
- Miss Emma Blazeby, 4th year MChem student, 2016
- Miss Xanthia George, 3rd year BSc student, 2017
- Mr Kitson Lee, 3rd year BSc student, 2017,
- Miss Karis So, 3rd year BSc student, 2017
- Mr Michael Rignall, MChem 2018
- Mr Luke Sweeney, MChem 2018
- Mr Tom Wayman, MChem 2019
- Miss Chika Chima, MChem 2019
- Mr Max Johnson, BSc 2020
- Miss Sydnee Dronsfield, 3rd visiting UG 2020
- Mr Arthur Maund, MChem 2021
- Prof Xiaofeng Wang, Jilin University, July 2019- July 2020
- Dr Li Liu, Northeast Normal University, July 2019- July 2020
- Prof Yinghua Ye, Nanjing University of Science & Technology, July- August 2014
- Dr Zhen Huang, Fudan University, July-September 2014
- Prof Hualong Xu, Fudan University, June - September 2013
- Prof Wenchao Zhang, Nanjing University of Science and Technology, April 2012 - April 2013
- Mr Xiuzhong Yuan, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, February - June 2009
- Prof Hongjun Ni, Nantong University, May - September 2008
Nanoparticles; Thermoelectrics; Spectroscopy; Bioimaging; Lithium batteries; Energy conversion; Energy storage
I teach Chemistry and Physics in the following modules:
PHY-4001 Electromagnetism, optics, relativity and quantum mechanics
CHE-4001 Chemistry laboratory
CHE-6003Y Advanced Laboratory
CHE-7201Y Advanced Topics in Physcial and Nanochemistry
CHE-6350Y Energy Materials
CHE-7001Y Year long research project
SCI7RD6Y Nano-scale synthesis and characterisation
- Associate Director, Energy Materials Laboratory
- Wolfson Materials & Catalyst Centre member
- UEA China Strategy Board member
- Examinations Board member
- Teaching committee member
- Plagarism officer
- Extenuating circumstances panel member
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Devlopment Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Secretary, Royal Society of ChemistryJul 2021 → …
Treasurer, Chemical Nanoscience and Technology group, Royal Society of ChemistryFeb 2016 → Jul 2021
PhD thesis examiner, Newcastle University2014 → …
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/08/21 → 31/07/23
Lettice, F., Alexander, M., Askounis, A., Baker, A., Cammidge, A., Chao, Y., Fabian, L., Fielden, J., Hernaez Saenz De Zaitigui, M., Hui, O., Kaplani, E., Khimyak, Y., Liss, P., Lord, R., Marin, M. J., Mayes, A., Melendi-Espina, S., Nolte, S., Romanov, A., Saeed, A., Sobolewski, A., Tolhurst, T. & Wright, J.
6/11/20 → 5/05/22
Superparamagnetic, thermoresponsive, antibacterial polyurethane/Fe3O4 nanocomposite for use in pelvic floor repair
1/01/20 → 15/07/22
1/02/19 → 31/07/24
Acid hydrolysis to provide the potential for rice-husk-derived C/SiO2 composites for lithium-ion batteriesMa, L., Liu, L., Liu, X., Li, Y., Feng, Y., Tian, Y., Chao, Y., Zhu, Y. & Wang, X., Aug 2021, In: Journal of Electronic Materials. 50, 8, p. 4426–4432 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review1 Citation (Scopus)
Wang, Q., Bao, Y. & Chao, Y., 11 Feb 2021, In: RSC Advances. 11, 13, p. 7280-7293 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)11 Downloads (Pure)
Emission and theoretical studies of Schiff-base [2+2] macrocycles derived from 2,2′-oxydianiline and zinc complexes thereofWang, K., Chen, K., Bian, T., Chao, Y., Yamato, T., Xing, F., Prior, T. J. & Redshaw, C., Jun 2021, In: Dyes and Pigments. 190, 109300.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Extracting lignin-SiO2 composites from Si-rich biomass to prepare Si/C anode materials for lithium ions batteriesLi, Y., Liu, L., Liu, X., Feng, Y., Xue, B., Yu, L., Ma, L., Zhu, Y., Chao, Y. & Wang, X., Apr 2021, In: Materials Chemistry and Physics. 262, 124331.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review2 Citations (Scopus)
Facile and scalable synthesis of Si@void@C embedded in interconnected three-dimensional porous carbon architecture for high performance lithium ion batteriesMa, J., Tan, H., Liu, H. & Chao, Y., Mar 2021, In: Particle and Particle Systems Characterization. 38, 3, 2000288.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review1 Citation (Scopus)