Projects per year
- Module 13 (Emergency Care) Lead for Year 5 Medical Students.
- Theme Lead for Clinical Pharmacology
- European Editor, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (2008 - ongoing)
- Co-convenor Cochrane Adverse Effects Methods Group (2007 - ongoing)
- Bruce Squires Award from the CMAJ for the Best Research Paper of the Year; Singh S, Loke YK, Spangler JG, Furberg CD. Risk of serious adverse cardiovascular events with Varenicline- A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. CMAJ 2011; 1831359-66. (2013)
- Chair of the NIHR HTA Elective and Emergency Specialist Care Panel (2013 - ongoing)
- MBBS (London) 1990
- MRCP (UK) 1993
- Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training (Clinical Pharmacology and General Internal Medicine), 2001
- MD (London) 2003
Dr. Loke’s main interest is on how systematic review methodology can be used to answer clinically relevant questions on the adverse effects of medication.
Clinical Lecturer in Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, University of Oxford 1997-2003
- Systematic reviews and meta-analysis
- Adverse effects
- Indirect comparisons
I am a co-convenor of the Cochrane Adverse Effects Methods Group, and my special interest is in developing methods for evaluating data on adverse effects.
- Singh S, Loke YK, Enright PL, Furberg CD. Mortality associated with tiotropium mist inhaler in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ. 2011 Jun 14;342:d3215. doi: 10.1136/bmj.d3215.
- Golder S, Loke YK, Bland M. Meta-analyses of adverse effects data derived from randomised controlled trials as compared to observational studies: methodological overview. PLoS Med. 2011;8(5)
- Loke YK, Kwok CS, Singh S. Comparative cardiovascular effects of thiazolidinediones: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. BMJ. 2011;342:d1309
- Loke YK, Singh S, Furberg CD. Long-term use of thiazolidinediones and fractures in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. CMAJ. 2009;180(1):32-9.
- Song F, Loke YK, Walsh T, Glenny AM, Eastwood AJ, Altman DG. Methodological problems in the use of indirect comparisons for evaluating healthcare interventions: survey of published systematic reviews. BMJ. 2009;338:b1147. doi:10.1136/bmj.b114
- Singh S, Amin AV, Loke YK. Long-term Use of Inhaled Corticosteroids and the Risk of Pneumonia in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - A Meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 2009:169: 219-229.
- Singh S, Loke YK, Furberg CD. Inhaled anticholinergics and risk of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2008;300(12):1439-50.
- Singh S, Loke YK, Furberg CD. Long-term Risk of Cardiovascular Events with Rosiglitazone - A Systematic review and Meta-analysis JAMA 2007;298: 1189-95
- Loke YK, Price D, Derry S, Aronson JK. Case reports of suspected adverse drug reactions--systematic literature survey of follow-up. BMJ 2006;332:335-9.
- Derry S, Loke YK. Risk of gastrointestinal haemorrhage with long term use of aspirin: meta-analysis. BMJ 2000;321:1183-7
My current teaching activity is aimed at the improving the prescribing skills of medical students. I was awarded a UEA Teaching Fellowship 2004 for work on reducing prescribing errors.
I am a member of the British Pharmacological Society, and have worked on the society funded project that resulted in a publication of a systematic review on educational interventions for teaching prescribing in medical students.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
An evidence synthesis suite to inform a future randomised trial of reducing anticholinergic related harm in older adults.
1/08/18 → 31/01/20
Risk of serious adverse cardiovascular events associated with varenicline: a systematic review and meta-analysisSingh, S., Loke, Y. K., Spangler, J. G. & Furberg, C. D., 6 Sep 2011, In: CMAJ. 183, 12, p. 1359-1366 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review238 Citations (Scopus)
Risk of fractures with inhaled corticosteroids in COPD: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials and observational studiesLoke, YK., Cavallazzi, R. & Singh, S., Aug 2011, In: Thorax. 66, 8, p. 699-708 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review186 Citations (Scopus)
Meta-analyses of adverse effects data derived from randomised controlled trials as compared to observational studies: methodological overviewGolder, S., Loke, YK. & Bland, M., 3 May 2011, In: PLoS Medicine. 8, 5, e1001026.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review189 Citations (Scopus)
Comparative cardiovascular effects of thiazolidinediones: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studiesLoke, YK., Kwok, CS. & Singh, S., 2011, In: British Medical Journal (BMJ). 342, p. d1309
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review190 Citations (Scopus)
Loke, Y. K. & Furberg, C. D., 2007, In: JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association. 298, 10, p. 1189-1195 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article710 Citations (Scopus)